3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Proximity Key Entry and Push Start = Theft Risk?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 01:16 PM
I was showing my friend my car and had her sit in the driver seat and told her to press the start button. The Fit would not start even though I was standing right next to the driver seat, but just inches outside of the perimeter of the cabin. I took the fob outside of my pocket and put it in the driver's upper-left cup holder, so just inches inside the cabin, and then the car would start.

This car is able to very accurately determine whether the fob is inside or outside the cabin, so nobody is going to be able to start your car unless your fob is also inside the car.

Pretty much the smart entry does what you want and there are few if any undesirable scenarios.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:44 AM
Has anyone tried using an RFID blocker for the key like FobGuard? Seems like the thieves can boost the RFID signal from your key fob even though you are not close to the car (ie. you are in the house and the car is in front).

Article in NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/16/st...c-thieves.html

Or is there a way to disable to keyless entry feature without disabling the push start feature? Would have been good if Honda made the cars with the push button and key ignition alternative so you can do this.

This makes me miss the olden days of just using a physical key. Even remote entry with pushing a button is better than this. Advancements in technology means easier for thieves to steal your car

Old 07-04-2016, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
A car theft ring was recently busted here in Toronto, targeting high end cars that do not use physical keys to start the car, shipping to Africa. Someone can plant a sniffer on your car when you are not there, and when you start the car it will record the code. They come back later, retrieve the sniffer and drive away with your car, all without the key.

One lady had her car stolen from her driveway twice. She was not happy.

Most cars are more desirable to steal than the Fit, but to think that your keyless entry system is completely theft proof and therefore safe might be delusional. The security arms race continues.

The teenagers, he said, likely got into the car using a relatively simple and inexpensive device called a “power amplifier.”He explained it like this: In a normal scenario, when you walk up to a car with a keyless entry and try the door handle, the car wirelessly calls out for your key so you don’t have to press any buttons to get inside. If the key calls back, the door unlocks. But the keyless system is capable of searching for a key only within a couple of feet.
Mr. Danev said that when the teenage girl turned on her device, it amplified the distance that the car can search, which then allowed my car to talk to my key, which happened to be sitting about 50 feet away, on the kitchen counter. And just like that, open sesame.
source

That is so cool. Someone thought to subvert the security system through an unintended back door. I want one of those black boxes!

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 07-04-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
I'm thinking since man first rolled a rock in front of a cave entrance to attempt to keep others out, some thief was thinking about how to roll the rock out of the way.

The dance between technology and crime is continuous and ever evolving.

Do vulnerabilities exist with keyless entry and push button start systems? Yes, they have been reported.

Vulnerabilities exist with "standard" key ignitions.

My feeling is keyless entry, and push button starts are just..."today" and the wave of the future.
It's a very nice, convenient set of features.

I also feel, that if the system is defeated too often and too commonly, there will be aftermarket solutions created to try to keep ahead of the crime.

For now? Despite isolated reports of some people being able to defeat aspects of the system, I feel relatively safe using the system.

I can really see a future, not so distant, where nearly all new cars come equipped with door sensors and keyless entry systems, if not all push button start.

I expect the criminal element to look for vulnerabilities.
I expect the technology to react.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
I'm thinking since man first rolled a rock in front of a cave entrance to attempt to keep others out, some thief was thinking about how to roll the rock out of the way.

The dance between technology and crime is continuous and ever evolving.

Do vulnerabilities exist with keyless entry and push button start systems? Yes, they have been reported.

Vulnerabilities exist with "standard" key ignitions.

My feeling is keyless entry, and push button starts are just..."today" and the wave of the future.
It's a very nice, convenient set of features.

I also feel, that if the system is defeated too often and too commonly, there will be aftermarket solutions created to try to keep ahead of the crime.

For now? Despite isolated reports of some people being able to defeat aspects of the system, I feel relatively safe using the system.

I can really see a future, not so distant, where nearly all new cars come equipped with door sensors and keyless entry systems, if not all push button start.

I expect the criminal element to look for vulnerabilities.
I expect the technology to react.
I agree. If someone really wants to steal your car, the car will be gone in 60 seconds, more or less.

I have a manual shift EX and that will make it a little harder for a newbie to steal. Most people no longer know how to drive a manual shift and Honda (and maybe others) require the clutch (that weird 3rd pedal) to be press completely to the floor. Won't stop a pro or someone with a tow truck, but it will slow them down.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
I agree. If someone really wants to steal your car, the car will be gone in 60 seconds, more or less.

I have a manual shift EX and that will make it a little harder for a newbie to steal. Most people no longer know how to drive a manual shift and Honda (and maybe others) require the clutch (that weird 3rd pedal) to be press completely to the floor. Won't stop a pro or someone with a tow truck, but it will slow them down.
In addition to making the car a bit harder to steal, the manual probably makes the car a much less desirable target.