2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

How to get your car serviced...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 09:41 PM
How to get your car serviced...

Im almost at 100,000 miles and wanted to post a note service and maintenance.

First, you want to do everything you are qualified to do on your own. For example, the air and cabin filter are no brainers. Easy to do. However, things like brake work you may not be qualified to do so you might want to leave that to the pros.

Second, in the past I have raved about getting the car serviced at the dealer and the advantages. Its easy if you know what you are asking for. If they say you need A1 or B1 service tell them you just want an oil change/tire rotation which should cost no more then $35 or $15 if you supply them with the oil. Look for coupons. Rotating the tires costs about $20. Each oil change/rotation should be no more then $60. However, in recent times I have trended away from the dealership logic. I would find a trustworthy independent mechanic who is known for being honest and doing good work in the area. Let them do all of the work which you cant do yourself.

Third, here is the real maintenance schedule for the Honda Fit.

- Every 7000 miles or 15% on the minder, its oil change/tire rotation. The cost for this service should be no more then $60 total The dealer may talk about A1 or B1, etc. The A and B include mechanical checking which you dont need and they will do anyway when they do the oil change. Tell them you dont want A or B service and "just want an oil change/tire rotation". Look for coupons on their website.

- Every 30,000 miles you need to flush (4 times drain/fill) the auto transmission or just do a drain&fill of the transmission every 7000 miles. The manual says every 60,000, but any transmission professional will tell you for any transmission its really 30,000. Honda says 60,000 because they want to make the Fit transmission appear maintenance-free. Nope, no slush box is free of maintenance. Follow the 60k per tranny flush schedule and the result is sloppy shifting, premature wear.

- Every 2-3 years change the brake fluid. The manual says 3 years, but most manufacturers say 2 years. The logic behind a brake fluid change is that water gets into the fluid over time and the water does not help with braking. If the water is allowed to build up without a change of fluid then eventually the system fails or becomes unsafe decreasing braking action.

- Coolant Every 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first.

- Cabin filter/Air filter- Do it yourself every other oil change and go to RockAuto Parts Catalog to get them. They are cheapest at that website and a fraction of the cost of original Honda. You dont need original Honda air filters. Its all paper anyway and not much more then that.

- Spark plugs every 105,000 miles and get them off RockAuto Parts Catalog.

- Parking brake adjustment. A slight rise of the brake handle on the console should be enough to lock those rear brakes. Over time this gets real loose in Hondas so its a wise safety precaution to have this adjusted every 50k. You dont have to get it done and many people dont get it done, but just a precaution...

Fourth and lastly, always try to do things as cheap as possible with the Honda Fit. If an independent mechanic, one which you trust, wants to do it less then the dealership then let them do it. If you have confidence in changing the oil in the driveway then do it. Walmart has cheap Mobil-1 0W 20 full synthetic. Honda blue coolant, spark plugs, etc are all cheaper on Amazon and places like rockauto.com.

The Honda Fit base model costs like 18000 out the door and the Sport model a bit more. Any money spent towards maintenance can be spent on a new Honda Fit. You shouldnt short cut maintenance, but you should do the cheapest action possible...

Old 08-14-2013, 07:20 PM
Good advice!

My input... Depending on how long you wish to maintain the car, try to invest in doing proper maintenance. There are many ways to perform proper maintenance while keeping the cost down.

- if you want to save some money, learn to do oil changes and use synthetic. If you're not sure of oil filter quality, go with Honda filter.

- if you're game, buy some tools and learn how to replace brake pads and rotors. (Shoes are a bit more complex, but easily learned too)

- if you can replace brake pads, then you can easily bleed/replace the brake fluid

- auto trans fluid... instead of 4x drain/fill, try draining via the transmission cooler line and drain/replace 6 quarts instead of 3 quart drain/fill. There are numerous detailed threads in this forum.

