3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 3rd Gen GK Honda Fit

Paint protection film -self install

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
Paint protection film -self install

So after getting a quote for over +$1000 I am thinking of installing the paint protection film myself. Has anybody on here done this before? I am a DIY shade-tree mechanic but the only experience I have doing anything like this would be yellow protection film I installed on my Subaru Outback's foglights, and then a 36"x48" one-way mirror tint I applied to a window in our bedroom. -We have a bird feeder mounted on the other side of the window to entertain our cats w/o the birds seeing the cats. Drives them nuts that they can see the birds 2 inches away. Anyways, here are my questions:

1. Should I wait until a kit is available specifically for the 2015 fit like this?:
Amazon.com: Honda Fit Sport (2012-2013) 3M Clear Bra Paint Protection Film Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Honda Fit Sport (2012-2013) 3M Clear Bra Paint Protection Film Kit: Automotive

2. Should I just buy a roll like this and cut it myself? My main objective is protecting the first couple inches of the hood:
Amazon.com: 3M Clear Bra Paint Protection Bulk Film Roll 12-by-96-inches: Automotive Amazon.com: 3M Clear Bra Paint Protection Bulk Film Roll 12-by-96-inches: Automotive

3. Bite the bullet and just pay to get it done

Last edited by ADVphotography; 07-18-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:37 AM
Not saying I am skilled or anything, but I bought the bulk film years ago for my 2002 WRX and was able to easily do the hood and other bits. However the complex shape of the front bumper made that a no go for me. Lots of pulling, stretching, and massaging around curves to get a smooth, bubble free fit. Not saying it's not possible, but definitely tougher than I expected. Maybe get a bid for just the front bumper and DIY the smaller and easier parts?

Originally Posted by ADVphotography
So after getting a quote for over +$1000 I am thinking of installing the paint protection film myself. Has anybody on here done this before? I am a DIY shade-tree mechanic but the only experience I have doing anything like this would be yellow protection film I installed on my Subaru Outback's foglights, and then a 36"x48" one-way mirror tint I applied to a window in our bedroom. -We have a bird feeder mounted on the other side of the window to entertain our cats w/o the birds seeing the cats. Drives them nuts that they can see the birds 2 inches away. Anyways, here are my questions:
<br />
1. Should I wait until a kit is available specifically for the 2015 fit like this?: Amazon.com: Honda Fit Sport (2012-2013) 3M Clear Bra Paint Protection Film Kit: Automotive
<br />
2. Should I just buy a roll like this and cut it myself? My main objective is protecting the first couple inches of the hood: Amazon.com: 3M Clear Bra Paint Protection Bulk Film Roll 12-by-96-inches: Automotive
<br />

Old 07-18-2014, 12:43 PM
It seems like if you bought the pre-cut kit it should be much easier to install. I might go this route myself because I'm not going to pay $1000+ for a professional install. That's about 5% of the purchase price of an EX-L!!

Old 07-18-2014, 01:13 PM
Go precut...I had 2015 precut kit -bumper, headlight, fenders,
both mirrors done including window tint for 950.00 oh, also including the entire hood. I had a pro install done and watching the entire 5.5 hour install I would never try it at home. Many tricks of the trade to making this paint protection look seamless and perfect. If you make any mistakes it could be an expensive lesson ..had this installed on an 04 Accord EXL 10 years ago...looked like new 217000 miles later on the day we traded it in on our 14 Accord EXL. All of our vehicles have it, no chips, dings or scratches. It can easily be replaced if ever needed.
Good Luck!

On second thought....I would highly recommend having the clear bra professionally installed...just spend some of that rusty money

Last edited by 15/SILVER/EXL; 07-18-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:21 PM

1. Should I wait until a kit is available specifically for the 2015 fit like this?: Amazon.com: Honda Fit Sport (2012-2013) 3M Clear Bra Paint Protection Film Kit: Automotive

2. Should I just buy a roll like this and cut it myself? My main objective is protecting the first couple inches of the hood: Amazon.com: 3M Clear Bra Paint Protection Bulk Film Roll 12-by-96-inches: Automotive

I haven't done this type of film, but have done plenty of body graphics. Clean, clean clean, no breeze, indoors with no dust. Have a hair dryer handy to smooth out wrinkles. Take your time. Good luck. BTW: The plastic will still chip if a stone hits it. Personally, I would wait, and just pay to get the hood or bumper repainted if the chips get bad enough. I did that with my '10 Fit, and the auto store made a perfect match for the Storm Silver and clear coat. Redid the bumper and front of hood for about $100 in my garage. Not hard to do.

Last edited by Stingray; 07-18-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
Im not sure if others have noticed, but this amazon link in the original post is for the previous gen Fits. (will not fit 2015+)

Old 07-20-2014, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TofuShop
Im not sure if others have noticed, but this amazon link in the original post is for the previous gen Fits. (will not fit 2015+)
The link was just to an example using the previous gen fit. Haven't seen one available for the 2015 yet.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:53 PM
The link was just to an example using the previous gen fit. Haven't seen one available for the 2015 yet.

My installer went to a Honda dealership traced out the 2015 full clear bra pattern with a digital pen which transfers the pattern to a computer laser pattern cutting machine back in his shop. Then laser cut all the areas ...bumper, headlights, full hood, fenders, mirrorsMy clear bra install was the first one in the Charlotte area....as the pattern was not available as mentioned. It took about 5 hours for the install.
The pattern turned out perfect. FWIW....

Last edited by 15/SILVER/EXL; 07-20-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:08 PM
Got a quote here in Cali.
$650 for full bumper, partial hood, partial fender and side mirrors.

$1200 for same deal but full hood and fender. They didn't care that the hood and fender are so small it should be considered partial compared to most cars.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 15/SILVER/EXL
My installer went to a Honda dealership traced out the 2015 full clear bra pattern with a digital pen which transfers the pattern to a computer laser pattern cutting machine back in his shop. Then laser cut all the areas ...bumper, headlights, full hood, fenders, mirrorsMy clear bra install was the first one in the Charlotte area....as the pattern was not available as mentioned. It took about 5 hours for the install.
The pattern turned out perfect. FWIW....
Where did you go? Do you mind mentioning how much it cost?