3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Few questions about HondaLink

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by John Ki
i think something like this would work from amazon. would be nice to see how much people have using android devises. and with which standard MHL or slimport
I have tested this extensively. Not a satisfying result, unfortunately. I have a Nexus 5 with a Slimport adapter. The phone actually does display on the dash screen very well -- provided you keep it oriented in landscape position. It would work great for, say, Google Maps except for the two following fatal issues:

1) The car shuts off HDMI video input as soon as you take it out of "Park" -- meaning no way to see a map or anything else on the screen while driving

2) With Bluetooth pairing also set up, the phone sends ALL audio over Bluetooth as long as that connection is active (and it is as long as the car is turned on). Bluetooth and HDMI are separate inputs modes. As long as the car is broadcasting audio exclusively over bluetooth but the car is set to display HDMI, you get the video but no sound at all. Thus, no turn-by-turn directions and you can't even listen to music or podcasts from the phone. I guess you could disable bluetooth on the phone but now you lose the ability to take phone calls via the car's system.

The solution is going to be the HondaLink apps (expected to be very expensive, but will be worth it to me) which are not yet available and no release date has been mentioned. Unfortunately, the scary part of that is the fact that they are supposedly holding it up because MirrorLink is not widely available on Android (only on Sony phones right now???) and they're depending on that. I don't really know anything about MirrorLink nor when or if it is supposed to become available for existing handsets at some point.

Meanwhile, the Bluetooth pairing and what that allows to happen is the extent of integration for Android.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:09 AM
I picked my fit ex cvt last night (my first fit) and the hondalink navigation leaves a lot to be desired.

It seems like it will work for the most part but right off the bat I have two issues.

One, it seems like if I am planning on relying on the nav for a trip I need to disable all alerts (including text messages and calls). This is not very convenient obviously; and the iphone doesn't have a simple kill switch for all alerts. You have to disable every app individually in the notification center.

Two, it seems like you can't play audio while you are running the navigation app. This really sucks when using the nav app because on a long trip while you are using nav you can't play audio for entertainment.

Last edited by bensonr2; 07-24-2014 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by bensonr2
Two, it seems like you can't play audio while you are running the navigation app. This really sucks when using the nav app because on a long trip while you are using nav you can't play audio for entertainment.
Actually you can, I just don't know what I did to get it to work! I will try to replicate it but had to be done in a sequence. I agree it is aggravating and I will use my Garmin mostly but the onscreen would be nice.

I will try to figure out what I did and either post here or message you.

Last edited by tmfit; 07-24-2014 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by tmfit
Actually you can, I just don't know what I did to get it to work! I will try to replicate it but had to be done is a sequence. I agree it is aggravating and I will use my Garmin mostly but the onscreen would be nice.

I will try to figure out what I did and either post here or message you.
Thanks! That would be much appreciated.

Though I was too general. "Some audio" entertainment such as am/fm certainly does work while the navigation is engaged. However audio from the iphone such as ipod or pandora does not seem to be able to play while in the navigation.

Ideally I would like to use my ipod classic connected to the secondary usb port as an audio source while in navigation; but I see from other posts a second ipod can't be connected while an iphone is connected via hondalink.

Also regarding ipod; it does not seem like you can pause a track from either the honda touch screen or the steering wheel controls.

Last edited by bensonr2; 07-24-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by bensonr2
Thanks! That would be much appreciated.

Though I was too general. "Some audio" entertainment such as am/fm certainly does work while the navigation is engaged. However audio from the iphone such as ipod or pandora does not seem to be able to play while in the navigation.

Ideally I would like to use my ipod classic connected to the secondary usb port as an audio source while in navigation; but I see from other posts a second ipod can't be connected while an iphone is connected via hondalink.

Also regarding ipod; it does not seem like you can pause a track from either the honda touch screen or the steering wheel controls.
Something you just posted hit me and you may be correct about using the iphone for your music. I think Iphone is disconnected from all other stuff when in gps mode. I bet I had the USB stick with music playing. I will still try to see if I can get it to work but now I think maybe not. bummer

Old 07-24-2014, 01:30 PM
Ok, I did get it to work. First I turned on bluetooth for the music, then started the navigation app and got the map up and running, this stopped the bluetooth music, I then used my selection button on the steering wheel to reselect bluetooth and the music started playing again with the navi app running. Now I can't verify that it will once you have a destination put it but at this point it works. Hope you have the same luck.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:21 PM
I tried the ipod function again with the nav and did get to work.

However when I tried to switch to pandora, I never got it to work. And then I had to restart the nav / hondalink and when it restarted I could no longer play the ipod.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
Does anyone have review on these products? Love to read them. Thanks