3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the third generation GK Honda Fit.

Great Intake Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
Yes and Yes!
Interesting!

So it means that stock box is already good compared to other types of intakes except for the last one. Hmmm!

Good read bro! Keep it up. That proto is somewhat promising and might get into production from someone.

What numbers does it compare vs stock? Im using torque pro app aswell. Hp/torque readings?

Old 04-16-2015, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sabawballs
Interesting!

So it means that stock box is already good compared to other types of intakes except for the last one. Hmmm!

Good read bro! Keep it up. That proto is somewhat promising and might get into production from someone.

What numbers does it compare vs stock? Im using torque pro app aswell. Hp/torque readings?
I try not to say an intake is good or bad (Except any that has a cone filter that is mounted over the transmission, by the firewall, with no cool air directed or getting to it, only heat. ).

1) The stock intake is fine for what it is. I was able to improve flow through it by removing the rain guard at the inlet and a little more by adding a tiny filter just past the maf sensor. I do not recommend either but I myself will drive like this without any issues. Doing both of these improved power and response. Changing the panel air filter to an HKS air filter improved airflow just a tiny bit as well. But stock is just fine as is!

2) Adding piping with an PRM air filter (Or an air filter not directly exposed to engine bay heat) blows the stock intake (with stock air filter, rain guard in place, etc) setup away period. Results were posted on 1st page. I consistently got 1/4 mile trap speeds 1.5-2mph faster than the stock setup.

3) I have yet to test this current setup. I tested a version of it with cold air piping going to it and if you notice, the trap speed of it was similar to the PRM intake tests I was doing but the 1/4 mile time itself was quicker than all of them. This version seems promising but I can't compare it to the stock setup since my front grill is different now. Throttle response feels great though and driving around town is fun. I don't trust how it feels though because we know when we think we are trying to improve something, we want to feel like it's better. I'll test and see what it does at the track. I want to test it with a slightly larger air filter I ordered.

From everything thing I have been reading and all the intake links, test and articles I've read, a cone filter directly on the throttle body (or maf sensor that's on the throttle body with an air filter attached to it **No piping**) should is the best for top end power. Not should be the best but IS the best for top end power. **Period** You just need to make sure it has dedicated cold air and that nothing is restricting airflow to it. This is why we test these things. I hate hearsay. I need to know from experience.

So when manufactures come out with their intakes (GruppeM, Weapon R, HKS, HPS, K&N etc), we can observe their design and see what claims are being made. You won't see me making any negative comments on them but it feels good to have an idea of what to expect with their design (if any are similar).

My HP/TQ readings have been unreliable. I can do two or more runs back to back and get a variance of 6hp or 8-10tq. So I don't report it. Been trying other apps as well to record dyno-like results but they all hate the CVT so results are all over the place. The drag strip doesn't lie to me though. BUT...give me a second, I'll post up my stock hp/tq average and where I am at now from my last 'street run' with this cold air box and my exhaust setup. ;-)

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 04-16-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
7 Totally Stock 1/4 mile runs done on 8-28-14 and 8-30-14.
Average Horsepower : 106.8hp
Average Torque: 99lb-ft
Average Intake Air Temp: 84F

3 1/4 miles runs tested on 4-13-15
Mods: Myxal CAI/SRI *with 2"HPS air filter used on previous model Fits*, J's Circuit Converter, J's B-Pipe, stock Pipe *1.65"* muffler inlet to 2" Flo Pro Max muffler.

Average Horsepower : 123hp
Average Torque: 103.7lb-ft
Average Intake Air Temp: 80F

So..there you have it.
BTW: You know what I like best about seeing numbers like this? Increasing horsepower without significantly increasing peak torque (or losing it). This is EXACTLY what I am aiming for so I'm not significantly adding a lot of torque to the CVT tranny but increasing the car's overall performance.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 04-16-2015 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:56 PM
Thank you for the numbers!

