2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

My JDM DISK BRAKE RS Rear Axle conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member
Why not just go with the Spoon's?

Functional & lightweight... Plus they will match when you get your Bilsteins, with the blue. So will the yellow on your rear calipers... Nice job, btw.

Last edited by FitStir; 05-13-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
Why not just go with the Spoon's?

Functional & lightweight... Plus they will match when you get your Bilsteins, with the blue. So will the yellow on your rear calipers... Nice job, btw.
Hi Fitstir,
Those spoon caliper are very small in size,
remember, I am doing all this just for looks,
I don't mind "heavyweight" and "slow" car hahaha

The Spoon Caliper also will NOT accommodate a 355mm rotor, I don't even think it will accommodate a 328mm rotor...,
so the rotor diameter will be small and I want the largest rotor that I can fit on my 18in wheel to fill up the spokes.
That is the reason why I choose my wheel cause the spokes is thin and it will show the large rotor and brake caliper

some 18in wheel can accommodate a 380mm rotor but none of them available in 4x100pcd and I don't want to change my hub, and 19in wheel is too big (visually) for my car and not look proper, so for 18in wheel, 355mm rotor (or max 365 rotor) is the best combo.

Few weeks ago, there is someone who wants to sell a Brand New Brembo GT Turismo Kit for Acura Integra NON type R (which will fit bolt on to Honda Fit Front Wheel). I almost bought this kit because he want to sell it for just $1,800 brand new !!! and he have this pictures of comparing the Spoon Caliper to
Acura Caliper (the Acura Caliper is the same size as the Brembo Caliper that he was trying to sell), and it really show how small the spoon caliper is. And I also realize that the Acura Caliper is also still small for an 18in wheel..., so I decided not buying that kit for Acura Integra and start doing my own research.

Name:  Brembo20vs20Spoon202_zpsb8ac798e.jpg
Views: 1687
Size:  74.3 KB

Name:  Brembo20vs20Spoon201_zps22b37867.jpg
Views: 1522
Size:  77.1 KB

Now here is a pictures of Car with 18in wheel and FRONT 355mm Brembo Rotor with 6 piston Caliper:

The Acura/Brembo 4 piston Caliper is only about HALF the length of the 6 piston Brembo Caliper, and the Spoon Caliper is even smaller then the Acura/Brembo with 4 Caliper...

Ok, now check the REAR Caliper of the 2 pictures of BMW BELOW, again the REAR,
and That REAR Brembo Caliper is still larger than the Spoon Caliper,
so you can imagine how small the spoon caliper is.
Also the front red caliper on the BMW picture below is also the 6 piston caliper that I like and it is inside an 18in wheel too.
Name:  IMG_5568.jpg
Views: 1673
Size:  158.2 KB

Name:  IMG_7398.jpg
Views: 1516
Size:  242.9 KB

Last edited by BMW ALPINA; 05-13-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
I am pretty sure this Honda have 18in wheel with around 355/365mm rotor and 6 piston AP Racing Front Caliper, and you can see it looks nice too

Old 05-13-2013, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
So go with the bigger Spoon calipers?
Name:  IMAG0119.jpg
Views: 1680
Size:  71.3 KB
^That's on an NSX. Spoon caliper install

I only posted twinblocks since those have been done on Fit's with relatively little modification (just new rotors & 3mm spacer). The Spoon's above I believe will fit up to 320mm (from what I've found on the webz).

Comparison shot below. Spoon Twinblock Vs. Monoblock - EK9.org JDM EK9 Honda Civic Type R Forum

Those giant BBK's look great, but overkill on the Fit. Atleast you'll be able to stop on a dime.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks,

I never knew there are larger spoon caliper,
but even the larger spoon caliper is still small compare to the Brembo 6 piston caliper.

and if I want just 320mm rotor, the Brembo GT Turismo kit for Acura Integra NON Type R is readily available without any modification needed for our Honda Fit.
The price for Brembo GT Turismo GT kit for Acura Integra NON Type R is only
around $2,500 brand new including floating hat, rotor, bracket, Goodridge brake line and of course the 4 piston Brembo caliper about the size of that larger spoon caliper.
If I am not mistaken those Spoon caliper alone cost at least $1,800 right?
in fact the guy who want to sell the Acura Integra Brembo kit (open box condition but brand new) only want $1,800 for the entire kit that he had...

