My Sony, Zapco, Dynaudio Esotar, Morel, JL/Alpine, AudioQuest, Rockford Audio Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 02:50 AM
5 Year Member
I had been promising my self, that my last major purchase will be replacing my Sony XM-GS4 Amplifier with BRAX MX4 PRO, then I am done with modifying this car... (unless I might need to replace the engine some day... but that is a different story)...

However, I recently bought a pair Recaro SR-7 ASM Limited Ruby which cost around $5k with shipping from Japan, and a BRAX MX4 PRO would cost AT LEAST around $5k (if I can found a good discount from list price of $6k to 6.5k)...
I also still need to upgrade my home audio pre and power amp, buy another car this year,... and many other stuff I promise to buy for my wife etc. etc...
So when I found a BRAX NOX4 NON DSP Version, (I prefer NON DSP since I already have time alignment function from my Sony RSX-GS9), not to mention this BRAX NOX4 came with very special serial number# 321,
in Brand New In Box condition... and... at just around $1,28k including tax...

I decided to lower my expectation, and be more reasonable (this is very hard to do)...
I know the BRAX NOX4 with just 4 x 100watt at 4 ohms RMS is adequate vs. a BRAX MX4 PRO at 4 x 300 watt RMS at 4 ohms especially since I am just going to use this 4 channel amps to drive my Front Stage Dynaudio Esotar MidBass and Tweeter...
BRAX NOX4 also looks very similar to a BRAX MX4 PRO, just smaller..., it's just that it's not "the" MX4 PRO...
But at the end of the day, my logic win against my passion this time and so I save at least around $4k compare to a BRAX MX4 PRO, which is quite a good saving considering a McIntosh latest home audio pre-amp, the C53 only list at $8k

Anyway, the BRAX NOX4 just arrived today, and I must say, I am glad I lowered my goal
below is the pictures, the build quality is amazing, I mean, just one look at those power and speaker terminal shows the craftsmanship.
Now I am having a good dilemma, should I install my Beatrush Pillow Ball Mount (for my suspension) first this weekend, or the BRAX NOX4...

Old 12-09-2019, 04:06 AM
5 Year Member
I install My BRAX NOX4 this weekend,

Here are the steps:
Use Paper to create bolt pattern then Drill on the amp rack (MDF) and install the Wood Nut Insert:

I used SPACER with Hex Socket Screw, (also use several washers, include plastic washer between Hex Socket Screw and Amp Mounting Holes to reduce friction and reduce scratching):

Ran Speaker Wires and RCA Cables, and secure them with Cable Holder:

Cut new 1/0 AWG Power Cable then protect them using TechFlex:

Mount Amp to Amp Rack:

Connect all wiring:

Turn On for First Time and Adjust GAIN:

Install the Gain Cover Back:

I play several Reference Song that I knew very well, and immediately I notice compare to my old Sony XM-GS4 power amp, this BRAX NOX4 has:
a. Much LOWER Noise Level
b. The Bass, Midrange, and Treble sounds more Natural and more Pleasant to my ear, almost like my home audio system (I am using B&W 804D3 speaker, Wadia Amp for my home audio system).
c. Even better Imaging, More Revealing, especially in the Lower Level Details

In summary, my car audio system is now PERFECT for my ear (and of course for the eye candy effect ), so finally, I can close this Audio Upgrade Project