Yes i do agree that HP/Torque figures ain't reliable with the app. Best i got was

HP:129.2
Torque: 114.4

This is all stock as well but im using a 5-speed M//T with the L15Z engine. (This is what we got here in PH)

So in summary, probably the last intake will benefit the most really because of the shorter travel and air temp should be comparable to ambient temp.

Looking forward to your further findings man! great job!

Old 04-17-2015, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
LOL SRI-CAI Intake

I have about 2hrs left before heading out to the track. I want to try this huge S&B air filter out instead of the small HPS air filter. I want to somehow install a bigger 'torque box' too. This should help make the air even more free flowing and allow more air to be immediately available off idle and while travelling around at low speeds. Hell, it may help top end too.

Only....if we can somehow get it to work. I'm gonna give it a try. This will be revision #3 to the cold air box idea. BTW: This is not the filter I ordered (which is smaller than this one). I don't think this will work but I'm not a thinker....but a do'er. So...I stopped thinking about it. Time to do.....let's see.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
Myxal SRI-CAI
Revision #3 -- Monster S&B Filter

Here's how it came together. Took me a little over an hour.

I'll be heading out to the track like this in an hour for testing. Taking revision #2 with me too, just in case this big air filter suffocates itself inside of the box (which is the biggest I could fit in this location).

Here goes nothing...

Old 04-17-2015, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
Looks like our two brains may be onto something., lol.

I wish I could duplicate something for my GD3. I have the K&N intake which has a heat shield. But, once the engine is warmed up, I def. feel a difference in throttle response.

There's just no space for a cold air box to mount behind the battery.

Good luck with your testing!

Old 04-18-2015, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitguy07
Looks like our two brains may be onto something., lol.

I wish I could duplicate something for my GD3. I have the K&N intake which has a heat shield. But, once the engine is warmed up, I def. feel a difference in throttle response.

There's just no space for a cold air box to mount behind the battery.

Good luck with your testing!
Likewise with your testing! Perhaps a skinny box that is long would help. I dunno! Space is limited on these cars.

Well, track night sucked. It rained before the track opened so the whole track area was wet. On top of this, only the 1/8th mile was open, not the whole 1/4 mile. So I have no 1/4 mile data. All I have to go by is 1/8th mile info. I'll take what I can get and try to make the best with what I have to work with.

Myxal SRI-CAI

Huge S&B Air Filter in the Box (Revision #3)
1st run: 11.310 @ 70.76mph **Tires broke loose at starting line**
2nd run: 10.067@71.98
5th run: 10.310 @ 70.92mph
Time Average (Not using 1st run due to tires breaking loose --> 10.19
MPH Average of 3 runs --> 71.22mph
~~I really didn't want to use mph from run #2 since it inflates the results but that is what I got. Hate to add noise in the data that don't make sense to me. It's 70.84mph without that run though.

Small HPS Air Filter in the Box (Revision #2)
3rd run: 10.385 @ 70.46mph
4th run: 10.316 @ 70.09mph
Time Average: 10.35
MPH Average: 70.28mph

~~Outside temperature was 64F.

So overall the bigger S&B air filter in the box ran quicker and faster to the 1/8th mile mark. I'm leaving it in the car until this upcoming Wednesday. Then I'll be testing it against the PRM cold air intake that I last had on. It'll be interesting though because from looking at previous 1/4 mile tickets at the same track, the PRM intake is looking like it'll crush the Myxal SRI-CAI.
Here is the 1/8th mile average of 7 runs I did at the same track back on 4/10/15. Outside temperature was 55F.

Average 1/8th mile time: 10.18
Average 1/8th mile mph: 71.60mph

Until then.................

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 04-18-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
**Update 4/23/15**

The S&B air filter came in that I ordered. I wanted an air filter that was larger than the small HPS air filter (from the previous model Fits) but smaller than the HUGE S&B air filter I am currently using.

