3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Moonroof seal

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 11:02 PM
Aesthetically, it should be the same all around. If it isn't it is crooked.

It's a Honda design, it should sit as flush as the sunroof on a Civic, Pilot or, for that matter, an Acura.

You didn't buy a Chevy, it should be straight.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Aesthetically, it should be the same all around. If it isn't it is crooked.

It's a Honda design, it should sit as flush as the sunroof on a Civic, Pilot or, for that matter, an Acura.

You didn't buy a Chevy, it should be straight.
For us, it is not a question of being crooked or straight, but more raised or lower, and even then the difference is between the front and rear. We also have the ability to impact this issue based on how long we hold the "close" switch. If we hold it until there is no further noise or movement, the sunroof is slightly raised in the rear. If we look up while we close the sunroof, and release the switch once the sunroof is closed, it then appears flush when we do a visual inspection outside the vehicle.

My gut feeling is that this is a non-issue, providing water does not leak into the interior of the car. It appears the seal does it's job of preventing all but perhaps a very small amount of moisture in, which is then directed towards the channels within the sunroof, designed to remove water.

Perhaps Honda could eliminate this concern if the switch itself cut off just a hair sooner, to avoid the appearance of a problem. Currently, at least on our car, it appears the power mechanism is "over-closing", the sunroof.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brian Jones
Me again. I took my EX to the dealer yesterday to have the moonroof seal examined. He was unsure of how the seal should be seated since there were no GK Fits on the lot (they sell too fast). He did not think the uneven seal was a problem. I asked him about the water leaking into the tray during period of moderate intensity rain, and he said that it was entirely normal to have water leak through into the drainage gutters and then exit through the tubes running down the pillars. In short, he said I had no problem. Again I ask, has anyone else had leakage past the seal into the tracks during a normal rain shower? Does anyone else have a mildly uneven line between the rubber seal and the body. My seal stands proud in the rear and along most of the sides and front. It is slightly below the body at the left and right corners, however.
I took my GK into the dealer at the request of the Honda social media representative to have the moonroof seal inspected a second time. The dealer adjusted it to what we both consider to be the optimal position. The truth is that the curvature of the body and of the moonroof glass are not precisely the same. I suspect this is true with every car with a moonroof. The spec. in the Honda service manual is +/- 1mm. Mine is now within that spec., even if it isn't perfect. There were two other EX Fits on the lot, and neither of those was perfect either. Bottom line: I am completely satisfied with the service I got, with the responsiveness of corporate Honda to issues mentioned in social media, and with the fit of the seal as adjusted. I have no complaints, only praise for both corporate and the dealer. I was also impressed with the ease with which the moonroof alignment is adjusted. Nice engineering.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:59 PM
Congrats for getting the dealer and Honda to do something.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by Brian Jones
I took my GK into the dealer at the request of the Honda social media representative to have the moonroof seal inspected a second time. The dealer adjusted it to what we both consider to be the optimal position. The truth is that the curvature of the body and of the moonroof glass are not precisely the same. I suspect this is true with every car with a moonroof. The spec. in the Honda service manual is +/- 1mm. Mine is now within that spec., even if it isn't perfect. There were two other EX Fits on the lot, and neither of those was perfect either. Bottom line: I am completely satisfied with the service I got, with the responsiveness of corporate Honda to issues mentioned in social media, and with the fit of the seal as adjusted. I have no complaints, only praise for both corporate and the dealer. I was also impressed with the ease with which the moonroof alignment is adjusted. Nice engineering.
You're right, it's so easy to adjust it yourself if you have the correct size Torx driver.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GTtoGK
You're right, it's so easy to adjust it yourself if you have the correct size Torx driver.
How about a "workshop" (pictures included), to instruct the rest of us on proper adjustment.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:42 AM
No real need to give a workshop. If you look up at the panel there are only (4) Torx bolts. Just open your moonroof so it's in the tilt position and loosen the Torx bolt(s) a little so that you can adjust the moonroof panel to sit flush with the surrounding edge.

Torx driver size is a T25. I think you could get a set of cheapo Torx drivers from Harbor Freight. *As with anything, please use/take extra care when working with tools. Hope this helps.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:40 AM
leaking seal

No brah, there is serious need for a detailed discription of the process for adjusting the sunroof seal. I suspect hundreds if not thousands are misadligned and leaking in brand new Fits. Just like mine is. So who can post the blow by blow on correcting these leaks. I'm not to impressed with the local dealers in my area. These final punch list adjustments should have been addressed prior to delivery to the end consumer.