3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fuel Mileage Related Discussions

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 06:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
1. Most likely. They say my 13 has a 10.6 gallon tank, and I go past 10 gallons regularly- two days ago I put in 10.4.

2. That's a very dangerous question. It's not about How far can I go once the empty light comes on? What matters is How much gas do I have left when the empty light comes on? Once that happens you know how much gas is remaining and you have to decide what kind of mileage you're going to get in the conditions you're facing and decide when to get gas. Mileage varies widely: you can't say My car gets 30/40/50 mpg, I can go this far, because real life has a way of nit-picking the details. Going up a hill, letting your car sit to warm up or trying to drive near a mall in late December are all going to burn a lot more gas than what your car "normally" does. Forget about normal and worry about the specific miles you're going to be driving with the actual gas you have left. If you're not going to do that, just fill the tank when the car tells you to.

I don't know when the light comes on in my car because I use an UltraGauge. It tells me my mileage at the moment, for the current trip and over the whole tank. It shows distance to empty (assuming the tank mileage stays the same) and fuel remaining. I've got an empty light shaped blind spot because that light tells me nothing.
Very good points. The 2015 also has a 10.6 g tank. Although the tank itself holds 10.6, you have to figure in the filler tube leading to the tank, so the car can carry more gas than the tank capacity. Running a fuel injected engine out of gas is not good. It can do damage and be difficult to get it started again.

On the other hand, I wonder if 10.6 g is the total capacity, not just the tank.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday, I had to start the car from cold and drive one mile. I got 26.1 MPG. Coming home two hours later, I got 29.6. Cold makes a big difference. Yes, I know I should have walked, but it was cold, I had a lot to carry, and I would have been walking on a highway. Looking forward to warmer weather!

Last edited by SilverEX15; 12-23-2014 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:41 PM
I have been monitoring my mileage since I bought my Fit in August: 7 fill-ups so far, average mpg 32 in almost all city or short highway driving.

My question is why is there a discrepancy between my calculations and the Fit's? It consistently overestimates my mileage by anywhere from 0.5 to 3.9 mpg (average 1.6). Is it rigged to do this, to convince us our mileage is better than it is (but one time out of seven it underestimated)?

Old 12-29-2014, 05:53 PM
37 MPG average (30% city/70% hwy) so far in my first 100 miles on the odometer!

Old 01-02-2015, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
I've had my 2015 Fit for just over a month now.
I've put about 1700 miles on it so far, with five 100 mile plus highway trips included, at 75 to 80 on cruise control.
So far it is an average of 38.6 mpg.
Going to and from work at 60 mph, the mileage is more in the 40 to 41 mpg range.
Mpg appears to start to suffer when you go over 65 mph.
Gregg

Old 01-02-2015, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LSWall
I have been monitoring my mileage since I bought my Fit in August: 7 fill-ups so far, average mpg 32 in almost all city or short highway driving.

My question is why is there a discrepancy between my calculations and the Fit's? It consistently overestimates my mileage by anywhere from 0.5 to 3.9 mpg (average 1.6). Is it rigged to do this, to convince us our mileage is better than it is (but one time out of seven it underestimated)?
That seems to be the way it is. If you keep adding gas after the pump clicks off, that will have a negative effect.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:19 PM
450 total miles on '15 EX/L. 300 mile round trip toll road today, cruise on 75mph all the time, maybe 10 miles of city driving, 35mpg avg. for the trip! Was over 36mpg on computer, but hit head wind coming home and it dropped off!

Old 01-02-2015, 09:53 PM
1800 Miles on mine now. Always averaged 41. Now its colder, I can only get 37 or so. I can't wait for warmer weather too. Hate those numbers.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:30 AM
According to my fuel log app I've gone 2375 miles so far with a high of 43.46 mpg, a low of 31.91, and an average of 39.29, with an EX CVT on econ. The low was on the first leg of a 700 mile loop that went to and from Death Valley and was mostly uphill, cold, and with headwinds.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitFolksinger
According to my fuel log app I've gone 2375 miles so far with a high of 43.46 mpg, a low of 31.91, and an average of 39.29, with an EX CVT on econ. The low was on the first leg of a 700 mile loop that went to and from Death Valley and was mostly uphill, cold, and with headwinds.
Hills make a huge difference, in both directions. Cold weather and the winter blend of gas also hurts mileage.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
As of 12/31/2014, I've accumulated 7,844 miles on my Fit (purchased 9/14). Average MPG (my calculation) was 36.7, which I'm somewhat disappointed in, given that much of my driving has been long road trips where the car should really shine. I've only had a couple tanks average over 40, and the lowest was only 30.7. I drive the speed limit and don't thrash the car. Usually have ECO mode on… For whatever reason, rainy weather seems to really negatively impact mileage, too (3-5 MPG lower).

That said, I very much enjoy driving the car and it's worked out well even for 12-16 hour road trips. I was averaging 42 MPG in my '13 Beetle TDi, but with the higher cost of diesel, it was running about $0.10/mile for fuel. The Fit is running $0.07/mile, so I'm still coming out ahead (at current gasoline vs. diesel prices).

es

Old 01-04-2015, 09:14 PM
Now that it is cold I am pretty steadily getting 30-31mpg

Old 01-05-2015, 11:30 AM
Filled up for the 1st time since the purchase.

Dash Meter says 38 MPG avg.

