3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Cargo Liner and Protection for 2015 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 10:03 AM
BVD
Cargo Liner and Protection for 2015 Fit

I currently own a 2007 Fit. My new 2015 should arrive possibly this week. I am a decorative painter and a dog trainer. I love my Fit for it's versatility. My concern with the 2015 is the cargo area sides are carpeted and give a bit. I would like to protect this area and the 2nd row seats that I keep down almost 24/7. Is anyone familiar with Honda's Cargo Liner and Elemmat or something similar? I am considering putting down 1/4 rubber sheet but still am concerned about protecting those side panels. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 09-09-2014, 10:43 AM
I wouldn't waste your money on it. Stick with a thin rubber mat or something similar. The cargo liner looked real cheap when I saw it, and I got the rubber cargo tray instead.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:47 AM
the Cargo Liner was included with my fit it is a light duty liner but for free i cant complain.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
The weather tech cargo liner is more of a tray since it has a bit of a lip to protect the sides ( they have not yet made one for the 2015 Fit, but it is in the works.) You could probably cut your own similar to the elemmat

Old 09-09-2014, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BVD
I currently own a 2007 Fit. My new 2015 should arrive possibly this week. I am a decorative painter and a dog trainer. I love my Fit for it's versatility. My concern with the 2015 is the cargo area sides are carpeted and give a bit. I would like to protect this area and the 2nd row seats that I keep down almost 24/7. Is anyone familiar with Honda's Cargo Liner and Elemmat or something similar? I am considering putting down 1/4 rubber sheet but still am concerned about protecting those side panels. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
We have both the cargo liner and cargo tray (and cargo cover) installed in my Daughters Fit. While not as thick as the one we installed in my wife's Mazda CX-5, it will do an excellent job of protecting your cargo area from the paint you mentioned (and mud your dog's may track in).

It comes in three pieces, one for each wheel well (which the Mazda version did not), and one larger piece that covers the entire back of your seats, and cargo floor. It is designed with slits, so you can lower one or all of your seats and still be covered. The main section is long enough that it also serves as a tailgate protector, which we need each time we load up to return my daughter to college. When not being used a tailgate cover, the extra length can either be rolled up and pushed back into the cargo area, or it can use it's velcro attachments to hang up higher on the rear of the cargo area, which then acts to protect the inside surface of your hatchback door.

The cargo area tray serves to help redefine the back storage area and also adds some "thickness" to what is otherwise a thin feeling floor panel.

We felt it was money well spent, particularly if you look at our Honda Odyssey, where we never used any sort of cover, and today it looks terrible.

Here is a link for the installation instructions, that does a much better job than I do explaining it's function:

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Images/...r_AII51180.pdf

Old 09-09-2014, 04:16 PM
m_x
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
I wouldn't waste your money on it. Stick with a thin rubber mat or something similar. The cargo liner looked real cheap when I saw it, and I got the rubber cargo tray instead.
Like cheap-cheap? It looks sort of thick in the pictures and I liked that it covered the sides and bumper. I had high hopes. But if its crap, for $130 or whatever, Ill just buy a nice razor knife, some good material, and make my own.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by Vanguard
We have both the cargo liner and cargo tray (and cargo cover) installed in my Daughters Fit. While not as thick as the one we installed in my wife's Mazda CX-5, it will do an excellent job of protecting your cargo area from the paint you mentioned (and mud your dog's may track in).

It comes in three pieces, one for each wheel well (which the Mazda version did not), and one larger piece that covers the entire back of your seats, and cargo floor. It is designed with slits, so you can lower one or all of your seats and still be covered. The main section is long enough that it also serves as a tailgate protector, which we need each time we load up to return my daughter to college. When not being used a tailgate cover, the extra length can either be rolled up and pushed back into the cargo area, or it can use it's velcro attachments to hang up higher on the rear of the cargo area, which then acts to protect the inside surface of your hatchback door.

The cargo area tray serves to help redefine the back storage area and also adds some "thickness" to what is otherwise a thin feeling floor panel.

We felt it was money well spent, particularly if you look at our Honda Odyssey, where we never used any sort of cover, and today it looks terrible.

Here is a link for the installation instructions, that does a much better job than I do explaining it's function:

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Images/...r_AII51180.pdf
Hi Vanguard!

I'm looking at the cargo liner myself for loading dirty bikes and such, but don't plan on using it 100% of the time. Is it easy to get the middle panel in / out? (I'd probably just leave the side ones in.) Would you have any concerns about the velcro in the liner marring the interior from repeat installations?

Old 11-25-2014, 09:42 AM
Cargo liner has some pros and cons. As stated, it's a bit on the thin side (do not transport shovels and the like, they may punch through if not tied down properly). It's basically three pieces of tough cloth that are formed to the back of your car; it is held in place with velcro (copious amounts of velcro, I might add) and installs in under 5 minutes. Easy to use; taking the middle piece out is really easy; grab the corners and pull. Then you can go shake it out or similar. PM me if you're interested in one. Mine came with the car, but since I don't transport bikes or anything inside the vehicle it's just sitting. I would not worry about the velcro. Whatever that stuff is that they use in the floorboard does not readily abrade. Hope this helps!

Old 11-26-2014, 10:53 PM
I just made my own liner using two mats I bought at Home Depot, following the directions on this thread:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...iner-pics.html

It looks awesome and was cheap and easy to make. It doesn't cover the cargo area sides, so I'm still trying to figure out how to protect them better. I saw some double sided carpet tape when I bought the rugs so am thinking about making additional panels out of something else and fastening them with the tape.

Instead of buying the cargo organizer, I bought two of these collapsible organizers on amazon for $13 a piece:
Robot Check Robot Check

Hope this helps, I'll post pics if I come up with something good for protecting the sides.

Old 11-27-2014, 02:53 PM
Yeah it's pretty thin and pricy but it serves my needs well...even though the Velcro doesn't hold with load ins and outs. I was amazed that I could get a full Bose L-1 pa system, suitcase, mic and instrument stands, rolling cart, and folding chair in the back with the seats UP! Wasn't expecting that. That liner will be a real scratch saver over time.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by elementalfusion
Hi Vanguard!

I'm looking at the cargo liner myself for loading dirty bikes and such, but don't plan on using it 100% of the time. Is it easy to get the middle panel in / out? (I'd probably just leave the side ones in.) Would you have any concerns about the velcro in the liner marring the interior from repeat installations?
I don't think you would have any long-term problems with the velcro. My daughter just leaves hers in, and almost forgets it is installed. The only time I could see us taking the center section out is if we needed to access the spare tire, but even then you can just pull it up from the back, and fold it up over the back seat, while you accessed the spare tire and jack.

Long term, you will be glad you have it, particularly years from now when you go to resell or trade the car. Your back area will be pristine (barring any huge paint spill, or other emergency).

I will repeat however that the Mazda version for the CX-5 is much tougher (thicker), but since we also put the cargo tray over the liner, we don't anticipate any problems.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the tips all. I was able to procure a lightly used one from someone else who determined they didn't need it and think I'll be quite happy with it. If it gets muddy, I'll just wipe it clean and / or hose it off and air dry. Loving this car!

Old 12-06-2014, 09:14 AM
I always have all the things I need to outfit my new vehicle for my dogs before I bring the car home. The car is coming next week. It sounds like the tray in the rear is the way to go, it is flimsy in the back and my dogs and fosters can be rough. Any seat covers you all prefer? I always try to seal as much of my car as possible. Any advice? Do's don't? I'm a new Fit owner downsizing from and Odyssey with 3 medium sized dogs.