- If you can follow very detailed steps outlined in this forum, you can replace the spark plugs yourself, too

- put on a decent set of tires. Don't go cheap. The whole car feels different with better set of tires. Usually the lifetime balance/rotation comes free. Think of it as treating yourself to a better ride comfort for few extra cents a day.
-

Old 08-14-2013, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
Man, I hope you are wrong about the 7,000 mile tranny fluid drain. When I bought my vehicle, it had 94,000 on the original fluid. I of course had it changed out. Same with the coolant; the guy never changed anything on this car except oil. Given the price of service, I will politely decline getting my tranny fluid drained out that often. I'll have to check with my private mechanic to see what he wants for the service before letting it ride for another 30,000. Thanks for the insights nonetheless. You've given us a lot to ponder.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the info, but I'm not sure I'd opt to do the 7000 mile 1x drain and fill.
4x every 30000 sounds better to me because I'd rather have all or most of the crap flushed entirely out of the A/T so I can start fresh.

If I only did 1x every 7000, the transmission would never be entirely cleaned out.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:57 AM
That is one great post..it will surely help a lot of people in maintaining their rides..thanks for sharing that post..really appreciate that.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
We NEVER had a problem with our last Honda Automatic by doing a 1X drain & fill every 30K or two years. And that was largely with the old Z-1 fluid, the newer DW-1 synthetic blend is even better (especially on the first shift during a cold winter day).

The first tranny fluid service was suggested at 60 K because the car started with a tranny full of new fluid. Changing 1/3 of of it every 30K (after the mileage reached 60K) seemed to keep it shifting well.

+++++++++++++++++
The OE cabin filters have some charcoal in them, I've read. If you don't care about that (no allergies), buy large A/C filter panels from Home Depot and cut them to fit.

++++++++++++

Honda oil filters are high quality, and are a good value when purchased in 6-packs from the online dealers. Some dealers even throw in the drain bolt crush washers for free.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
Coolant Every 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first.
I would never go more than 5 years with the same coolant. Does Honda really call for a 10 year interval?

Every 30,000 miles you need to flush (4 times drain/fill) the auto transmission or just do a drain&fill of the transmission every 7000 miles.
I also think thats a horrible waste of resources. Honda changed over to a fully synthetic fluid about 3 years ago (2010 models). Pulling the plug every 7K is asking for a stripped plug. Granted, I changed my fluid twice simply to switch over to the DW-1 fluid, that should easily last 60K miles. I know at 45K miles I still have some old fluid in the tranny, and I might do one more change sometime soon, but I would never do a 7K interval.

Last edited by Spacecoast; 08-16-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:25 AM
The Maintenance Minder does not have sensors stuck into the transmission fluid nor does it calculate precisely when the transmission fluid should be changed based on your driving style. The Minder only gives you a factory suggested interval to change the fluid and that interval is based on "Normal Service".

Honda does specifically state that if the Fit is towed behind a motor home, is used for towing or operated in mountainous terrain then the schedule should be changed to 30,000.

In the days before the Maintenance Minder they had actual schedules in the owners manual and they had two schedules. One for "Normal Service" and one for "Severe Service". The Normal Service schedule would state either 60 or 90, but the Severe Service would be 30. An example of that can be found at this link:

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...999O00132A.pdf

What is the definition of "Severe Service"? These articles are a good place to start for that definition.

Severe Service Requirements - AutoNet TV

http://www.aftermarketsuppliers.org/...ish/94-1R1.pdf

Should you maintain your vehicle by the 'severe service' schedule? - Sun Sentinel

So its safe to say there are a lot of people who should go by the Severe Service driving schedule. For example, everyone who lives in Phoenix or Denver. Phoenix very hot and Denver high altitude mountains. Many young people who really drive their Fit hard should go by the Severe Service schedule.

I believe Toyota suggests that you go by color and smell rather then mileage. if there is a color change in the fluid and/or the fluid starts to take on a burnt smell. Here is a good article on that:

Automatic Transmission Fluid Color and Smell; What Does It Mean? | Eagle Transmission

As for my personal experience, I do a lot of driving in and around New York City starting and stopping frequently. I use my Fit for business purposes. At 35000 miles the Honda DW1 was just starting to turn from red to brown. It was a very dark red. The transmission didnt feel like it was shifting like before. For myself, I feel draining and filling every 7000 miles is about right.

