3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the third generation GK Honda Fit.

Great Intake Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
Great Intake Test - 2015 Honda Fit

Just want to fill everyone in (that are mildy interested) on an intake test I'll be doing this week if all goes well. The dragstrips are Atco Raceway in Atco New Jersey on Tuesday night and Cecil County Dragway in Maryland on Wednesday night. On both nights, I'll be testing out various intake setups. I have no expectations. It's just what I do as a hobby and having fun. Here are the setups I plan on doing (if I manage to get all the parts together).....

Car: 2015 LX CVT (Everything is currently stock)
Maf sensor: Maf sensor pipe piece was cut out of a stock 2015 maf air sensor housing. I ordered this previously to be cut up for testing.

1) Stock intake setup (Had stock wheels, rear seats installed, etc)
**Results from testing 8/26/14**,
17.261@82.34mph
17.133@82.66

2) HPS Intake Cone filter (2")--> Maf Sensor --> Throttle Body (Aka Myxal Intake on a Stick)

3) 2.5" S&B Cone air filter --> 2.5" straight pipe --> 90 degree 2.5" - 2" Reducer, --> Maf Sensor --> Throttle Body (Myxal Short Ram)
This setup will be angled towards the firewall with filter close to the firewall/transmission area. It is only a test!

~~Bonus Intake **Work In Progress**
4) Stock cold air inlet--> 3" flexible ducting --> 3" inlet to PRM air filter --> 90 degree 3" piping --> 90 degree 3" - 2.5" coupler --> 2.5" straight pipe --> 90 degree 2.5"-2" 90 degree silicone reducer --> Maf sensor-->Throttle Body.
**Will update with pics once it is completed**
Pic below is the general setup. The only part not connected is the ducting I have that will connect to the cold air inlet on the top part of the bumper. I have the piece but I have to perfect the discharge side of the PRM intake as it goes to the 180 piping. Once I get that right, it will be done.

I have no expectations either way. I've never been one to guess although I have an idea on how this could turn out. The stock intake looks like a good setup but I somehow have always been able to extract a little extra horsepower out by changing it from stock. Either way, the timeslips won't lie.
Yes, I could dyno and I love to dyno but there is none near me anymore and this is a real world test. Feel free to stop by the tracks yourself if you'd like to test one of the setups on your 2015.

This is all for now. I'll update if/when I get those other two intakes put together. Worst case scenario, I'll only be testing #1 and #2 intakes. There are all kinds of variations that can be tested. Feel free to try this yourself. I'm familiar with hot engine bay air, intake diameters, lengths, etc. Just sharing!

Tested this 'track only' with a pantyhose intake to see what results I got. I call it the 'Myxal Vacuum Cleaner Intake'

**Result from 9/26/14 Test**
16.01@88.96mph

Myxal LOL Intake (Laugh Out Loud)
This is basically the Myxal Intake on a Stick with a ridiculously huge air filter on it. I did it for shi*s and giggles. Restriction? Lol!
**Result 9/26/14 Test**
16.021@86.87mph

Here's the stock intake modified. Maf sensor bypassed. Gained .5 mph on topend at the drag strip. Air/fuel ratio's bumped up from 11.8:01 to 12.3-12.4:1.
**Results from 9/26/14 Test**
16.229@86.12mph
16.259@86.59mph

PRM Intake!

Installed HKS Panel Filter for testing. The filter model is 70017-AK001. Test will take place on 9/26/14 at Cecil County Dragway. Will post results.
**Results**
16.196@86.45mph
16.412@86.38mph

Final Intake! Cold-Air PRM Intake COMPLETED...(Perfect)

**Edit**
Saving link to reference another time --> Pipe Sizing Calculator
Please disregard...

***Final Intake: Myxal SRI-CAI***
I consider this intake the best of the best. Shortest route to throttle body, no bends, big air filter and always ambient air temperature getting fed to it, as close to the outside of the car as possible. Also, trying to force feed the air to it by means of the J's racing grill. It ain't pretty but I'm all about function. THIS functions very well. Tested over and over on the track as well as other 'controlled environments'. Keep in mind that my throttle body has been bored out by Maxbore. The maf sensor housing is from a 2014 1.8ltr Honda Civic (N/A) and has been tuned with Ktuner. So...everything is a large as possible from the throttle body, the coupling attached to it, the maf sensor as well as the air filter.

