3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Anybody with a strut and/or wheel area problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 09:01 PM
Anybody with a strut and/or wheel area problem?

So in the last 1-2 weeks I had noticed a clicking/thud noise coming from the front right wheel area, especially at low speeds (maybe 30mph or less). Maybe it happens at other speeds but it's more clearly noticeable at these lower speeds.
I had to take a long trip with the Fit, and stopped at a dealer in Tallahassee since I was concerned now that I was actually convinced that I was hearing something abnormal and i was not simply being nitpicky. The service tech rode with me and and also heard the noise and within 10-20 seconds he said that it sounded like maybe a strut going bad, but that it was safe to drive (I was glad that the noise was validated by someone else). I couldn't wait for them to look at it more closely since I had to continue with my trip. I'll be away from home for a while, but I've made an appointment with a Honda dealer in Valdosta, GA, for this Thursday.
Have any of you experienced something similar?
I just hope that whatever it is that the warranty covers it, and that it's not one of those things that can be blamed on me.

Last edited by 2015FIT; 02-02-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:20 AM
5 Year Member
Struts

Funny you should post about the Struts. The Rear Struts on mine are leaking according to the Honda Dealer Tech I went to for an Oil Change recently. I'm getting new ones replaced under warranty on Monday.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:37 AM
Mine too. Mine was making a clicking like sound when going over small bumps. I had been hearing this noise ever since I got my car brand new! Turns out one of the struts was very rusted. It got replaced under Honda Care though.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:06 PM
Mine does the same thing. It has to do with the strut mount. Honda is replacing mine under warranty but according to the local dealer it's on national back order.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Thestig0711
Mine does the same thing. It has to do with the strut mount. Honda is replacing mine under warranty but according to the local dealer it's on national back order.
I went to the dealer on Feb 4 and had the same diagnosis as you (well, they said that they needed to replace the front-right strut assembly); and, like you, was told that the part is on back order. I'm glad that warranty is covering it, but it's too bad that I have to wait more. I'll post again whenever the dealer tells me the part is ready. As of today, Feb 15, the dealer informed me that there is no update on the part yet.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:43 AM
Contact American Honda and see if the part doesn't automatically fall off back order
Customer Service - Official Honda Web Site

Old 02-16-2016, 01:27 PM
Parts do go on back order. I don't know which planet you're from but it does happen. If there is a shortage in the country, there is a shortage then. If the manufacturing company is behind on making them and the supply is deminished, the part will go on back order.

Spoke with the dealer and it has a release date of the 21st. Orders will be filled in the order of them being placed. Should be here before the end of the month.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
Pretty much all the OEM's keep a stash of "emergency" replacement parts in their warehouse. Sometimes you can shake the tree and one falls out..

Old 02-26-2016, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by nullxposur
Contact American Honda and see if the part doesn't automatically fall off back order
Customer Service - Official Honda Web Site
Well, I did call American Honda and about a week later I found out that the part was now available - I have my service appointment on Mon, Feb 29. Now, I don't know it that's coincidence or if the call actually did something. However, the call did create an unintended consequence. My service adviser told me that me calling American Honda got him into trouble. I asked him if he wanted me to call American Honda so I can explain to them that I had no complaints about him or the dealer, but he asked me to "please don't call them." What would you guys/gals suggest I can do to make it up to him, I did not mean to get him into trouble? I'll ask him when I go in for my appointment, but if you have any suggestions let me know.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
2015FIT, seriously, you are concerned with his hurt feelings? If an advisor told me that, you better believe I'd be on the phone in the next 30 seconds blasting him for saying that to me and I'd make that call right in front of him. He was the one out of line, not you. You are the consumer, you have the rights, and you obviously felt the need to contact AH for status. You did nothing wrong. If you feel you're not being treated well at that dealer, seek another one.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Rooster
2015FIT, seriously, you are concerned with his hurt feelings? If an advisor told me that, you better believe I'd be on the phone in the next 30 seconds blasting him for saying that to me and I'd make that call right in front of him. He was the one out of line, not you. You are the consumer, you have the rights, and you obviously felt the need to contact AH for status. You did nothing wrong. If you feel you're not being treated well at that dealer, seek another one.
I did not have a complaint or problem with how the advisor and the dealer treated me, that is why I feel bad that I got him into trouble (according to him at least). When I called Honda it was only to get more information on the back-ordered part, not to complain about the advisor or dealer.
I don't think I did anything wrong, but if what the advisor said was true, then it's a shame that a call to Honda gets them in trouble, even if the call wasn't to complain.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:41 AM
5 Year Member
I know you didn't have a problem with the dealer/advisor, but you did after he uttered the 'you got me into trouble' line on you, or at least you should have. Saying that was totally out of line and he/she should never have said that to you, ever. That is an internal issue between Honda and their dealer network and isn't of your concern. Your post seemed to indicate that your actions eventually made you feel badly and that should never be. I realize that dealers/advisors are 'rated' by Honda, but if Honda considers a call to their customer care as a blackmark then that's an issue the dealers ahve to sort out with Honda. You just seemed to want to make it up to the advisor when in fact he should be making up to you.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Rooster
I know you didn't have a problem with the dealer/advisor, but you did after he uttered the 'you got me into trouble' line on you, or at least you should have. Saying that was totally out of line and he/she should never have said that to you, ever. That is an internal issue between Honda and their dealer network and isn't of your concern.
I agree that he shouldn't have said that, it was unprofessional from him. Thanks for the reply, it helped me see this as what it was, a business transaction, not a personal problem.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
my car had a bad front right strut that would rattle over bumps. car clunked and sounded like it had 300,000 miles. dealer stated "could not replicate issue".

this was one of the handful of reasons the car is now owned by someone else...

Old 03-24-2016, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
For the most part, OEM shocks and struts are shot by 50K miles.. They just need them to last past the warrantee..

Old 03-24-2016, 10:56 PM
It does seem that the dealers live in fear of Honda Customer Service. When I bought my car the sales and finance people both separately said "You will receive a survey from Honda. If there is anything that would make you rate me at less than the highest score please call me and let me fix whatever is wrong."

It follows that the service department would be equally affected. However, it is unfortunate that the service people get into trouble because Honda dropped the ball on stocking spares.