2nd Generation GE8 Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the second generation Honda Fit (GE8)

How to clear TPMS light?

Old 09-14-2014, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
How to clear TPMS light?

2010 Honda Fit Sport. I hand tightened a valve nut only slightly (very mildly), and the TPMS light came on 20 miles later. Unless the TPMS sensor is extremely fragile, I really don't think the force I applied would have broken it. I have since loosened it up a bit. Assuming the sensor is still ok, how do you clear the TPMS light? I'd like to try clearing it first before swapping in a new sensor.

Will the ATEQ Quickset tool clear it? Can the lube places or walmart/costco clear it? I don't want to spend $100 just to "test it out" to see if its broken, or pay the dealer the full "relearn" price for just one wheel. I thought about getting the ATEQ Quickset tool to fix the problem and then selling it, but there's no one on amazon or ebay selling a used ATEQ Quickset tool, to the point I am wondering if the manufacturing is actually blocking people from doing that? Any advice? thanks

Old 09-14-2014, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitowner10
2010 Honda Fit Sport. I hand tightened a valve nut only slightly (very mildly), and the TPMS light came on 20 miles later. Unless the TPMS sensor is extremely fragile, I really don't think the force I applied would have broken it. I have since loosened it up a bit. Assuming the sensor is still ok, how do you clear the TPMS light? I'd like to try clearing it first before swapping in a new sensor.

Will the ATEQ Quickset tool clear it? Can the lube places or walmart/costco clear it? I don't want to spend $100 just to "test it out" to see if its broken, or pay the dealer the full "relearn" price for just one wheel. I thought about getting the ATEQ Quickset tool to fix the problem and then selling it, but there's no one on amazon or ebay selling a used ATEQ Quickset tool, to the point I am wondering if the manufacturing is actually blocking people from doing that? Any advice? thanks
First, check your tire pressure to see if its over 30 pgig.
If it is and the light is stiill on - and you checked all 4 tires - you may have affected te signal and will have to go to a dealer or other source to have the signal re-caslibrated to its ecu.
Mainly make sure your tire pressure is above 30 psig.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:42 PM
There are two lights associated with the TPMS: one, with the legend "TPMS", indicates a malfunction of some sort with the system itself; while the other one, which looks something like (!) (a tire cross-section with an exclamation point, sort of), indicates low pressure somewhere.

If it's the first light, it probably does mean that one of the sensors isn't working. It may be that you did actually break it—perhaps it got brittle over time—or simply that one of the built-in batteries wore out. Whatever the case there, I think the only real solution is to replace the sensor(s) that are giving problems, which does require reprogramming the car to the new sensor IDs.

There's nothing to be done or reset in terms of reprogramming the system to the current sensors if they haven't changed. That won't fix your problem. (OK, I should probably say that it is very, very, very unlikely to help, unlikely enough that I would not bother trying unless every other possibility was exhausted.) I think dealers and perhaps some tire shops have tools that can provide more definite diagnoses of what isn't functioning.

If it's the second light, the solution is simple and obvious: make sure your tires are all properly inflated. Once air is added to the low one, the light should reset itself.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitowner10

DrewE gave all the correct answers, so I will not repeat. The ATEQ Quickset will allow you to reprogram the car CPU to the sensor IDs on the car. It will also, with the help of a computer, tell you the current IDs programmed to the car. It will not clear an error, unless the error is that you have your car programmed for the wrong sensor IDs, but you know the correct sensor IDs, and then you could use the Quickset to store the proper IDs in your car CPU. This kind of error would light "TPMS" not the tire and "!" The Quickset will not tell you if the sensors are working and will not tell you the sensor IDs on your car. You need a different tool for that, such as the Ateq VT30. Loosening or tightening the nut will have no effect unless the sensor broke while you did this.

FYI the 2015 Fit does not use TPMS sensors. It uses an indirect system that measures the relative # of rotations per period of time of the different wheels. Less air pressure means smaller diameter means more rotations.