I had some concerns the about the HPS air filter being restrictive and wanted to rule that out. The huge S&B filter took up all the space in the box. Just seemed like the air getting into the box could only get into the maf sensor right at that location, while the rest of the filter was being smothered by the sides of the box. So...a filter that was sized right in between seemed like it would be perfect. I also wanted to have some extra filtering on top of the filter as well. Why waste that space.

**Perfect**

I ordered a blue filter to match the silicone and other bluish stuff already in the engine bay stock. Why not!?!

Anyways...that's all for now. I'm happy!

Old 04-23-2015, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
**Update 4/23/15**

The S&B air filter came in that I ordered. I wanted an air filter that was larger than the small HPS air filter (from the previous model Fits) but smaller than the HUGE S&B air filter I am currently using.

I had some concerns the about the HPS air filter being restrictive and wanted to rule that out. The huge S&B filter took up all the space in the box. Just seemed like the air getting into the box could only get into the maf sensor right at that location, while the rest of the filter was being smothered by the sides of the box. So...a filter that was sized right in between seemed like it would be perfect. I also wanted to have some extra filtering on top of the filter as well. Why waste that space.

**Perfect**

I ordered a blue filter to match the silicone and other bluish stuff already in the engine bay stock. Why not!?!

Anyways...that's all for now. I'm happy!
Oh man that is so much better alot more room to breath, iv got high hopes for this one to see how well it does

Old 04-24-2015, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cleangd3
Oh man that is so much better alot more room to breath, iv got high hopes for this one to see how well it does
Thanks CleanGD3! I ran some tests last night. I ran slightly quicker than the other two air filters but outside air temperature was around 45F (Cooler than my street tests with the HPS and Huge S&B air filters). Track temps tonight should be a high of 53F - 44F. Will see how it goes! I'll be happy with a 15.3-15.4 and 90mph trap speeds.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 05-11-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks CleanGD3! I ran some tests last night. I ran slightly quicker than the other two air filters but outside air temperature was around 45F (Cooler than my street tests with the HPS and Huge S&B air filters). Track temps tonight should be a high of 53F - 44F. Will see how it goes! I'll be happy with a 15.3-15.4 and 90mph trap speeds.
Sorry I never updated. Here were the results of running with the middle sized blue S&B filter Myxal SRI-CAI setup on 4/24/15 at Cecil County Dragway. Outside temperature was 54F.

15.391@90.53mph
15.503@90.76mph
15.415@90.09mph
15.567@89.70mph
15.501@90.22mph

I'm happy! Was consistently hitting 90mph trap speeds on just about all the runs! Averaged 15.48. I'll take what I can get. I'd be greedy to ask for more honestly. That's all for now.

BTW: I posted in another thread these runs because they were up against Mustangs. I noticed my air/fuel ratio was in the 13.1:0 range instead of the 12:1 like it usually is. I found that my filter connection to the maf sensor in the box was loose. It allowed some air to get in the intake, past the maf sensor. Once I fixed this, the air/fuel ratios were back to normal. I don't know what this will mean at the track. Will test but I doubt I'm gonna have any more cool nights like in March/April.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 05-21-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry I never updated. Here were the results of running with the middle sized blue S&B filter Myxal SRI-CAI setup on 4/24/15 at Cecil County Dragway. Outside temperature was 54F.

15.391@90.53mph
15.503@90.76mph
15.415@90.09mph
15.567@89.70mph
15.501@90.22mph

I'm happy! Was consistently hitting 90mph trap speeds on just about all the runs! Averaged 15.48. I'll take what I can get. I'd be greedy to ask for more honestly. That's all for now.

