3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

CVT: LX vs. EX

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 02:09 AM
5 Year Member
CVT: LX vs. EX

Coming into this in just the last month or so, I'm getting really intrigued by the Fit CVT. I'm 95% sure the Fit will be my next car (can't find anything close in the cost/benefit ratio dept.) and in my research and it seems the Fit CVT is special in the AT world. I read a lot here (esp. loved the "tranny wars" thread) and pored over the owners manual and I hope some of you can confirm a few things.

The CVT tranmissions are the same, correct? The only differences I see are the different ways to access manual mode -- LX uses the shift lever and EX has paddles. Both are seven-speed selectors, right?

Plus the EX has the ECON button that further "gears down" engine revving (I'm probably not saying that correctly) for better energy efficiency but with a performance hit, though you can easily turn it off.

Am I missing anything?

Like I said, I'm intrigued by the CVT. I've been a dedicated MT guy for years (actually decades -- '60s-'70s ruled, what a time) and in a way I can't believe I'm even writing this. The higher CVT mileage is a real surprise. And I have a few issues with the Fit MT that continue to nag at me (esp. the gearing, what's with that? It's like sixth gear is really fifth gear and fifth gear is really a 4.5 gear -- I can't believe they did that). Now I'm starting to get a feeling that it wouldn't be so bad to go to the dark side.

At first I thought an EX with an MT would be the easy choice since it's cheaper and I'm on a budget, but there's a tiny part of me starting to wonder if I could live without all the EX goodies and opt for the LX CVT -- or maybe even bust the budget and go for it all (way less than a 10% increase, not really bad). I even did the math the other night to work out how long it would take to make back the CVT mileage difference (something like seven-eight years assuming gas averages $3.50 a gallon but longer if gas costs less). I also realize there's a risk of clutch blowout, but I think that's very low. Taking all this into consideration, it's starting to look like a toss-up, it really is.

Last edited by bach; 02-25-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:45 AM
I also researched the Fit for about a year before purchasing it and arrived at the same conclusion you did, there is nothing out there in subcompact size with the interior room that it has. It is the ideal size for me. The low price and numerous amenities (mine is an EX-L) is just icing. Like you, I really enjoy a good MT, but this CVT is smooth, quiet and efficient (mpg wise). Yes, it is the same CVT in the LX and EX, and yes the CVT has simulated 7-speed gearing.

My ECON button is always on, it dumbs down the throttle response and HVAC usage and also makes the cruise control a bit less aggressive, especially on uphills where it won't use as much throttle and consequently will lose a little speed, which I am absolutely fine with. There are a few threads which discuss differences between the transmissions and models, but the EX is really a great deal for what you get and one I couldn't pass up.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:49 AM
Just a note that all trims have ECON, so you'll get that in the LX too.

(There's a big thread on LX vs EX here - most favor the EX since it's a good deal, but for me personally none of the EX features added any substantial value, so I opted for the LX )

Last edited by cranraspberry; 02-25-2015 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:22 AM
The LX doesn't have the 7 speed simulated gearings, it has three modes (D, L, S) that change the way the software selects the CVT ratio under different circumstances, but you cannot select a specific fixed ratio.

Last edited by gusvera; 02-25-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by bach
Coming into this in just the last month or so, I'm getting really intrigued by the Fit CVT. I'm 95% sure the Fit will be my next car (can't find anything close in the cost/benefit ratio dept.) and in my research and it seems the Fit CVT is special in the AT world. I read a lot here (esp. loved the "tranny wars" thread) and pored over the owners manual and I hope some of you can confirm a few things.

Where is this tranny wars thread? I would like to read it.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JoeKay
Where is this tranny wars thread? I would like to read it.

It's here: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...al-vs-cvt.html

Old 03-01-2015, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
I found out that I can change "gears" on the "D" mode by using the paddles. I used it often during the traffic jams so I don't have to hit brakes often. After a few seconds without touching paddles, it returned to normal D.

I tried "S" mode but don't really use it because it kept the RPM high and more jerk during the "gears" changes.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by TaubBaer
After a few seconds without touching paddles, it returned to normal D.
Or if you want to return to normal D mode quickly, press and hold the right paddle for approx 2 seconds.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GoBucky
Or if you want to return to normal D mode quickly, press and hold the right paddle for approx 2 seconds.
And in addition, holding the right paddle in "S" mode turns off the fixed (1-7) gears and reverts to variable mode until you touch a paddle again.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TaubBaer
I found out that I can change "gears" on the "D" mode by using the paddles. I used it often during the traffic jams so I don't have to hit brakes often. After a few seconds without touching paddles, it returned to normal D.

I tried "S" mode but don't really use it because it kept the RPM high and more jerk during the "gears" changes.
Hi,
Do you upshift (- paddle) in order to slow down. Please share when do we need to use - paddle and + paddle. So far I only tried - paddle to accelerate from stop or keep up with traffic.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by ritholtz
Hi,
Do you upshift (- paddle) in order to slow down. Please share when do we need to use - paddle and + paddle. So far I only tried - paddle to accelerate from stop or keep up with traffic.
No, you will have to downshift to slow down (left paddle). I think you have your + and - paddles mixed up. Upshift (right paddle) is the + paddle and downshift is the - paddle. When accelerating from a stop, you use the +/right paddle, to decelerate use the -/left paddle.

Last edited by GoBucky; 03-03-2015 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
No, you will have to downshift to slow down (left paddle). I think you have your + and - paddles mixed up. Upshift (right paddle) is the + paddle and downshift is the - paddle. When accelerating from a stop, you use the +/right paddle, to decelerate use the -/left paddle.
Thanks for clarifying upshift (+) and downshit (-). Car accelerated / pulled faster when I did downshift to lower gear.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:30 PM
Cool

but this CVT is smooth, quiet and efficient (mpg wise). .
Quiet? Quiet?? Are you sure you were driving a Fit?

Old 03-04-2015, 06:50 AM
Originally Posted by leavenfish
Quiet? Quiet?? Are you sure you were driving a Fit?
Yup, quiet. But keep in mind, I'm pretty easy on the go pedal. I don't see the tach north of 2k very often.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:08 AM
Yup, quiet. But keep in mind, I'm pretty easy on the go pedal. I don't see the tach north of 2k very often.

Well, when I test drove one about a month ago, there was as much road noise as my 2006 Civic EX. I did not test on an interstate - where I drive north of 75% of the time, so I need to do that - just around the countryside at about 55mph. Loud...is the word for it...as loud as my Civic.