Looking to replace my stock stereo soon

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 10:17 PM
Question Looking to replace my stock stereo soon

Hi everyone,
I've posted a few times over the years I've had my Fit and trust your input so I wanted to ask you all about a new subject: replacing my stock radio with a new one. I have a 2013 Fit Sport without the navigation.

The stock radio has had a mysterious problem since I bought it (I even found an old thread of mine about 2 weeks after I bought the car talking about the issue) but at this point it's not worth the effort to get it replaced - long boring story that I won't torture you with now. The car itself is fine I just want my radio to be better.

I'm not a handsy type of gal so my plan is to buy the parts from Best Buy and have them install it so if anything happens in the future they will fix it for free. I will get them to price match with Crutchfield at least so it's not a complete rip off. I know I'd rather use a local shop or Crutchfield but I need to go with a company that is national in case I move in the future. I got my bluetooth installed on my car in Tampa at a local shop and then moved to Seattle and I'm out of luck as far as having it fixed so Best Buy it is. I'm sure some of you all are shaking your heads and I wish I knew more about cars and electronics but I have bad luck with electronics and for me it's worth the security of knowing that if anything happens to the new radio it'll be fixed without jumping through hoops (which is what I've been doing with the freaking dealers in Tampa and Seattle to no effect).

Anyway....this is what I'm looking for (which is honestly pretty basic):
  • a double DIN as I think the single DIN will look to naked in the wide expanse of area that the radio takes up currently
  • bluetooth for calls and streaming music from my cell phone (with Spotify, Amazon Prime Music, Pandora, etc)
  • ability to use my steering wheel controls
  • looks good (I don't need it to look like a rocket ship though)
  • reliable company (ie Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine, etc)
  • looking to spend about $300 or less (I'm flexible if it's really kick ass)
  • integration with my phone apps is icing on the cake (I have an android)
  • usb/aux input on the front is more icing on the cake

*I know I need to buy all the wiring, harness, steering wheel controls etc too (and the installation fee)

I don't plan on installing a back up camera or watching movies or using it for navigation so those features aren't really important. I have noticed that there are double DINs without a touchscreen and I'm torn over going that route (which is cheaper) or having a nice touchscreen interface (though I've seen some pretty ugly ones). I plan to keep this radio for the rest of the life of the car.

I visited the Best Buy near me and the teeny bopper didn't know much so I'm trying to do the research on my own and via this forum. I have looked around the 2nd Gen ICE thread and didn't quite see what I was looking for so I decided to post.

I do think I'm leaning toward touchscreen as I like to see the music/calling info which you can't really see on the non touchscreen units.

Units that caught my eye:
Touchscreen
- Pioneer AVH-X2700BS
Pioneer AVH-X2700BS DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com
*I like that this has the MirrorLink for Android

- Sony XAV-68BT
Sony XAV-68BT DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Non touchscreen
JVC KW-R910BT
JVC KW-R910BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

I don't have Sirius and I'm not an audiophile.

I appreciate all your help!

Thanks,
Dawn

Old 02-02-2016, 11:17 PM
If you do any driving at night, I'd suggest making sure you get a radio that can dim its illumination when you turn on the headlights. Not all the aftermarket radios do that, surprisingly enough, and having a big screen blazing right in front of you does not help your ability to see things on the road. According to the Crutchfield descriptions, all of the particular units you listed do have a dimmer, so that doesn't help to differentiate them.

The Pioneer apparently won't let you (or your passenger) dial an arbitrary phone number while you're in motion. The Sony and JVC seemingly will, though it looks like it would be a big pain on the JVC with just the knob to dial.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:35 PM
Good point - thanks Drew. I live in Seattle so right now at 5pm it's dark so I definitely drive alot at night.

Originally Posted by DrewE
If you do any driving at night, I'd suggest making sure you get a radio that can dim its illumination when you turn on the headlights. Not all the aftermarket radios do that, surprisingly enough, and having a big screen blazing right in front of you does not help your ability to see things on the road. According to the Crutchfield descriptions, all of the particular units you listed do have a dimmer, so that doesn't help to differentiate them.

The Pioneer apparently won't let you (or your passenger) dial an arbitrary phone number while you're in motion. The Sony and JVC seemingly will, though it looks like it would be a big pain on the JVC with just the knob to dial.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:06 AM
May I opine in some of your decisions? I my link i think you should get navi. IT does so much more than you think. Some have XM WX- 2 letter aviation term for weather. It shows real time weather radar so you can re-route traffic jams because of blinding rain rain/hail, or reroute because a train derailed across the interstate and the road gas been closed for 4hrs already while you're paying by the hour at preschool or jazz. You can be on radio and major alert will sign in. It's worth even having reverse cam which cars must have by 2018 because lowers insurance so the risk are damage or risk hitting a small child or toy. The best deck for fits are Kenwood screen. Every steering button, aux jack and stock usb plus more in the back of the deck. Apple play or android work on the decks screen shows stuff from straight from phone, The deck has amps onboard. I held out buying to get the bugs out the system. Now im beginning to save untilk the 3rd gen to radios you like and post them here for help.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:37 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

I simply don't need the nav - I use Waze and Google apps to check directions to work every day on my phone (and I'd rather connect the phone to the unit than have it be a separate element) and don't want to pay for the feature. I mainly commute to and from work and currently don't have any plans for road trips.

Originally Posted by Desmond Lamar MacRae
May I opine in some of your decisions? I my link i think you should get navi. IT does so much more than you think. Some have XM WX- 2 letter aviation term for weather. It shows real time weather radar so you can re-route traffic jams because of blinding rain rain/hail, or reroute because a train derailed across the interstate and the road gas been closed for 4hrs already while you're paying by the hour at preschool or jazz. You can be on radio and major alert will sign in. It's worth even having reverse cam which cars must have by 2018 because lowers insurance so the risk are damage or risk hitting a small child or toy. The best deck for fits are Kenwood screen. Every steering button, aux jack and stock usb plus more in the back of the deck. Apple play or android work on the decks screen shows stuff from straight from phone, The deck has amps onboard. I held out buying to get the bugs out the system. Now im beginning to save untilk the 3rd gen to radios you like and post them here for help.

Last edited by graphixgurl; 02-03-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:25 PM
I have a 2012 fit sport. I just put in the kenwood DDX374BT. It was in your price-range and does all the things you want. It also dims.

Originally Posted by graphixgurl
Thanks for your feedback.

I simply don't need the nav - I use Waze and Google apps to check directions to work every day on my phone (and I'd rather connect the phone to the unit than have it be a separate element) and don't want to pay for the feature. I mainly commute to and from work and currently don't have any plans for road trips.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by luchobucho
I have a 2012 fit sport. I just put in the kenwood DDX374BT. It was in your price-range and does all the things you want. It also dims.
With this Kenwood and adapters, did you maintain lanewatch, backup cam, all steering wheel controls, and able to adjust clock on dash? Or...what did you lose?
Thanks!