BTW: I posted in another thread these runs because they were up against Mustangs. I noticed my air/fuel ratio was in the 13.1:0 range instead of the 12:1 like it usually is. I found that my filter connection to the maf sensor in the box was loose. It allowed some air to get in the intake, past the maf sensor. Once I fixed this, the air/fuel ratios were back to normal. I don't know what this will mean at the track. Will test but I doubt I'm gonna have any more cool nights light in March/April.
Dude that is awesome to see seems like this would be the ideal set up for the fit, great to see you picked up some speed to, for an intake that is some great results, I hope companies can pick up on this and make something similar

Old 05-14-2015, 12:23 PM
MAF pipe

I want to make myself an SRI and build a box, but where did your order the MAF pipe that fit the GK. And can I find another Honda at the pick and pull that uses the same MAF pipe? Thanks.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by struthiocamelus
I want to make myself an SRI and build a box, but where did your order the MAF pipe that fit the GK. And can I find another Honda at the pick and pull that uses the same MAF pipe? Thanks.

Click this link ---> PART #3

I used a hacksaw to cut it out. At a price of $20.00, I couldn't pass it up. The end result wasn't pretty but I did it for function. It allowed me to play with all these intake setups. I just use a 2" in/out silicone adapter to attach it to the throttle body.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 05-14-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you for the numbers!

Yes i do agree that HP/Torque figures ain't reliable with the app. Best i got was

HP:129.2
Torque: 114.4

This is all stock as well but im using a 5-speed M//T with the L15Z engine. (This is what we got here in PH)

So in summary, probably the last intake will benefit the most really because of the shorter travel and air temp should be comparable to ambient temp.

Looking forward to your further findings man! great job!

Sabawballs,

There was one interesting observation I noticed when I went over a good amount of runs because my statement on torque didn't make sense to me. I looked over between 125-133 torque runs to see what the heck was going on with the torque numbers. Some where higher than others while the vast majority of my runs had low torque numbers. Here's what I found out.

ALL of my runs where I tap the gas pedal to get the rpm needle to jump up to it's power peak, my torque numbers were low. When I say 'low' I mean, my torque was 8-12lb-ft less than when I simply floored the car.

What I'm observing is that when I simply floor the car, I allowed it to travel the full rpm band, through the torque peak (4600rpm), up towards the power peak (6600rpm). Tapping the gas pedal allowed the rpm band to 'jump' over the torque peak to reach the 6600rpm power peak.

So for instance if I floor the car with my current setup, my peak torque may be 112lb-ft but if I tap the gas pedal going wide open throttle, I'd only see 104lb-ft.

I've never seen anything like this before but I'm perfectly fine by it. It allows me to go faster without any more 'peak' torque than stock. 'Peak torque' is the key word since I'm making a little more torque at the top end, which is in essence more peak horsepower. I hope all my rambling is making sense.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 05-14-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:33 PM
Good job on the intake designs. I will see you Sunday. Are you bringing the Fit or the Rav?

Old 05-14-2015, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Nobeanspls
Good job on the intake designs. I will see you Sunday. Are you bringing the Fit or the Rav?
Welcome to the site and thanks!

I'm not sure! I can't tell what the event is, what classes they have or anything. Cecil County just shows 'Import Invasion'. Also, I have time tomorrow to gather some more bits/parts if you need me too (4" piping, etc) from Verocious Motorsports. If you are thinking about testing other things out. It's going to be a hot one on Sunday (Mid 80's...and humid). Ugghh!

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 05-14-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:43 AM
Click this link ---> PART #3

I used a hacksaw to cut it out. At a price of $20.00, I couldn't pass it up. The end result wasn't pretty but I did it for function. It allowed me to play with all these intake setups. I just use a 2" in/out silicone adapter to attach it to the throttle body.
Thanks a lot Myxal. Tbh I am not doing it do much for the power and more for the induction noise. I can't stand how quiet these card are. Does it sound any better with the SRI installed?

Old 05-15-2015, 09:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by struthiocamelus
Thanks a lot Myxal. Tbh I am not doing it do much for the power and more for the induction noise. I can't stand how quiet these card are. Does it sound any better with the SRI installed?
Not sure! Between the original CVT noise, the exhaust and the intake, I don't know what's making what anymore. Even if I did, I can't help you on whether it's better or not. I've always like the sound of intakes but I forgot what my stock intake sounds like after going through so many.

Quick Reply: Great Intake Test