And for your tech heads, this intake is supported through scientific testing.
Influence of intake pipe length and diameter on the performance of a spark ignition engine
The last paragraph of this article states...and I quote, "Intake pipe length and diameter can influence engine performance. Long intake pipe produces higher volumetric efficiency, torque, and power at low engine speeds, while, for high engine speeds, short pipe length produces higher engine performance....... Overall, intake pipes with long length and small diameter are recommended to improve engine performance at low engine speeds, while, for high engine speed, it is suggested the use of intake pipes with short length and large diameter."

I made a video of the temperature 'difference' between the outside air temperature and the intake air temperature while driving. There is no difference! This is a true cold air intake. Being though it's a short ram as well, it's a win/win.

Here's another read --> The long and short of intake systems.

There are other articles but I'm done posting. Take an afternoon, a cup of tea, sit down and knock yourself out.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 07-04-2020 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Easier to Find
Old 08-24-2014, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
Great Intake Test - 2015 Honda Fit

**Reserved**

It was 86-87F when I ran with the stock intake installed. I didn't know how to describe how much fuel I had left so I simply stated I had a range of 43 miles remaining. Nothing special about my launches. I simply mashed the pedal to the floor. My trap speed was lower than I expected. Was hoping for mid 80's. It is warm out though but no excuses.
17.261@82.34mph
17.133@82.66mph

Things started to get nasty with the long tubed hot air intake I made, utilizing the big 2" S&B air filter. Temps where 83F and the gas tank range in miles was 37. All that hot air being sucked up over the transmission seemed to have slowed the car down some. Take note of my 60ft time. It got slower. I expected a better low end torque with this setup. It did surprise me but this is why I test.
17.548@81.93mph
17.416@81.91mph

The Fit seemed to like the filter being installed on the maf sensor. I thought this was gonna be the worst of the bunch due to the hot air it is sucking in as well as being very short ram = Loss of low end. Didn't seem like it was the case here. The 60ft time was better than the stock and the long tubed short ram. Interesting! Trap speed picked up nicely with 1/10th or two drop in 1/4 mile time. The temperature was dropping, getting down to 75F on the last run. Also, gas was 28 mile range remaining. Even still, it was better than I expected.
17.033@83.46mph
16.854@85.67mph

So for now, I'm keeping the HPS 2" air filter installed on the maf sensor.

Next test will be tomorrow night at another track. Gonna switch to lighter wheels as well as test the bigger 2" S&B air filter on the maf sensor. I want to be absolutely sure the small filter is not restrictive in any way.

I may retest the stock intake to also be sure the smaller filter on the maf is actually better and not some fluke.

Here's a work in progress -->

*Chow*

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 10-21-2015 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Easier to Find
Old 08-24-2014, 09:24 PM
Lol, you are a wild man dude! Looks like you will be getting all the cvt performance questions answered.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:25 PM
Interested

Old 08-25-2014, 01:12 AM
damn not tuesday yet

Old 08-25-2014, 08:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
Just want to fill everyone in (that is mildy interested) on an intake test I'll be doing this week if all goes well. The dragstrips are Atco Raceway in Atco New Jersey on Tuesday night and Cecil County Dragway in Maryland on Wednesday night. On both nights, I'll be testing out various intake setups. I have no expectations. It's just what I do as a hobby and having fun. Here are the setups I plan on doing (if I manage to get all the parts together).....

Car: 2015 LX CVT (Everything is currently stock)
Maf sensor: Maf sensor pipe piece was cut out of a stock 2015 maf air sensor housing. I ordered this previously to be cut up for testing.

1) Stock intake setup,

2) HPS Intake Cone filter (2")--> Maf Sensor --> Throttle Body

3) 2.25" S&B Cone air filter --> 2.25" straight pipe --> 90 degree 2.25" - 2" Reducer, --> Maf Sensor --> Throttle Body
**I have to get the pieces for this before Tuesday, will update with pics**
This setup will be angled towards the firewall with filter close to the firewall/transmission area. It is only a test!

~~Bonus Intake
4) Stock cold air inlet--> 3" flexible ducting --> 3" inlet to PRM air filter --> 90 degree 3" piping --> 90 degree 3" - 2.5" coupler --> 2.5" straight pipe --> 90 degree 2.5"-2" 90 degree silicone reducer --> Maf sensor-->Throttle Body.
**Will update with pics once it is made**

I have no expectations either way. I've never been one to guess although I have an idea on how this could turn out. The stock intake looks like a good setup but I somehow have always been able to extract a little extra horsepower out by changing it from stock. Either way, the timeslips won't lie.
Yes, I could dyno and I love to dyno but there is none near me anymore and this is a real world test. Feel free to stop by the tracks yourself if you'd like to test one of the setups on your 2015.

