3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Smart Entry System warning light error

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
Smart Entry System warning light error

We are seeing this warning light most of the time for past 6 months. Once is a while it doesn't show up. Everything is working fine. Do we need to be concerned with it. We are close to completing 5 years. Not sure if it is going to be covered. How much does it cost to fix. I am going to check it out with dealer during our next oil change.

Thanks

Old 11-25-2019, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ritholtz
We are seeing this warning light most of the time for past 6 months. Once is a while it doesn't show up. Everything is working fine. Do we need to be concerned with it. We are close to completing 5 years. Not sure if it is going to be covered. How much does it cost to fix. I am going to check it out with dealer during our next oil change.

Thanks
i have the same issue. 2015 EX 6MT with 82K miles. Will be a push start button assembly replacement per my buddy, and folks in Asia were experiencing the same thing. I dont think it impacts driveability. This is the fix. Found the cheapest is $110 + shipping on a honda parts web site (part no. 35881-t5a-j02). Will be replacing myself. Betting dealer charges $400+ for parts+labor. Good luck!

Old 11-25-2019, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TougeMonster_GK5
i have the same issue. 2015 EX 6MT with 82K miles. Will be a push start button assembly replacement per my buddy, and folks in Asia were experiencing the same thing. I dont think it impacts driveability. This is the fix. Found the cheapest is $110 + shipping on a honda parts web site (part no. 35881-t5a-j02). Will be replacing myself. Betting dealer charges $400+ for parts+labor. Good luck!
Thanks for the help. I am going to dealer for oil change. I will get the estimate. Is it safe to drive by ignoring this error right? We are not going to get stuck some where on the freeway right? Do you think, there will be some kind of class action law suit or recall on this issue in future. Looks like common problem between multiple models.

Old 11-26-2019, 10:33 AM
I bought a Chinese made switch off Amazon for $35, but haven't put it in yet, my light comes on about half the time and it had never not started so I am not in a hurry, it looks like a pita to change out.

I'm thinking of finding something that will sleeve the switch to push in the tabs to release it.

Need to look a little closer at how to get to the switch, it's in a box so you can't access it without taking at least part of the dash apart.

Last edited by ╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮; 11-26-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:01 PM
Hello, i have the same problem and i have tried to replace everything related to the samrt key like the Fuse relay, replaced New battery, replaced antenna but nothing happened, best thing is , everything is fine except for the annoyng orange light. the only thing i did not try is the Push/Start button, im still looking on how to open it and waiting if somebody who had yjis button change and if it Fixed the problem. So, you mentioned your buddy had these problem and replaced the start/stop buttom. Does it fixed the problem ? Thanks

Old 03-02-2020, 04:31 PM
Hi, it happens to mine as well. Fixed after i replaced the push start button. Got it from aliexpress. pretty easy to replace it urself.

NZ$ 38.67 28% Off | Aroham Start Stop Engine Button Switch For Honda 35881-T5H-H41 Start Stop Push Button Ignition Switch one-button start Modificat
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dZ1m01X

Guide
https://www.hrvforum.com/threads/rep...9/#post-453836

You may try to push the button harder. Mine last time does the trick for few weeks before it reappeared again.

Last edited by Brety; 03-02-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:09 PM
thank you , Brety. I will try this sometime this weekend. Ive searched mine online and its $72 (honda parts online). I will order today and i will post results soon after all completed and tested.

Last edited by toylim; 03-03-2020 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brety
Hi, it happens to mine as well. Fixed after i replaced the push start button. Got it from aliexpress. pretty easy to replace it urself.

NZ$ 38.67 28% Off | Aroham Start Stop Engine Button Switch For Honda 35881-T5H-H41 Start Stop Push Button Ignition Switch one-button start Modificat
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dZ1m01X

Guide
https://www.hrvforum.com/threads/rep...9/#post-453836

You may try to push the button harder. Mine last time does the trick for few weeks before it reappeared again.
So replacing the pushstart assembly does not require the dealership to re-program and link my keyfob to the replacement pushstart assembly?
I have a brand new ass'y ready to install, just concerned about Honda having to activate it after completing the swap.

Thanks in Advance!

Old 03-14-2020, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
Many have had this issue and reported that simply taking the switch off, opening it up and cleaning it resolved the problem. I currently am starting to get this warning light and will pull it and clean it. In the mean time I tried another trick I read on one forum. You keep your foot off the brake pedal and just push the button in with "authority" (as in hard but not beating it) several times. Seems this will make the contacts work better and the light goes out.
As I learn more I will update on this. Its a very common problem and seems straight forward to repair...except for the actual removal of that darn switch from the dash! I hate pulling dashes! :-)

Old 03-14-2020, 09:37 AM
Hello. regarding this Smart key issue,. i performed the actual removal and pulling of the Start Push buttom. ( OMG, its really difficult but ive done it successfully after 2 grilling hours, watching back and forth in DIY on youtube ) after pulling out the Push button, i opened the buttom opening carefully and cleaned everything with Mass Airflow Cleaner Spray, dried it and put it back everything. Today after 1 week of driving normally, so far the LIGHT GOES OFF and gone since then. I assumed this was already FIXED. I will update you again if ever it will come out again. ( Hoping not anymore ). Thanks everyone !

Last edited by toylim; 03-15-2020 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-15-2020, 03:08 AM
5 Year Member
The light came on a month ago and it's intermittent. Was going to take it to the dealer to see what is the issue is and how much to fix it but figured it's gotta be an easy fix. Glad I looked on here so gonna try pulling it out and clean the contacts on the back in hopes it will fix it. If not I will just order a new one from online Honda reseller just to fix it for good.

Old 03-21-2020, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
Same issue here, broken key light at top of left cluster went on, went off and then on again. Anna Magdalena's brother said I should just blast around the edges with WD-40, I'm thinking about it.

Last edited by bach; 03-21-2020 at 02:07 PM. Reason: moliendum nomina
Old 03-21-2020, 09:28 PM
I am experiencing the same issues with my 2016 Honda Fit EX with 56k miles. The light started lighting up a few days ago. Comes and it goes, I looked up on Google found this forum after reading about it, makes perfect sense. The switch sure is to blame, my car is still under my extended warranty. I plan to take my car in for a diagnosis and fix soon. I'll update when I have more information.

Last edited by Aml1nk; 03-21-2020 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:02 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by toylim
Hello. regarding this Smart key issue,. i performed the actual removal and pulling of the Start Push buttom. ( OMG, its really difficult but ive done it successfully after 2 grilling hours, watching back and forth in DIY on youtube ) after pulling out the Push button, i opened the buttom opening carefully and cleaned everything with Mass Airflow Cleaner Spray, dried it and put it back everything. Today after 1 week of driving normally, so far the LIGHT GOES OFF and gone since then. I assumed this was already FIXED. I will update you again if ever it will come out again. ( Hoping not anymore ). Thanks everyone !
Hello, this is in regard to my above qoute. As of this date, almost a month now, so far the subject problem was totally gone away. I THEREFORE CONCLUDE THAT MY PROBLEM ON THIS SMART KEY WARNING LIGHT HAS BEEN FIXED, in regard to the procedure that i have performed. Thanks to everyone !

Old 04-15-2023, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by toylim
Hello, this is in regard to my above qoute. As of this date, almost a month now, so far the subject problem was totally gone away. I THEREFORE CONCLUDE THAT MY PROBLEM ON THIS SMART KEY WARNING LIGHT HAS BEEN FIXED, in regard to the procedure that i have performed. Thanks to everyone !
thanks I appreciate this update I will try and follow same direction.