Manual calculation comes out to be 35 MPG avg.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
Winter is really killing my mileage. It takes quite a while to get near 40 mpg. The engine revs higher, and the mpg is in the 20's till it warms up.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:35 PM
I have about 1600+ miles on a 6MT LX. Dash meter shows 36 MPG, my math shows closer to 33.5. This is a lot of stop and go (and finding parking spaces) with maybe one or two highway trips in there.

I wanted to see how much was in the tank when the fuel algorithm showed 0-1 mile of range left. I ran it down to that level and the Shell pump stopped at 9 gallons. This means there was probably close to 1.5 gallons left. This means I could have probably gone another 45-50 miles with the range showing 0.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
I told my UltraGauge that I have a 10.1 gallon tank, so my "zero" is artificially high. Nice to have a little reserve.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:11 AM
Is this good, bad, normal?

Greetings, I'm on my second tank of gas in a newly purchased 2015 Fit.

My average mileage is about 26 MPG.

On the highway I can get 43 to 44. City driving ranges anywhere from 34 to 16 MPG. Yes, 16.

I see some of you posting mileage in the upper 40s or even a few 50s. Those are impressive numbers! I'm kind of thinking that my car isn't getting better gas mileage because:

1.) It's winter. (Does that make a difference with gas engines?)
2.) Car is fairly new. (Does it really make a difference to break in a car in this day and age?)
3.) Traffic is horrible around here. I spend a lot of time going exactly 0 MPH. It's not uncommon to take at least a half hour+ to go 5 miles. That's going to suck up a lot of gas, right.

So far, it almost seems like the ECON button hurts the mileage rather than helping it. And it almost makes the car feel like I'm driving with the parking break on (it is not on). I'll need to do more comparisons. Still happy with the car and finding I like the inside more and more.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:29 AM
1) Winter can make a pretty significant difference in your mpg; it takes a lot longer for the car to warm up and the better mpg readings happen when the engine is nice and toasty, not to mention the engine is happier when it sucks in warmer air; additionally, driving in snow will kill your mpg and even driving on wet roads has a negative effect
2) In theory, as the engine "breaks-in" there is less internal friction and therefore slightly better mpg
3) Traffic plays a huge role in fuel consumption, so if you're in gridlock often, you won't ever see the high mpg numbers

But remember, driving style is still a major player in what kind of mileage you can obtain.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by GoBucky
1) Winter can make a pretty significant difference in your mpg; it takes a lot longer for the car to warm up and the better mpg readings happen when the engine is nice and toasty, not to mention the engine is happier when it sucks in warmer air; additionally, driving in snow will kill your mpg and even driving on wet roads has a negative effect
2) In theory, as the engine "breaks-in" there is less internal friction and therefore slightly better mpg
3) Traffic plays a huge role in fuel consumption, so if you're in gridlock often, you won't ever see the high mpg numbers

But remember, driving style is still a major player in what kind of mileage you can obtain.
Thanks for the info!

I try to have good driving habits, but hopefully I can optimize them even more. It's fun to drive the Fit.

Good to know about winter. I definitely see the numbers improve on a longer drive - when the car is warm - versus a short drive (or beginning of a longer drive) when it hasn't really warmed up much. I can't say I ever noticed specific seasonal changes in the MPG of my old car. It was old, though, so no hi-tech features to give me instant average mileage - just fill tank, note mileage, do math. Mileage wasn't that bad on that car. We'll see how the Fit does over time.

So far, I can go longer in similar driving conditions without putting gas in the car, so that's an improvement. Stop & go, gridlock traffic is pretty intense around here. I think only the hybrids do really well in that stuff. (Not ready for a hybrid.)

Old 01-28-2015, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AFirefly
So far, it almost seems like the ECON button hurts the mileage rather than helping it. And it almost makes the car feel like I'm driving with the parking break on (it is not on). I'll need to do more comparisons. Still happy with the car and finding I like the inside more and more.
Find out what the ECON button changes. There's got to be something in the owner's manual or a thread here about it. A huge problem with anything automatic, especially in the car business, is that it tries to be all things to all people, with a primary focus on idiots. It's hard to take a tool like that and make it do what you want when it's always assuming you have an IQ of 80 and that you're cruising around in ideal conditions.

In the "normal" world, we've gone from three and four speed autos to eight and nine speeds- because when people are always on the gas, you can get better mileage with more gears. When you press the ECON button, you're changing things. It's not a magical "burn less gas" button, so you need to understand what it's doing differently and change what you're doing if you want to see any benefits.

The ECON button on my wife's car keeps the torque converter locked more, changes the shift points and uses fewer gears. If you're gentle on the gas and try not to unlock the torque converter, you'll get better mileage- but if you drive like the factory expects a "normal" driver to drive, you'll do better with the normal setting. We used to get people in all the time complaining about rough shifting and lack of power, and every time the tech would get in and turn off the ECON button. Problem solved.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:44 AM
dsl
39.1 on Fuelly, 2015 LX CVT

The overall for 6,000+ miles is 38.9 (always on econ). It's best on rural roads (no idling, 55-60mph). Worse with bike on hitch rack by a few mpg typically (probably about 30% of my miles), and looking at the trend, slightly worse in the winter/cold.

I don't do much city driving. In one of the customer satisfaction surveys Honda sent, they asked about interest in technology ('don't recall the exact term) that would turn the engine off/on automatically when idling (at stop lights, etc). I do notice that long waits at lights lower mpg quickly.

As others have said, the actual mpg is always less than what the car's computer says.

Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage Related Discussions