Honda has a specific way they want the fluid changed. They specifically forbid using any type of machine to "flush" the fluid. The only prescribed way to change all of the fluid is the 4 times drain and fill. This method will get rid of at least 95% of the old fluid which is good enough. If you just do a 1 time drain and fill that will leave 60% of the old fluid in there.

There are some people here who may need to change the fluid even sooner depending on what they do with their Honda Fit. The best advice is to monitor fluid color and/or smell. If the color isnt that light red then change it. If it smells burnt, change it.

The Honda DW1 is an improvement over the old formula, but it still needs to be changed. The color and smell needs to be monitored.

Last edited by SevereService; 08-18-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
For myself, I feel draining and filling every 7000 miles is about right.
So, are you saying that every 7K miles you are removing the transmission drain plug and replacing 3 quarts of synthetic DW-1 transmission fluid? That's probably over $20 worth of fluid every 7K miles, plus engine oil changes. I just changed my sons transmission fluid in his Toyota Corolla...its got 91K miles. It was the second fluid change and I was surprised how clean the pan was and how fresh the fluid looked and smelled. I plan on removing the pan drain plug next week so that I can add another 3 qts of new synthetic fluid (the pan drop/filter change removed over 4 qts of old fluid). Can't imagine doing this every 7K miles. Best to you though.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:47 PM
I dont think you understand how my car is driven. I have put 96000 miles on it since I picked it up in May 2011. Those 96000 miles were through the tri-state area and in New York City in stop/go traffic. Multiple starts/stops per day. The brake pedal pad is completely worn out and I an see metal. At 35000 miles the transmission fluid had a bit of brown to it. So, yes, in my case I do need to change it.

I buy my ATF off of Ebay for $57 per case. DW1

Originally Posted by Spacecoast
So, are you saying that every 7K miles you are removing the transmission drain plug and replacing 3 quarts of synthetic DW-1 transmission fluid? That's probably over $20 worth of fluid every 7K miles, plus engine oil changes. I just changed my sons transmission fluid in his Toyota Corolla...its got 91K miles. It was the second fluid change and I was surprised how clean the pan was and how fresh the fluid looked and smelled. I plan on removing the pan drain plug next week so that I can add another 3 qts of new synthetic fluid (the pan drop/filter change removed over 4 qts of old fluid). Can't imagine doing this every 7K miles. Best to you though.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:21 PM
How often do NYC cabs change their transmission oil? That's the ultimate in city driving.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:27 PM
Some of the larger taxi operations have their own shop. The smaller operations which dont have their own shop usually have a dedicated sublet shop. Those guys have their own maintenance schedules, but they do replace transmissions and are used to doing it. Here is a good article:

Taxi Tough: A Look Inside an NYC Cab Shop – Feature – Car and Driver

As for myself, I do not have a shop and a transmission change would absolutely kill my operating profit. I am a one man operation. So changing the fluid is good insurance for myself.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by SevereService
I dont think you understand how my car is driven. I have put 96000 miles on it since I picked it up in May 2011. Those 96000 miles were through the tri-state area and in New York City in stop/go traffic. Multiple starts/stops per day. The brake pedal pad is completely worn out and I an see metal. At 35000 miles the transmission fluid had a bit of brown to it. So, yes, in my case I do need to change it.

I buy my ATF off of Ebay for $57 per case. DW1
isn't a case 12 quarts? cheapest i have seen 12 bottles is $75 + $15 shipping on eBay

anyway, just looking for the best price. link please!

Old 08-18-2013, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by SevereService
That's an interesting article and a little worrisome. 100,000 miles/year per car, 205 cars in their fleet, and over the last 35 years they've replaced 3500 transmissions? That's a transmission every 200,000 miles.

I would think that most cars should be able to go, on average, more than 200,000 miles per transmission, even a NYC cab. That doesn't speak well for their fleet of Crown Vics.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
crown vics

Those Crown Vic's are pretty durable. I've seen them get to 150k + no problem.