This is all for now. I'll update if/when I get those other two intakes put together. Worst case scenario, I'll only be testing #1 and #2 intakes. There are all kinds of variations that can be tested. Feel free to try this yourself. I'm familiar with hot engine bay air, intake diameters, lengths, etc. Just sharing!
The avg MPG down the drag strip will be interesting.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
The avg MPG down the drag strip will be interesting.
Averaging 46mpg at WOT. That would be the day.

Updated with picture of intake #3. Changed my original plan of 2.25" to 2.5" piping and 2.5" - 2" coupler. Remember, this is not about hot engine bay temps, etc. I know it would be better of routed to the foglight or to the stock bumper mounted air inlet. This is only for testing purposed since we don't even have an intake for this car. I want to compare how the car performs with the filter on the maf sensor (Really short ram intake) and with the piping extended out some (with a slightly larger intake diameter).

I just finished driving around with intake #3 and all seems well. No report on butt dyno because I'm never right anyways. Will test real world results tomorrow and Wednesday.

BTW: Here is a picture of the huge 2" opening S&B air filter I have installed and on the right a 2" HPS intake air filter (That you see on the previous year Honda fits with an HPS intake). Yeah, it's for good laughs but no-one is gonna tell me the air filter is a restriction. I love using S&B filters since I have had good results with them in the past.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 08-25-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
Updated....
Show general idea I have around using the PRM air filter. This will be routed to the cold air inlet piece that is on every stock Honda Fit, on the top part of the bumper. I have the ducting for this and can hook it up now. I just need to work on the bend coming out of the PRM air filter (3") as it swings around 180 degrees. Once I get that right, I'm golden. Will update once it is fully completed but I'm done for now. Will only be testing intakes #1 through #3 now.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
Seems like intake option with the filter pretty much directly attached to the TB would have lowest temps since it's farther from the transmission. The RPM setup you show close to the tranny will probably feel closer to the stock setup since it has more bends.

Your on the right track though, creating ducting from the stock bumper air inlet area right to the filter that would be cool, OR have the filter just sit close to the stock inlet opening if there is ample hood clearance.

Last edited by Fitguy07; 08-25-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
Updated 2nd post with timed runs from earlier tonight.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
Cecil County Dragway 8-27-14

Did some testing tonight. I used the cone filter intake that did ok in the previous test. The changes that I made fore these run were the installation of 185-60-14 Kosei K1 TS racing wheels with 14" tires. Wheel/Tire combo is 8.3lbs lighter than stock wheel/tire combo. Also, I had removed the spare tire and jack as well as both rear seats. Outside temperature was between 83-78F by the end of my runs. The results were......surprising.

16.811@? (Right lane had mph issues)
17.041@85.06mph VSC off (Disabled)
16.895@85.48mph
16.866@85.30mph

I could not improve on my previous runs, despite the dramatic weight loss from the wheels, rear seats, jack and spare tire. I did use the same 2.3lbs battery that I had installed at Atco with the air filter on the maf sensor so that don't count.

So I ended up hooking up my Android Torque app and began to look at a few things when I got home. (I know, I should've been using this at the track). I noticed that the intake temperature was approaching 165F at idle. I didn't test what it was while going down the highway or track but you are idle for a bit while waiting to do your runs. I'm used to having ambient air going into the intake with temps no more than +5F more than outside are temperature. This is not necessarily a surprise. I've tested 'hot-air' intakes in the past and the results vary from very bad to not that bad at all.

So....there is some room for improvement here. I have some ideas. Will share when/if they are completed. This is all for now.

I'm not suggesting not to go with a hot air intake. Everyone's results may be different. I just think it is impacting my off idle acceleration so much that I can not improve my 60ft time due to the extra hot air being sucked in. Once the car gets going, the hot air affect is not as pronounced.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 08-27-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
Update - 8/28/14

Been on the bonus intake for the most part of the morning. Trying to think outside the box to make it work. Also, took apart the driver's side wheel well to see if a filter could fit down there. There's very little room there so I'm gonna pass on that for now.