but since I had decided that I want to put as large caliper and as large rotor,
I had to buy a Brembo kit with 355mm rotor and 6 piston caliper.
This kit should cost around $3,200 including all the hat, and rotor,
so it is still a good price from Brembo.
Yes, Stoptech is cheaper, and AP racing is about the same price as Brembo,
but I want my caliper to have "Brembo" name on it
real Brembo (not plastic cover brembo of course hahaha)...
and a Spoon is NOT a Brembo

Spoon (Nissin and made in Japan) is nice and expensive, but it is smaller and it is NOT an "Italian" Brembo

you know,
like Kia/Hyundai which is a nice and good quality car but is still NOT a Honda

heck, come to think of it, even some Hyundai I think have Brembo as factory standard brakes...
I think my Honda Fit deserve nicer shoe "accessories" (if you can imagine your wheel as shoe for the car, then the
brake is like the shoe accessories hahaha

Last edited by BMW ALPINA; 05-13-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BMW ALPINA
If I am not mistaken those Spoon caliper alone cost at least $1,800 right?
Brand new sets go for ~$1100 US before shipping & forwarding fees on rakuten. With the $ being stronger, the deals on JDM stuff is better. Even from a US distributor ~$1300 and up.

but I want my caliper to have "Brembo" name on it
real Brembo (not plastic cover brembo of course hahaha)...
and a Spoon is NOT a Brembo

Spoon (Nissin and made in Japan) is nice and expensive, but it is smaller and it is NOT an "Italian" Brembo
Hehehe.. can't argue with that... The Spoons are also lighter the smaller twinblocks are 2.4kg's and the bigger monoblocks are 2.6kgs.

you know,
like Kia/Hyundai which is a car but is still NOT a Honda
Fixed it for ya...

Old 05-13-2013, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
The main reason to go with the Spoon calipers does not seem to apply for BMW ALPINA

Hi Fitstir,
Those spoon caliper are very small in size,
remember, I am doing all this just for looks,
I don't mind "heavyweight" and "slow" car hahaha
And to fill up all that space behind an 18", I guess only a 6 pot will do...

See though, I DO need lite weight and the ability to still run a 15" wheel. In the future, if I am looking to eek out even more and stay in my current class, I will go with the Spoon twin block setup. Not because it will provide even "better" braking, but because it should save 2-3 pounds of un sprung weight

Where can I get twin blocks for $1300

Old 05-13-2013, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TPColgett
The main reason to go with the Spoon calipers does not seem to apply for BMW ALPINA

See though, I DO need lite weight and the ability to still run a 15" wheel. In the future, if I am looking to eek out even more and stay in my current class, I will go with the Spoon twin block setup. Not because it will provide even "better" braking, but because it should save 2-3 pounds of un sprung weight

Hi TPColgett,
for your application,
do you ever consider buying a Wilwood 2 piece Aluminum Hat and Steel Rotor combo?

Like this combo for example:
Wilwood High-Performance Disc Brakes - Hat No: 170-6288 (1.4lbs)
with 12 in ventilated front rotor:
Wilwood High-Performance Disc Brakes - Rotor No: 160-12287 (9lbs)

The combine weight with the rotor/hat mounting bolt will most likely still LESS than 11 pounds per side
and you will have 12in rotor size which should still fit inside 15 in wheel,... right?

the price for both of them (LEFT AND RIGHT) with their mounting bolt will only be around $400.
summitracing sell them at cheaper price compare to wilwood direct price.

of course you still need to make a bracket for your caliper,
and the bracket might add about 1lbs per side so total now will
became 12lbs...

they also have slightly smaller then 12in rotors too... if you want even less weight...

remember the rotor is the ROTATING mass while the caliper is fixed mass,
so I think this rotating mass will be felt more then the fixed mass (just like adding more weight to flywheel)...

what is the weight of the stock Honda Fit all steel front rotor anyway?
is it less or more than 12lbs ?

