3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Run More Ethanol?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
Run More Ethanol?

Ok to start with, I don't want to turn this into a debate about ethanol and its pro's and con's.

I also don't want this to turn into a big lecture about potentially voiding my warranty. Yes, I know if something goes wrong with the powertrain because of my fuel choice, Honda may void my warranty.

With that said, has anyone run more than E10 in their GK? I'm curious how it handled it.

In like 2009-2010, for a few months I ran E20 exclusively in my GD3 and had absolutely no issues. I was actually doing this on accident. The gas station I was going to only dispensed E20 and there was minimal signage to indicate that.

But I'm starting to get more interested in alternative fuel sources. Many people claim that "flex fuel capable" engines from most of car brands have nothing more than a software tweak to ensure adequate performance.

So I'm thinking about installing one of those E85 conversion kits and running a few tanks to see how it works. Not gonna lie, I'm a little worried but I don't think I could do any significant damage.

So I guess I'm looking for some input either way.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
There are a few people that run a Mix of E85 and premium gas with no issues. I believe the check engine light comes on at a mix close to E35. Maybe they can come on and tell their story. Nothing to worry about but I would not keep doing it. The stock injectors are bigger on the L15 motors so there is more room for fuel enrichment.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:24 PM
Im guessing it shouldnt be an issue. However, E85 with a DI engine may cause issues due to the ECM programmed for E10 (E20?)

I would not venture down the road of any ethanol in fuel. Its hydrophilic, and less BTUs per molar weight than gasoline, causing lower gas milage than could be achieved on pure gasoline. Just my 0.02 cents

Old 05-02-2015, 09:27 PM
Funny I just filled up on a new ethanol free pump 30 mins ago. It's been almost impossible to find around here.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Redd
Funny I just filled up on a new ethanol free pump 30 mins ago. It's been almost impossible to find around here.
Up until a about a year ago or so, most stations here had at least 1 ethanol free option, which I preferred to run in the GD3 because I got about 15% better fuel efficiency with it compared to E10.

Its getting harder to find ethanol free gas here lately, but some stations still have it. In my experience, the GK doesn't seem to benefit as much from it as the GD did, so I've been sticking with E10.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:16 PM
I wish I could find an ethanol-free pump, but some sort of oxygenate is mandated here in California and ethanol is the only commercially viable oxygenate.

The sad thing is that ethanol is a fraud. It barely yields more energy than that required to grow, ferment, and distill the corn. It drives up feed prices and costs us more at the supermarket. The only winners are the big agribusiness companies who have the legislative clout to mandate its production and use.

The only logical fuel use for alcohol is as a racing fuel. It has a very high octane rating which allows higher BMEP in engines, but the downside is that it has a much lower energy density. It's great if you want to make a lot of power and don't care how much fuel you actually use.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:30 PM
Around here I only see it in former kerosene pumps and they advertise it for lawn and garden use since old lawn mowers have big issues with ethanol.

Another station I know of that's farther away doesn't carry ethanol free in winter because of that intention.

George I agree with your opinion as well. I suppose we would see much less corn syrup in our food as well if corn wasn't subsidized.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
We have had ethanol in our fuels for 42 years. Premium was either ethanol free or used less like 5 percent or another alcohol or ether like TAME or ETBE. Butanol or Isobutanol, I believe BP uses in their Premium. The problem with ethanol is phase separation and corrosion to exhaust parts. 10 percent ethanol has about 3.5 less energy but lowers the knock threshold by about the same which allows more timing. Even ethanol free gasoline's has some sort of oxygenate. They want to raise the ethanol in our gas to E15 and I hope it does not pass. E20 I believe is in Minnesota. E15 caused 2 out of 5 cars to fail emissions.

E85 is a cheap racing fuel which if used right will have very good results.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:15 AM
Hey Andre, just out of curiosity, what is driving you to want to switch to E85?

Old 10-15-2018, 07:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
I wish I could find an ethanol-free pump, but some sort of oxygenate is mandated here in California and ethanol is the only commercially viable oxygenate.

The sad thing is that ethanol is a fraud. It barely yields more energy than that required to grow, ferment, and distill the corn. It drives up feed prices and costs us more at the supermarket. The only winners are the big agribusiness companies who have the legislative clout to mandate its production and use.

The only logical fuel use for alcohol is as a racing fuel. It has a very high octane rating which allows higher BMEP in engines, but the downside is that it has a much lower energy density. It's great if you want to make a lot of power and don't care how much fuel you actually use.
you have to wonder what kind of spin the folks in washington would come up with if confronted publicly with the math

Old 10-15-2018, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
From the owners manual:
"Your vehicle is designed to operate on oxygenated gasoline containing up to 15% ethanol by volume."