3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fuel Mileage Related Discussions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 04:52 AM
What's your average mpg on your 3rd gen Honda fit mt mpg

Just wanna know everyone's average mpg on their 3rd gen Honda fit with a manual trans

Old 01-13-2020, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
this sticy thread has over 178k views , you'd prob get more action posting in there.... instead of creating new threads (on already covered topics)

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...scussions.html

Old 01-17-2020, 09:11 AM
You might be disappointed when you see the CVT people boasting quite a bit better MPG.

:-)

Old 01-17-2020, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
also, PLEASE utilize "STICKY" threads ... creating your own (esp on topics already covered) only makes the forum more cluttered

Old 01-17-2020, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by George Knighton
You might be disappointed when you see the CVT people boasting quite a bit better MPG.

:-)

strange .... the poll's say otherwise:

TAKEAWAYS:
-highest % for both AT and MT are even, at the "33-35 mpg" bracket
-looking at the ">43 mpg" bracket, MT has more samples
-looking at 36-38, 39-41, 41-43 brackets, MT has more samples all across the board

threads:
AT - https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...nomy-poll.html
MT - https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...nomy-poll.html

Old 01-17-2020, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
I've owned my Fit for about 5 years and never seen nor voted in those threads. Statistically speaking more people buy the Auto/CVT so you would think that they'd have larger representation, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Since I've owned my car, I've averaged 41.887 MPG. My best tank was 47.848 MPG though and that's on my regular commute. These were my last 3:

The Auto poll also has a choice for 39-41 and 41-43. Which should I choose? lol

Old 01-19-2020, 01:06 AM
5 Year Member
I have a 2015 with 95K miles. It had been getting about 40 mpg average (42-38, occasionally 45). Just a month ago, the fuel economy started going down. Now it is averaging 36 mpg. Same driving situation, except for temperature. I live on the Oregon coast, so the temps. have dropped from an average of 60 degrees to an average of 48 degrees. I know, not much of a change. That's coastal living for you.
When I saw the slide happening, I changed the plugs since the old ones had 95K miles on them. I used the exact same NGK plug as the original and checked the gap carefully. Then I inspected the air filter, which I had replaced about 3 months ago. It looked very clean. I checked the tire air pressure. One tire was 2 lbs low. Topped it up. All the airflow parts are in place and tight on the bottom. I plan to try the Techron as others have suggested to see if that makes any difference. If it doesn't, I'll assume the change is due to the change of season. The car has run beautifully for nearly 100k miles with one exception. The variable valve timing control (VTC) has increasingly caused a pronounced rattle when the car is started after sitting for awhile. It's so bad now that I couldn't sell the car if I wanted to (I don't). It started the rattle at about 8K miles and has gotten progressively worse, especially in the last six months. But I don't see how this particular problem (shared by other Fit owners) could affect the fuel economy.

Last edited by Brian Jones; 01-24-2020 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Accuracy
Old 01-19-2020, 07:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brian Jones
I have a 2015 with 95K miles. It had been getting about 40 mpg average (42-38, occasionally 45). Just a month ago, the fuel economy started going down. Now it is averaging 36 mpg. Same driving situation, except for temperature. I live on the Oregon coast, so the temps. have dropped from an average of 60 degrees to an average of 48 degrees. I know, not much of a change. That's coastal living for you.
When I saw the slide happening, I changed the plugs since the old ones had 95K miles on them. I used the exact same NGK plug as the original and checked the gap carefully. Then I inspected the air filter, which I had replaced about 3 months ago. It looked very clean. I checked the tire air pressure. One tire was 2 lbs low. Topped it up. All the airflow parts are in place and tight on the bottom. I plan to try the Techron as others have suggested to see if that makes any difference. If it doesn't, I'll assume the change is due to the change of season. The car has run beautifully for nearly 100k miles with one exception. The tensioner (timing belt?) hydraulic unit has increasingly caused a pronounced rattle when the car is started after sitting for awhile. It's so bad now that I couldn't sell the car if I wanted to (I don't). It started the rattle at about 25K miles and has gotten progressively worse. But I don't see how this particular problem (shared by other Fit owners) could affect the fuel economy.
Ambient temperature makes a huge difference in gas mileage. I was getting mid 40s until the temperature dropped. Then I struggled to get it up to 40. We had two days in the 60s recently, and the MPG went close to 50. On on twenty mile stretch, I averaged 60 MPG, driving 45 - 55. I use fuelly.com, and looking at the graph, my mileage has been on a decline since November.

I'd get that timing chain tensioner replaced. Try an independent mechanic for a price. Honda dealers around here are like vacuum cleaners for money.

Old 01-19-2020, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice. We had noticed the rather dramatic change in fuel economy tracked the temperature. What surprised me is that an average temperature change of about 10 degrees caused the fuel economy to change as much as it has. I have little contact with Honda dealers since I do all my own oil changes and routine things like air filters, plugs and transmission fluid change. The car has needed no significant repair. We really enjoy the car, and Hope to drive it for another 100K. I'm not big on upgrading.

