2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Koni orange or KYB with stock springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 05:52 PM
Koni orange or KYB with stock springs

I have a 2011 Fit with 150k miles (mostly highway) on it and planning on putting a Koni orange or KYB front and rear. I am not planning on lowering my car, so can I still use my old stock springs?
I would love to buy swift springs but my driveway won't allow me that. Even with stock height I need to enter and exit my driveway diagonally so it won't rub the plastic under the front bumper.

Thank you.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, they will work with stock springs. I'd like to hear experience of KYB vs Koni and the difference in ride quality. Trying to decide which way to go on our '11.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
I changed my stock shocks/struts with the Koni orange at 140k, keeping the stock springs.

It can be kind of a pain in the ass (and arguably dangerous) to remove the springs and reuse them if things don't go well. For the struts you'll need coil spring compressors (got mine cheap on eBay). One of the bolts wouldn't come off and I had to take a grinder to mine to cut the bolt off. Just make sure you're being careful to not lose any fingers while the spring is out.
​​​​​
Anyhow, the difference is night and day afterwards. I put on some Michelin Pilot Sport tires for good measure and it handles like a dream. I drive the mountain twisties every day and can't lower my car due to winter snowfall either, but it's pretty great with stock springs, good tires and shocks/struts.

Haven't tried KYB, from my research it seemed like they're designed to be OEM while the Koni orange are supposed to be slightly more performance oriented. I have put KYB on a different vehicle with 150k and it made a huge difference; really anything is a big difference compared to shocks with 150k on them.

Last edited by phybere; 01-20-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:58 AM
J20
Originally Posted by utsug
I have a 2011 Fit with 150k miles (mostly highway) on it and planning on putting a Koni orange or KYB front and rear. I am not planning on lowering my car, so can I still use my old stock springs?
I would love to buy swift springs but my driveway won't allow me that. Even with stock height I need to enter and exit my driveway diagonally so it won't rub the plastic under the front bumper.

Thank you.

Koni. Why? It's more massive. It can handle more punishment. Any bounce will be eliminated in an instant. Also with stock springs you get to use the full length of the koni.
shocks bottom length is towards comfort. Good combo. Suitable for lowering springs. But not the best for low soft springs like swift. Better for harder springs like progress. U would need a shorter shock to utilize full length. Maybe lowering sport shocks for a yaris and convert ids.

KYB is the best oem replacement.