Last edited by BMW ALPINA; 05-13-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the ideas!

I can't find it right now, but some one did a whole spreadsheet in one of the " DIY ITR Brakes" threads that compared the weights of all the options and that showed the Spoon's being lighter.

I have looked at the Wilwood option, but as you said, it adds a bit more weight per side (I think its 3-4 pounds heavier but I cant find the spreadsheet thread but I'll use 1 pound as an example).

VERY VERY VERY ROUGH MATH puts 1 pound of unsprung weight = to about 7 pounds of sprung weight.

The extra "14" pounds is not worth it at all for me. I don't need to do a ton of braking in AutoX in the first place LOL. IF I truly can save 2 pounds per side with the Spoon twin blocks, that - "28" pounds would begin to be worth it. On a 60 sec AutoX course, (Again VERY VERY VERY ROUGH MATH) 100 pounds of weight reduction is usually worth 0.1 in a low power car like the Fit. Also, there are really only a few class legal ways to cut weight, and this is one of them

Old 05-13-2013, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
Cant wait to see ur front brakes

SHOWCAR NOT RACE CAR

Old 05-13-2013, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
Brand new sets go for ~$1100 US before shipping & forwarding fees on rakuten. With the $ being stronger, the deals on JDM stuff is better. Even from a US distributor ~$1300 and up.

Hehehe.. can't argue with that... The Spoons are also lighter the smaller twinblocks are 2.4kg's and the bigger monoblocks are 2.6kgs.

Fixed it for ya...
Wow, Spoon for $1,100 is quite expensive,...

You can get a BRAND NEW PAIR of Brembo 6 Piston caliper for Porsche Cayenne Turbo Caliper (which I can use too if I have too)
for just $1,129 and FREE Shipping too
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290882743582...84.m1436.l2649

the problem with this Porsche caliper is they are NOT radially mounted,
so the bracket will be a bit more complicated compare if I use the Brembo Caliper with radially mounted type...

and they require 34mm width rotor, while I prefer 32mm weight rotor if possible...

The Brembo 6 piston caliper for Subaru BR-Z that I want to buy weight between 7lbs to 7.6lbs or around 3kg to 3.4kg max... so compare to Spoon larger caliper,
the weight differences is less then 1 kg...
while the Brembo is almost double in sizes...

of course for racing every bit of weight count,... and 1 kg different in unsprung weight is quite substantial for racing purposes...

I have not check the weight of the Brembo 4 piston caliper that is comparable in size to the spoon caliper though... so I have no direct comparison between Spoon 4 piston vs Brembo 4 piston...

Old 05-13-2013, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah.. I know.

.... I will go with the Spoon twin block setup. Not because it will provide even "better" braking, but because it should save 2-3 pounds of un sprung weight
It's also beautiful blue eye candy... hehehe..

Here's some links..
SPOON Twin-Block Caliper Set Integra DB8 DC2 Civic EK9
Shopping Cart total w/ shipping $ 1,308.82

Spoon - Twin-Block Caliper Set - Nengun Performance

Also Rakuten: spoon 45020-DCR-G00 - Shopping Japanese products from Japan ~$1100 before shipping & forwarding fees.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wafulz

SHOWCAR NOT RACE CAR
Hi Wafulz,

Me too,
I can't wait too, but my budget said I should wait,
and my budget also whispered "be prepared for a long long wait" hahaha

but definetely, as soon as I have free budget, I will do this,
(after suspension of course, don't want my car bumper to kiss the asphalt (exaggeration) because the front stock suspension is too soft when I brake with this kind of braking power, not to mention the rear tire will lift off too and that is not good... so suspension with stiffer spring and lowered height is a must before I can have this front brake modification)...

the rear one... (wilwood rotor and hat) that I might be able to do first,
in fact I want to do this sooner while my rear axle is still outside the car...
so I can design the bracket for the caliper easier...
but I might not install it until I have the front brake too,
cause it will upset the braking balance with the smaller stock front brake...

