2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

DIY Steering Wheel Audio Controls

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Does anyone know if this is possible on a 2010 Sport with Paddle Shifters? I noted in an earlier post a brief blerb to the effect that "paddle shifters are hosed". I was rather hoping this wasnt the case. Any info greatly appreciated as to the possibilities of success. Also if it is possible any part numbers or descriptions i can use to search for the necisary parts would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much in advance.

Kirk

Old 03-29-2011, 05:32 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AdmiralKirk
Does anyone know if this is possible on a 2010 Sport with Paddle Shifters? I noted in an earlier post a brief blerb to the effect that "paddle shifters are hosed". I was rather hoping this wasnt the case. Any info greatly appreciated as to the possibilities of success. Also if it is possible any part numbers or descriptions i can use to search for the necisary parts would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much in advance.

Kirk

there is no difference between 2009 and 2010 fits.
so just follow the DIY and you should be fine.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:45 AM
What I mostly meant was that the existence of the paddle shifters wouldn't cause a problem. I'm relatively certain that they use rails on the clock spring and I wasn't certain in that case if their would two unused rails on my clock spring. I guess if no one with a 2010 Sport with paddle shifters has done this before the only way to know for sure is to take the steering wheel apart and tone out the clock spring to see if their are any unused rails. Thanks much for the reply, its always greatly appreciated.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:10 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AdmiralKirk
What I mostly meant was that the existence of the paddle shifters wouldn't cause a problem. I'm relatively certain that they use rails on the clock spring and I wasn't certain in that case if their would two unused rails on my clock spring. I guess if no one with a 2010 Sport with paddle shifters has done this before the only way to know for sure is to take the steering wheel apart and tone out the clock spring to see if their are any unused rails. Thanks much for the reply, its always greatly appreciated.

i have paddles 2. trust me you have plenty of slots left over.
you also have to remember. when you buy the navi model
you get blue tooth also. there goes some more slots.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:05 AM
Awesome, thank you very much for your helpful replies. Its always nice to find a forum where people are actually helpful. Greatly appreciated. Gonna start googling around for the part. I believe this part # (36770-SVA-A12) is the correct one from what I've found. I don't really have any good scrap yards around here so I'm stuck buying new, ebaying it or finding some online scrap yard willing to ship. Any suggestions thier would be appreciated but im pretty confident in my google-foo so I'm hoping i can find it. Thanks again!

Old 04-13-2011, 05:29 PM
I noticed it looks like the wires that you cut and the wires you spliced back together look like they're the same set of wires?

Old 04-13-2011, 09:47 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ebouwman
I noticed it looks like the wires that you cut and the wires you spliced back together look like they're the same set of wires?

i guess they are the same across the board with honda.
they are used for illumination of the buttons.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Question

So I'm curious since I didn't see it explicity written anywhere...

You can cannibalize from a Honda Civic 3-spoke or similar and do some slight modifications, I understand that, but from another post from polokid, it seemed as if ordering 36770-TK6-A41 would be plug-n-play, correct? I'm interested in adding the audio buttons to my '11 Sport 5MT...

Old 05-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by mhadden
So I'm curious since I didn't see it explicity written anywhere...

You can cannibalize from a Honda Civic 3-spoke or similar and do some slight modifications, I understand that, but from another post from polokid, it seemed as if ordering 36770-TK6-A41 would be plug-n-play, correct? I'm interested in adding the audio buttons to my '11 Sport 5MT...
You will still have to add two wires from the back of the coil spring to the back of the deck.

Keep in mind that you shouldn't have to redo the whole button harness. You could take the existing button, splice in the illumination wire then add those two wires from the new button to the harness.

I haven't done this yet soley because I don't know how to add wires to a harness. And my go to guy (my brother) for this kind of stuff doesn't know either.

Last edited by ebouwman; 05-03-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:39 AM
You will still have to add two wires from the back of the coil spring to the back of the deck.

Keep in mind that you shouldn't have to redo the whole button harness. You could take the existing button, splice in the illumination wire then add those two wires to the harness. So if you're going to mess with wiring you might as well just buy the button second hand and save some $$

I haven't done this yet soley because I don't know how to add wires to a harness. And my go to guy (my brother) for this kind of stuff doesn't know either.
Hmm....thanks for the insight. In cases like this, it pisses me off that Honda doesn't have everything prewired (like Toyota).

Old 05-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by mhadden
Hmm....thanks for the insight. In cases like this, it pisses me off that Honda doesn't have everything prewired (like Toyota).
I bet you anything the civic is plug and play.

In the fit the controls only come with the navi pack witch also comes with blutooth (I think) so its more than just that one button pack. Also thenavi unit could also have a different harness all together. Doesn't make sense to run wires in our harness that will never be used ever from the factory.

I really like Toyota's stuff, didnt like the interiors on comparable models, at least not when I looked a few years ago. What I REALLY love is how they seem to make the engine easy to work on, at least thats been the case one Toyota's I've looked at/owned. Like they're built by someone who loves to take apart engines

Old 05-03-2011, 11:53 AM
...I really like Toyota's stuff, didnt like the interiors on comparable models, at least not when I looked a few years ago. What I REALLY love is how they seem to make the engine easy to work on, at least thats been the case one Toyota's I've looked at/owned. Like they're built by someone who loves to take apart engines
I'll agree with you there. Their interiors lately have been complete garbage (subpar materials and quality). In fact, I just traded my '10 Corolla for the Fit since I couldn't stand to be in the 'Yota anymore. However, I still miss my old '06 Taco and '07 Tundra....

Old 05-05-2011, 01:51 AM
5 Year Member
Any tips on getting my hands on a wiring harness or the wiring pins? I cant find them at the junkyards... *sadness*

Old 05-05-2011, 05:08 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tamisan
Any tips on getting my hands on a wiring harness or the wiring pins? I cant find them at the junkyards... *sadness*

i might have a few sets extra. i have to look for you. it's been awhile
and i have to find the stuff and make sure it's the right stuff.
you know make sure it's the good stuff
but kidding aside i will check for ya if your interested?

Old 05-05-2011, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
Talking

ya, that would be great. thanks for the quick reply. I already have the buttons and started working on the DIY. so this is the only thing thats been stopping me. i'd appreciate it bro. will cover shipping/handling for your time. once again. mucho thanks!

Old 06-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Any idea if you can use the wheel like this one here?

06-09 Civic Wheel

I'm guessing their both the same harness and buttons, but ya never know.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:48 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kimomono
Any idea if you can use the wheel like this one here?

06-09 Civic Wheel

I'm guessing their both the same harness and buttons, but ya never know.

from what another member posted it will not work. i never personally checked.
but this for sure will work. 2006-10 HONDA CIVIC STEERING WHEEL LEATHER | eBay
now keep in mind i got mine for $50 shipped from a yard. so look around and you'll find something cheap.
try car-part.com
there are 2 at least on there right now. one for 65 and the other for 75.
both civic si wheels.
good luck

Old 06-15-2011, 06:39 PM
great DIY! thanks for sharing!!

Old 06-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Great DIY, I just got a '11 Fit Sport (which does not have radio controls), looks like a good weekend project.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:44 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
thanks for the replies. just get yourself pins and the rest is cake

Quick Reply: DIY Steering Wheel Audio Controls