Old 01-20-2020, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
Ambient temperature makes a huge difference in gas mileage. I was getting mid 40s until the temperature dropped. Then I struggled to get it up to 40. We had two days in the 60s recently, and the MPG went close to 50. On on twenty mile stretch, I averaged 60 MPG, driving 45 - 55. I use fuelly.com, and looking at the graph, my mileage has been on a decline since November.

I'd get that timing chain tensioner replaced. Try an independent mechanic for a price. Honda dealers around here are like vacuum cleaners for money.
To calculate your fuel efficiency is very simple. Fill up your gas tank, write down your odometer reading, Call that Reading One, or R1. Then after you drive around for a while, till the tank up a second time and write down your odometer reading again, at that time. Call that R2. Also write down how many units of fuel it it took to fill the tank..Call that Fuel, or F. Fuel efficiency, in distance traveled per unit of fuel, which we will call E equals the difference beteen R2 and R1, divided by F. Or in the more concise language called algebra, (R2 - R1) / F.

If R is in miles and F in gallons, then E will be in miles per gallon. If kilometers and liters, then E will be in kilometers per liter. To get gallons per mile or liters per kilometer, divide 1 by E.

I took a look at fuelly.com to see what they say about how to calculate fuel efficiency, and their explanation not only didn't match mine, but it didn't make any sense. In one video they say write down your odometer reading on your receipt when you "fuel-up." Well, it's not enough to "fuel up" your vehicle. You have to fill your tank, not merely fuel up. Then they say when you get home enter "these values" at the fuelly.com web site. For fuelly to calculate fuel efficiency you must enter the amount of fuel it took to fill you tank. But they say nothing about entering the amount of fuel it took to fill your tank. They just say "these values." That instruction is too vague to be of any use to anyone. If I did not know how to calculate fuel efficiency, I would not be able to learn how, from their web site. I would have left it totally confused.

Last edited by nomenclator; 01-20-2020 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by Brian Jones
The car has run beautifully for nearly 100k miles with one exception. The tensioner (timing belt?) hydraulic unit has increasingly caused a pronounced rattle when the car is started after sitting for awhile. .
..this is probably worthy of a new thread by now, but can you record this? I'm curious because i'm getting close in mileage and want to know what to look for.

Old 01-23-2020, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
I assume you mean an audio recording. I do have both an audio and a video recording of the car making the noise at 8K miles. I could make a new recording since the sound is a bit louder and longer now. If this is what you are requesting, what is the best way to send you a recording?
A thread dedicated to the VTC actuator noise may be found at https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...placement.html
I have posted more details about my experience there.

Last edited by Brian Jones; 01-23-2020 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 01-24-2020, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member
My mileage varies somewhat depending on how much local driving I have to do, hauling the kids around, but for the last few months was down around 35 or so. I recently switched my steel wheel/blizzak set on, and I must have gotten a lot more used to the extra grip of the summer tires, because I've been sliding a fair amount- and since trying to recalibrate my brain for the winter tires, the current tank is so far reading 42mpg.

Yes, I know the car's fuel computer isn't the most accurate, but I'm looking at it more as a comparison than an absolute number. And a reminder to slow down a bit.

Old 01-24-2020, 05:57 AM
5 Year Member
A Handy Addition

Driving yesterday, I realized it would be nice to have an indication of the average MPG for the total mileage on the car. We have mileage for the Drive and the Trip, so why not have it for total miles? Like the other readings, it probably wouldn't be as accurate as pencil and paper computation, but it would be good to know.

Old 01-31-2020, 10:29 AM
Driving yesterday, I realized it would be nice to have an indication of the average MPG for the total mileage on the car. We have mileage for the Drive and the Trip, so why not have it for total miles? Like the other readings, it probably wouldn't be as accurate as pencil and paper computation, but it would be good to know.
The only way I can think to do that is to never reset your B meter.

Old 01-31-2020, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
The only way I can think to do that is to never reset your B meter.
That goes only far (999?) and then resets.

Old 01-31-2020, 10:34 AM
That goes only far (999?) and then resets.
The GK5 is new to me, but in the KC2 you could set the B meter to reset only manually.

If you know the GK5 resets and you can't change it, you know more than I do. :-)

Old 01-31-2020, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
The GK5 is new to me, but in the KC2 you could set the B meter to reset only manually.

If you know the GK5 resets and you can't change it, you know more than I do. :-)
By "B," do you mean the Current Trip odometer? The Drive portion restarts every time I start the car, but the Current Trip keeps computing till I reset it. My 2015 EX turns that over after 999 miles.

Old 01-31-2020, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
By "B," do you mean the Current Trip odometer? The Drive portion restarts every time I start the car, but the Current Trip keeps computing till I reset it. My 2015 EX turns that over after 999 miles.

I believe there are 2 trip meters

for my A, I reset that ever gas tank.
for my B, I reset that after a purchase of new tires (most will use it to track oil change intervals)

Old 01-31-2020, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
I believe there are 2 trip meters

for my A, I reset that ever gas tank.
for my B, I reset that after a purchase of new tires (most will use it to track oil change intervals)
I see what you mean, but I don't think either will run indefinitely. I'll check that.

Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage Related Discussions