3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Not Always Locking My Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member
Not Always Locking My Car

I realized yesterday that I haven't always locked my Fit when I leave it parked somewhere. My routine is to shut off the engine, open the door, and press the Lock button on the armrest. Yesterday it didn't seem to lock. Then I remembered that the car won't lock with the button if the remote is inside the car. So now I throw the remote out the window and then push the Lock button. (Kidding, of course)

The strange thing is that sometimes locking the doors that way has worked because the doors were locked when I got back to the car. I'll have to use the button on the outside of the door handle from now on.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
I'll have to use the button on the outside of the door handle from now on.
that is what i do.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
Its a default setting. The proximity sensors may allow you to initially lock the door during exit BUT once it sees that the keys are inside the car still when the locked driver's (and other doors) door is closed the car will automatically unlock the driver's door.

The same is true for first gens and likely true as well on the second gen and LX third gens except using the ignition switch as a sensor.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
Its a default setting. The proximity sensors may allow you to initially lock the door during exit BUT once it sees that the keys are inside the car still when the locked driver's (and other doors) door is closed the car will automatically unlock the driver's door.

The same is true for first gens and likely true as well on the second gen and LX third gens except using the ignition switch as a sensor.
It's an excellent feature - if I remember it.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
I also have a habit of checking the lock on the door before walking away. The way it is now I close the doors, push the lock button on the exterior door handle and soon as the beep is heard I quickly pull on the handle to make sure it's really locked. I only have two seconds before it attempts to unlock the door.

I am old school checking the door locks but it gives me peace of mind that I know it's locked.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DArkk
I also have a habit of checking the lock on the door before walking away. The way it is now I close the doors, push the lock button on the exterior door handle and soon as the beep is heard I quickly pull on the handle to make sure it's really locked. I only have two seconds before it attempts to unlock the door.

I am old school checking the door locks but it gives me peace of mind that I know it's locked.
I didn't realize I had that two seconds.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:49 PM

When you push the button, can't you hear the lock actuate?

Old 12-28-2014, 12:00 AM
I'm to OCD for that, I just push the lock on the remote twice and here it beep before I walk too far way.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog
When you push the button, can't you hear the lock actuate?
Yep, I do hear the locks engage. I still check them anyway.

Had a problem with my old 2009 CRV where the locks would engage but didn't actually lock the driver door. Turns out it was a defective lock so I replaced it which was PITA.

Just an old habit I still didn't shake when checking locks.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:46 PM
I thought the doors locked automatically with the new system as long as you have the key in your pocket as you walk away from the Fit? Why are you all manually locking your car?

Old 12-28-2014, 08:20 PM
I have an LX. I have a habit of pushing the lock button just above the inside door handle. This locks all doors. I need to make sure I have the key. If key is laying on seat, I am locked out.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bbhondaguy
I thought the doors locked automatically with the new system as long as you have the key in your pocket as you walk away from the Fit? Why are you all manually locking your car?
Nope. The EX and higher model car will NOT automatically lock itself after you close the door with keys in the pocket. You have to press the little button on the exterior handle to lock it.

I haven't tried locking it without the keys in my pocket and car. So I imagine anybody can lock it without the key.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:18 PM
Nope. The EX and higher model car will NOT automatically lock itself after you close the door with keys in the pocket. You have to press the little button on the exterior handle to lock it.

I haven't tried locking it without the keys in my pocket and car. So I imagine anybody can lock it without the key.
No, I think the key has to be within range. I tried to lock it at some point in the last week and it wouldn't go. Then I realized I wasn't wearing the coat I keep my key in..I also learned the last couple days that I need to press the button real good, because just feeling the button click hasn't been engaging the trigger inside.

I remember on an older Civic, to lock the driver's door, the outside handle had to be lifted in order to push the inside lock down. I always thought that seemed so odd.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GotFitB13
I remember on an older Civic, to lock the driver's door, the outside handle had to be lifted in order to push the inside lock down. I always thought that seemed so odd.

i always used the inside handle to lock the door, not the outside.

man, i miss those days... simple cars with no lawyer mandated shitty engineered electronic nannies. simple lightweight cars that got phenominal gas mileage and were fun to drive.

sorry, i digress...

Old 01-02-2015, 07:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rodney
i always used the inside handle to lock the door, not the outside.

man, i miss those days... simple cars with no lawyer mandated shitty engineered electronic nannies. simple lightweight cars that got phenominal gas mileage and were fun to drive.

sorry, i digress...
I've been experimenting with the interior lock button. Depending where I am when I press it, the door will either lock or not.

I'm thrilled with the gas mileage of the Fit, well over the EPA estimate, and I love the electronics.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:49 AM
So I thought mine locked itself, petty sure salesman told us this, and it's locked when I go to get in..... Always just get out and walk away.... I have never touched that door handle button....? Really didn't know what it did.... Love the FIT! ALMOST 1,000 miles now.....