3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Warranty and the cvt, 15 versus 16 inch wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 05:43 PM
Warranty and the cvt, 15 versus 16 inch wheels

Hi folks,

I have been lurking on this forum for a while and enjoyed it very much.

I've read that the cvt has a rubber belt in it and am concerned about the longevity of the belt after years of use. I have also read that the cost to fix a cvt is expensive. Therefore, I am wondering if it is worth getting the extended warranty. If so does anyone know about the specifics of the extended warranty as it would pertain to the cvt? I put about 10 to 12 thousand miles a year on my car with normal combination driving.

I have also read that the 16 inch wheels are a more comfortable ride than the 15 inch wheels. However, the smaller wheels have more sidewall and theoretically should be a more comfortable ride. What do you folks think?

Thanks,

Susan

Old 09-09-2014, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SusanB
Hi folks,

I have been lurking on this forum for a while and enjoyed it very much.

I've read that the cvt has a rubber belt in it and am concerned about the longevity of the belt after years of use. I have also read that the cost to fix a cvt is expensive. Therefore, I am wondering if it is worth getting the extended warranty. If so does anyone know about the specifics of the extended warranty as it would pertain to the cvt? I put about 10 to 12 thousand miles a year on my car with normal combination driving.

I have also read that the 16 inch wheels are a more comfortable ride than the 15 inch wheels. However, the smaller wheels have more sidewall and theoretically should be a more comfortable ride. What do you folks think?

Thanks,

Susan
In regard to your idea of an extended warranty, I think you would be covered if the belt broke prematurely ...but extended warranty's don't normally cover "wear" items. I am not a big fan of extended warranty's myself, but some are.

I am not smart enough to give advice on tire size and riding comfort, so I will refrain on offering my opinion concerning tires.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
When I asked this forum about the extended warranty, the answer was a resounding "no".

Old 09-09-2014, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
no idea on the cvt trans, i am a manual trans guy...

but, regarding the 15 vs 16, you are correct. given the same overall diameter, the 15 will have a softer ride due to sidewall height. this also varies between tire manufacturers.

i have an ex, which has the 185/55-16 bridgestones. i will be putting on 15x6 steel wheels w/ 185/65-15 for the winter. this tire size will be slightly taller then the stock 185/55-16. given similiar tire pressure, the ride will be much softer due to the taller sidewall on the 15's.

that said, the car is not a lincoln continental... the ride is taught under normal driving conditions and is a touch underdamped (bouncy) when pushing the limit cornering under bumps. i am unsure if the socks on the lx are the same as the ex, but if so, the lx would be smooth enough for most.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit CVT has a metal belt. Should be good for at least ~150K if not more based on what I've read and heard (with recommended maintenance).

I'm also looking at a set of steelies for my EX for wintertime use.

es

Old 09-09-2014, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Not saying to, or not to buy an extended warranty (I usually buy one). If you do DON'T buy one from your dealer without checking with College Hills Honda, for their price first. I bought a 7yr/120,000 mile Honda warranty for my '07 for about half of what my stealership wanted!

College Hills Honda: Honda Care VSC Information, Benefits and Coverage

Old 09-09-2014, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by spreadhead
Not saying to, or not to buy an extended warranty (I usually buy one). If you do DON'T buy one from your dealer without checking with College Hills Honda, for their price first. I bought a 7yr/120,000 mile Honda warranty for my '07 for about half of what my stealership wanted!

College Hills Honda: Honda Care VSC Information, Benefits and Coverage
Hey thanks for the link. I am saving it, up to 8 years/120,000,000 mi. looks nice.

Thanks to the rest of you all for the wheel/tire info too.

I had read somewhere that the belt was rubber but I'm glad it is metal, I think, not that I'm a mechanic, lol.

If anyone else has any more input I always appreciate what you all have to say.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by stembridge
The Fit CVT has a metal belt. Should be good for at least ~150K if not more based on what I've read and heard (with recommended maintenance).

