Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Generation (2015+) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/)
-   -   What did you do to your GK Fit today? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/87459-what-did-you-do-your-gk-fit-today.html)

SilverEX15 09-06-2016 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by KByers12 (Post 1353636)
Hey all!

This weekend I had to take apart my bumper and passenger headlight fixture to reset the headlight. I got into a small fender bender and I really didn't have the money to cover my deductible, and since it wouldn't void the pre-owned warranty, I just decided to JB Plastiweld, and reattach the bumper since everything was still intact (save the headlight mounts)

So in "classic Fuzz" fashion (as my friends would say/call me) I decided to do a little chrome elimination because...well...I despise chrome and think it looks tackier than a six cylinder Mustang with flames. (or any mustang, really)

Enter the plastidip (or in this case the Rustoleum Peel Coat).

I covered the chrome on the front and back, and reversed the badges.

I dig the way it looks:

Also: does anyone know a good way to take the silver trim off the dash? I'd love to either black or white those out, but I don't want to pull my whole car apart to do it. :wiggle:

i wonder how that Rustoleum will hold up over time. It won't be hard to remove the chrome from the dash, but what will it look like under it? It could be rough and sloppy.

KByers12 09-06-2016 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by SilverEX15 (Post 1353652)
i wonder how that Rustoleum will hold up over time. It won't be hard to remove the chrome from the dash, but what will it look like under it? It could be rough and sloppy.

I don't want to actually remove it, I just want to pop it off and dip it, but I'm afraid that some of the pieces are screwed in.

SilverEX15 09-06-2016 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by KByers12 (Post 1353663)
I don't want to actually remove it, I just want to pop it off and dip it, but I'm afraid that some of the pieces are screwed in.

That's where the lack of a shop manual hurts.

Limmie 09-06-2016 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by BenQuick (Post 1353316)
tire pump.

In 40 years of driving I have had 3 flat tires. Each time I was able to get to a tire place without having to change the tire because I had a foot pump. It is slow but probably faster than actually changing a tire and as long as you only have a slow leak it saves a lot of trouble. I found with my 2016 Fit I could accommodate one of those inexpensive foot pumps in the spare wheel area, wrapped in a cloth so it does not rattle. There's a fair amount of space down there for other emergency items.

KByers12 09-06-2016 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by SilverEX15 (Post 1353671)
That's where the lack of a shop manual hurts.

Does one exist? I haven't actively searched, but it would good to have. #righttorepair

SilverEX15 09-06-2016 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by KByers12 (Post 1353676)
Does one exist? I haven't actively searched, but it would good to have. #righttorepair

No paper or disc manuals available for several years. Bad, Honda!

SilverEX15 09-06-2016 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Limmie (Post 1353674)
In 40 years of driving I have had 3 flat tires. Each time I was able to get to a tire place without having to change the tire because I had a foot pump. It is slow but probably faster than actually changing a tire and as long as you only have a slow leak it saves a lot of trouble. I found with my 2016 Fit I could accommodate one of those inexpensive foot pumps in the spare wheel area, wrapped in a cloth so it does not rattle. There's a fair amount of space down there for other emergency items.

I carry a plug-in pump, but I've never had to use it.

Fitster C. 09-06-2016 05:23 PM

I used a plug-in for a while when we found ourselves surrounded by no-service stations, but then got on track with Discount Tire and free pressure checks. I have not needed it since, but hang on in case of the slow leak scenario.

KByers12 09-06-2016 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by KByers12 (Post 1353642)
Are these just plug and play LEDs? Everything I've read up to this point (which admittedly isn't much) said you have to retrofit the LED bulbs.

Originally Posted by FitRaptor (Post 1353456)
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fit...7c00de662.jpeg

Just installed here's the info.<br/>Amazon purchase<br/>-Headlights H4 stark 6k lm<br/>-H8: Calais fog golden color<br/>-7440 Partsam rear reverse led lights

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fit...8c96e3428.jpeg

EBAY: Switchback turn signals, sorry the best I can do with my iPhone. <br/>7440 Amber white high power turn signal light switchback projector led + resistor. Seller was esongbpn 99.6 positive feedback.

I realize I didn't quote you...

Are these just plug and play LEDs? Everything I've read up to this point (which admittedly isn't much) said you have to retrofit the LED bulbs.