The problem is most drivers of these vehicles beat the crap out of it without regard since they are fleet vehicles (cops, cabbies, officials, etc)

That is probably why that guy from the article has issues, that and he probably gets scrapped parts which probably dont last long either so if the first trans went out at 150k a salvaged barely rebuilt one would go 50k good for him but bad for his overall fleet average.

As for the crown vic's replacement......they've been using all types of midsizers but really need to get the new Ford Taurus. That thing is like a damn tank!

That or they can do what they've always done and get the charger...

as for the Fit I have 105k on mine, some issues here and there but my driving is severe (same as SevereService's) so I baby her. I sent a sample of my used synthetic oil out after my last oil change and it came back with good result (Blackstone Labs).

While not the most comfortable car, it really does the trick in the NYC metro area.

Unfortunately I dont think my next car will be a honda and I'll be taking my chances with another brand since I dont want a midsize car, and Honda's stylin has gone the way of the dino....

Old 08-22-2013, 10:49 PM
Every time I have performed a "drain and fill" of the transmission, it does seem to shift smoother. Another sign of when it needs fluid is how it shifts. If things seem a bit different or a bit rough, then it really needs some fresh fluid.

The changing of the tranny fluid all depends on how you drive. However, I do firmly believe 60,000 miles is too conservative. 30,000 miles should be the mark. For some folks, 30,000 miles is two years of driving and I think its fair to say at that point it should be changed.

The actual drain and fill is very easy to do. First, you need a 3/8 ratchet and you can connect the ratchet directly to the drain plug. You can reach the plug from the front and place a big 12 quart pan underneath you get at Walmart. Then use a long funnel to to the dipstick hole. Its very easy and can be changed in minutes. DW1 fluid I have seen on Ebay for as little as $57 a case but the usual price is about $80.

Given how I drive, I am perfectly comfortable draining and filling every 7000 miles. By 28,000 miles it will have been drained and filled 4 times. There would be only 4% of the original fluid still in there by that time. My car has 96000 miles on it and I have drained and filled every 7000 miles since 30,000 miles. At 30,000 miles I did a 4 times drain and fill to get rid of all the old fluid. I never once encountered a stripped plug or any issues besides some of the DW1 getting on the driveway. You could say that my trannie has had the equivalent of 3 complete changes. At 96000 miles the transmission is smooth and shifts the same as when I drove it out of the dealership.

The plug itself which goes into the drain hole should be replaced every 2-3 years. That plug is a magnet which serves as a filter. Over time it will become less effective as a magnet.

The Crown Vic needing a new transmission every 200,000 miles seems about right and they change the fluid all the time...the Vic has tranny coolers on it from the factory. Trannies are the least toughest component on any vehicle and it should be respected. The fluid within the tranny is key to longevity.

When you read my posts, keep in mind I drive daily, drive hard, several stops/starts and lots of city driving. I am very rough on my car.

Last edited by SevereService; 08-22-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
That's an interesting article and a little worrisome. 100,000 miles/year per car, 205 cars in their fleet, and over the last 35 years they've replaced 3500 transmissions? That's a transmission every 200,000 miles.

I would think that most cars should be able to go, on average, more than 200,000 miles per transmission, even a NYC cab. That doesn't speak well for their fleet of Crown Vics.
Ford did some cost savings in their transmissions on Crown Vics, Lincoln Town Cars, and the Merc Marquis. My town car's transmission needed a full rebuild at 110,000. The shop owner said he had one that just lasted 120,000. Has to do with the type 2nd gear they used from the factory. So an average of 200k on a whole bunch of these sounds quite likely.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:20 AM
I know a lot about Fords. There are quite a few incidents of auto tranny failures for Ford F and E series vehicles under 100,000 miles. Chevrolets I also hear have tranny failures under 100k.

As for the Honda Fit specifically, I now have 141000 miles on mine and they are mostly New York City miles. Several stops and starts per day. I have found the best formula for myself personally is one drain and fill of the transmission every 7000 miles. Otherwise, the auto tranny starts shifting funny.