I'm also looking at a set of steelies for my EX for wintertime use.

es

That article was written "Date: June 30, 2002 06:49"
I am not sure if that's wrong, I thought the GK was the first Fit with a CVT

Old 09-10-2014, 01:50 PM
Think of it this way:
When you buy an extended warranty, which is just repair insurance, you are paying for the commission for the guy selling it to you, the salaries of the people who run the insurance company, the facilities of that company, etc. What is left over goes to pay for repairs if you need them. If you don't need any repairs you lose the money anyway.

Your car comes with a 3-year warranty, so an extended warranty has no value at all for the first 3 years. Put the monthly cost of the extended warranty in a separate bank account and in three years you will have enough to cover just about any expected repair. If you don't need a repair you get to keep the money!

Financial experts advise to only insure against losses that you can't afford to absorb yourself. If you can afford a new car you should be able to absorb the cost of any expected repair!

A CVT has a metal belt and should last as long as any other transmission. It should not affect your decision regarding a warranty. Although this is the first year for a CVT in the US Fit it has been available for a decade in other markets. It is mature technology at this point.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by flotownj
The GK is the first Fit/Jazz to come with a CVT in the US market. Other markets have had a CVT available for quite some time. The article is from the UK - note that it calls the vehicle a Jazz, not a Fit.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:32 PM
As far as wheels and tires go, the lighter the wheel you get and the taller the sidewall, the more comfortable the ride will be. Less weight means the shocks don't have to work as hard to damp the spring oscillations from the unsprung weight of the wheels and tires.

The lighter you can make your wheel and tire setup the better, for lots of reasons, comfort included.

I got an extended warranty in 2010, but it was only $700 for 120k miles. I haven't had to use it yet, but it came with roadside assistance and the piece of mind was worth it to me since i'm on the road all the time. I'll spend $500 on tires that i'll probably use up in a year so an extra couple hundred for a 5 year warranty is really small potatoes.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:11 PM
Extended warranties are not a smart buy, I'm sorry. Please do not do that to yourself or the potential future repair shops that will have to coordinate with it. IT WILL NOT SAVE YOU AS MUCH MONEY AS YOU THINK, and THERE ARE DEDUCTIBLES DESPITE WHAT THEY TELL YOU! Also, it is a Honda, are you seriously betting against that??

Wheel size has nothing to do with ride quality, that would be tire selection and PSI.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by heybeavis
Wheel size has nothing to do with ride quality, that would be tire selection and PSI.
not totally correct, although selection and tire pressure do make a difference, tire sizing (aspect ratio, sidewall height) has a lot to do with ride quality/comfort. also, shock valving and chassis setup make a difference as well.

Last edited by rodney; 02-12-2015 at 04:15 AM.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by flotownj
The first gen FIT had a CVT in several markets (eg, Brazil), they changed to a 5 speed slushbox in the second gen and back to CVT now.

They are 100% different transmisions, the first CVT used a clutch, the current one has a torque converter.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by SusanB
Hey thanks for the link. I am saving it, up to 8 years/120,000,000 mi. looks nice.

Thanks to the rest of you all for the wheel/tire info too.

I had read somewhere that the belt was rubber but I'm glad it is metal, I think, not that I'm a mechanic, lol.

If anyone else has any more input I always appreciate what you all have to say.
When your car nears the end of the Honda warranty, you will be bombarded with offers for extended warranty. You can buy now, and pay for it now, even though the Honda warranty is in effect, or wait and buy it later. I would vote for later.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:35 PM
Just figure out how much the extended warranty will add to your payments and put that sum aside each month. You have five years of powertrain warranty and at the end of that time you will have a tidy sum set aside for repairs if they are needed. Otherwise you get to keep the money!

Pay mechanics and yourself, not insurance speculators!

Oh, and 15s do provide a slightly smoother ride with taller sidewall tires. I tend to go with 15s and then go up a size from stock for more ground clearance and a slightly taller gear ratio. This isn't a good idea if you are in snow country and use chains!

Last edited by GeorgeL; 02-12-2015 at 12:39 PM.