I also start thinking of how I can change the front brake master cylinder...
J's racing sold a larger master cylinder for JDM Fit RS,
but their outlet direction is different since they have the master cylinder on the right side (vs left on ours).

a 2010 USDM CRV master cylinder is the closest spec that I could find
(mounting spec) and have larger diameter master cylinder then our fit,
but again it have different direction for the outlet...

if any of you have any idea which larger master cylinder can bolt on to our Honda Fit (preferably 1 inch master cylinder),
please kindly tell me.
Thanks

Last edited by BMW ALPINA; 05-13-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

I can't find it right now, but some one did a whole spreadsheet in one of the " DIY ITR Brakes" threads that compared the weights of all the options and that showed the Spoon's being lighter....
Here ya go.
Originally Posted by Jodele
OK...this is an update to what we know for the Type-R front disc brake installation

If anybody has some information we can add to this list, please don't hesitate to post here.
The main reason as mentioned for the Spoons is weight reduction... also a little big of eye candy.
Since for you it's more practical... here's a thread that lists some 15" wheels that are compatible with the Spoon calipers (reply #12 ) ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/sale...-eg-ek-gd.html

Originally Posted by Wafulz

SHOWCAR NOT RACE CAR

Old 05-13-2013, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
Wow based on the list above,

even a 6 piston Brembo Caliper is still LIGHTER then a stock Honda Fit Brake Caliper ???!!!
I am really surprised...
so "ahem", I am saving weight after all hahaha
(you know, self defending my show car mods hahaha)...

although I am pretty sure the larger 355mm 2 piece Brembo rotor will still weight much more then our current 1 piece stock rotors,
at least 6 lbs more per rotor...

Old 05-13-2013, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
Here ya go.

The main reason as mentioned for the Spoons is weight reduction... also a little big of eye candy.
Since for you it's more practical... here's a thread that lists some 15" wheels that are compatible with the Spoon calipers (reply #12 ) ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/sale...-eg-ek-gd.html

This will be one SWEET show car for sure!

Hmm... I need to re read my rules to see if I can even uses spacers... at least the 3mm behind the rotor SHOULD be OK... Trying to add additional spacers to get my wheels to clear (15x7.5 +32 Rega/Sw388 knock off's or 15x7.5 +42 949 6UL) MIGHT not be allowed....

Old 05-13-2013, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
This will be one SWEET show car for sure!

Hmm... I need to re read my rules to see if I can even uses spacers... at least the 3mm behind the rotor SHOULD be OK... Trying to add additional spacers to get my wheels to clear (15x7.5 +32 Rega/Sw388 knock off's or 15x7.5 +42 949 6UL) MIGHT not be allowed....
Are you allowed to use longer stud? or open style lug nut?
if they allow you, then you can
Put your spacer BEHIND the rotor (paint the spacer black if you need too), and nobody will notice it...
shhhhh

Old 05-13-2013, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
Are you allowed to use longer stud? or open style lug nut?
if they allow you, then you can
Put your spacer BEHIND the rotor (paint the spacer black if you need too), and nobody will notice it...
shhhhh
Haha, yea I can and DO run both already. CHEAP insurance is how I look at it.

I hold myself accountable though, nothing fishy on my car! If I can't win by the rules then cant call it a win

But, my silliness is beginning to clutter your thread!

Old 05-13-2013, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
Haha, yea I can and DO run both already. CHEAP insurance is how I look at it.

I hold myself accountable though, nothing fishy on my car! If I can't win by the rules then cant call it a win

But, my silliness is beginning to clutter your thread!
TPColgett,
your post is still related and relevant to this thread,
please post more cause I really learn a lot from you about brakes and suspension

I do notice that this fitfreak forum is much more quiet compare to other car forum...
but long time ago when it was still GD time,
this forum seemed to be more alive...

I wonder will the next generation Fit (GE replacement) can bring live back into this forum... or not...

and came to think about it, will the next Fit have rear disk brakes as standard or not...

Old 05-13-2013, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
Tyler Help me with my alignment set up

i love it

it is quite here now : / but im still here alwasy will bee dnt plan on getting rid of the fit till 5 years from now mayyyyybeee i already source a tranny out to for my AT lol

Quick Reply: My JDM DISK BRAKE RS Rear Axle conversion