FitRaptor 09-06-2016 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by KByers12 (Post 1353642)

Ok here it goes from my experience so far. It's been a few days since I installed my LED lights.
-Interior are all "plug and play" you just need to find the bulb size.
-exterior is almost all plug and play.
Reverse light plug and play (7440)size
Fog lights plug and play (h8)size
Headlight plug and play (h4/HB2) but with these you will need to find a location for the ballast zip-tie it somewhere or use 20lbs double sided tape to place it somewhere convenient.
Front turn signal are (7440) BUT these lights require a resistor. When installing LED on turn signals the cpu thinks it has a bulb out because of the low voltage the LED creates since these signals turn on/off continuesly. Now if you YouTube "led turn signal installation" you would see what I am talking about and also learn how to install it. It's very simple. Trust me if I can do it anyone can :nod: good luck buddy

orataro 09-06-2016 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by FitRaptor (Post 1353727)
Ok here it goes from my experience so far. It's been a few days since I installed my LED lights.
Headlight plug and play (h4/HB2) but with these you will need to find a location for the ballast zip-tie it somewhere or use 20lbs double sided tape to place it somewhere convenient.
Front turn signal are (7440) BUT these lights require a resistor. When installing LED on turn signals the cpu thinks it has a bulb out because of the low voltage the LED creates since these signals turn on/off continuesly. Now if you YouTube "led turn signal installation" you would see what I am talking about and also learn how to install it. It's very simple. Trust me if I can do it anyone can :nod: good luck buddy

I too have switched to all LED's other then the turn signals (Hyperflash working on it) Next will be my headlights. Do the DRL's still work while running the LED's in the headlights?

KByers12 09-07-2016 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by FitRaptor (Post 1353727)

What did you do about the boot? The stark kit says you can't use the boot with it, and doesn't that leaves the whole inside of the headlight fixture exposed....

FitRaptor 09-07-2016 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by orataro (Post 1353745)
I too have switched to all LED's other then the turn signals (Hyperflash working on it) Next will be my headlights. Do the DRL's still work while running the LED's in the headlights?

The DRL still works perfect, so far no issues

FitRaptor 09-07-2016 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by KByers12 (Post 1353748)
What did you do about the boot? The stark kit says you can't use the boot with it, and doesn't that leaves the whole inside of the headlight fixture exposed....

I was also afraid of this and committed to cut the boot so it can fit BUT to my surprise it fits perfect. I'll snap a picture today so you all can take a look at it. Fits like if it was stock

FitRaptor 09-07-2016 06:36 PM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fit...46596bb26.jpeg

Originally Posted by KByers12 (Post 1353748)

This is the stark LED feature on the boot. Looks like it came from factory

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fit...b3dd02f83.jpeg

A farther view

orataro 09-07-2016 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by FitRaptor (Post 1353758)
The DRL still works perfect, so far no issues

Thanks. I was informed that I needed to pull the fuse for the DRL's if I wanted to run some LED's for my headlights. And, the Boot issue, I think it's a heating issue? By removing the boot it keeps the lamps from over heating. I could be wrong. Just a thought.

Thanks again.

Fuelish 09-08-2016 08:27 AM

haven't done it yet today (on truck/out for delivery today), but am fixin' to install a Tanabe Medalion Touring axleback on it...if the right product shows up (eBay ;) ) One of the better prices I've seen, and fast, free delivery....ordered it Tues morning, shipped out that day, will be on my front porch this afternoon :cool:

FitRaptor 09-08-2016 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by orataro (Post 1353800)
Thanks. I was informed that I needed to pull the fuse for the DRL's if I wanted to run some LED's for my headlights. And, the Boot issue, I think it's a heating issue? By removing the boot it keeps the lamps from over heating. I could be wrong. Just a thought.

Thanks again.

Why would you pull the fuse? Because the lights stay on all day?
And about the boot. Well I really have not gotten that far. And if that's an issue (which I hope it is not) then I should do the same. Have to go back to the drawing board. Need to find out more info on these LED's. Dude I just read all the bad reviews of this spark system and all have something in common "after a few months lights flicker and dead!" Definitely don't want this happening to mine. And if this is due to the overheating then I'll punch some holes on that boot :eek3:

orataro 09-08-2016 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by FitRaptor (Post 1353845)
Why would you pull the fuse? Because the lights stay on all day?
And about the boot. Well I really have not gotten that far. And if that's an issue (which I hope it is not) then I should do the same. Have to go back to the drawing board. Need to find out more info on these LED's. Dude I just read all the bad reviews of this spark system and all have something in common "after a few months lights flicker and dead!" Definitely don't want this happening to mine. And if this is due to the overheating then I'll punch some holes on that boot :eek3:

I too wasn't sure why I had to pull the fuse for the DRL's. As for the boot issue, from what I've read on some of these higher output LED headlights is it is not suggested for headlights with a dust cover on the rear of the boot. From my understanding the Fit does not have a cover but only the boot. So, I think it should be okay.

FitRaptor 09-08-2016 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by orataro (Post 1353861)
I too wasn't sure why I had to pull the fuse for the DRL's. As for the boot issue, from what I've read on some of these higher output LED headlights is it is not suggested for headlights with a dust cover on the rear of the boot. From my understanding the Fit does not have a cover but only the boot. So, I think it should be okay.

I just doubled checked if the DRL's work fine and they do.
-Driving lights: Light is dim
-Lights On: light seems brighter
-high: annoyingly brighter lol
All working fine.