After scratching my head for a while, I gotta give Honda credit. Their stock intake almost seems perfect in function. Only one bend while pulling in the outside air from that ram-air inlet just underneath the hood, on the front of the car. This is the piece I'm referring too.

Underneath this piece is this rain splash guard -->

So I went underneath the ram piece to see what it actually looked like. And this is what I saw -->

Nothing! So much for ram air. I ran my fingers down there and only could find a little slit for air to get through. So......why not improve on the stock setup then. I removed the splash guard altogether. And now this is what it looks like -->

You can see the light from the front bumper grill area. Yeah, now there is no restriction for air to get to the ram-air piece (Or at least less in my opinion). Will it make a difference? I doubt it but you don't know until you try and test these things out.

Perhaps I can replace the stock filter with something like this from HKS -->
HKS Hybrid Filter

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 08-28-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Update - 8/28/14

Been on the bonus intake for the most part of the morning. Trying to think outside the box to make it work. Also, took apart the driver's side wheel well to see if a filter could fit down there. There's very little room there so I'm gonna pass on that for now.

After scratching my head for a while, I gotta give Honda credit. Their stock intake almost seems perfect in function. Only one bend while pulling in the outside air from that ram-air inlet just underneath the hood, on the front of the car. This is the piece I'm referring too.

Perhaps I can replace the stock filter with something like this from HKS -->
HKS Hybrid Filter
It doesn't rain where you live, does it?

Old 08-28-2014, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
It doesn't rain where you live, does it?
Not that hard! It'll be cool to use (pun intended)

Old 08-28-2014, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
Not that hard! It'll be cool to use (pun intended)
As long as it doesn't dampen your enthusiasm.

When the time comes, I'll get a K&N. I've used them for years.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
Does your obd tool give you timing readouts? I wonder how much timing is being pulled because the maf doesnt like the piping length/angle of the long tube intake

imo, the ideal design would be to retain the oem airbox, put in a high flow panel filter, replace the stock pipe with a larger, smooth piece without the accordion snorkel, then get a better cold air scoop on the bottom to funnel air to the box

Old 08-28-2014, 08:02 PM
I've been saying they do a good job on that intake design these days

Gains to be made on the intake side will be minimal or non-existent by itself. I admire your enthusiasm and trail blazing .

Without the ability to tune the ECU and without doing the science/math to get the piping length and diameter right for what you're trying to accomplish, I don't think you will see much here. The stock intake and TB are not limiting factors on the A7, and it looks like they are not on the B either from the intake design. I think you were right in saying there's not much room for improvement.

I believe the old Takeda and Top Fuel intakes for the GE had some science behind them. Or at least they were designed to look like they did Maybe take a look for some inspiration. It seems like there is less room in the bay on the GK though. Maybe relocate the battery if it's in the way.

Replacement panel filters are nifty because you can clean them and they sound a little cooler, don't expect much else.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TofuShop
Does your obd tool give you timing readouts? I wonder how much timing is being pulled because the maf doesnt like the piping length/angle of the long tube intake
Yes it does! I actually have 3 videos I made that I'm trying to upload for everyone to see. They are two with the stock intake and one with the filter on the maf sensor. The videos have various readings during the run around the perimeter of the video itself. I barely managed to get these videos up before in my RAV4. Trying to do this again. I'll post up the videos alongside the timeslip tomorrow if I'm successful. The 1/4 mile time on the video log is 1/100th of a second difference than my time slip so I trust its accuracy. The video also shows hp/torque during the whole 1/4 mile run, intake temperature, timing, 0-60, and a few other items that I chose to look after.

All in all, had fun at Atco Raceway tonight (3rd Night of Racing). Woot!

Old 08-31-2014, 05:01 AM
5 Year Member
This is a fun read! Thanks for including us in reporting on your testing.

I think based on your testing and comparing your stock results to those of C&D's testing, we can confidently say that the CVT is just about a second slower to 60, and 0.9 second and 3MPH slower in 1/4 mile than the 6MT, that C&D reported at 16.2 @ 86MPH

Old 08-31-2014, 07:26 AM
Always fun to play with the intake setups.
I have felt the most difference in response when I smoothed out the inside of the stock air box in my car. Also I changed all the tubing with smooth silicone ones but IIRC the box made most of the difference.
I could also hear the intake sucking air, like an after market almost.

Quick Reply: Great Intake Test