3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

LaneWatch Camera Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
LaneWatch Camera Problems

I'm wondering who else is continuing to have problems with the LaneWatch camera. When I signal right, or turn the camera on manually, the screen sometimes goes black. Sometimes it will turn on the rear view camera. This has been happening since I got the car in August, 2014. It's happened thirteen times now, but there's no way to reproduce it on demand. Honda knows about the problem, but has no solution.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
I'm wondering who else is continuing to have problems with the LaneWatch camera. When I signal right, or turn the camera on manually, the screen sometimes goes black. Sometimes it will turn on the rear view camera. This has been happening since I got the car in August, 2014. It's happened thirteen times now, but there's no way to reproduce it on demand. Honda knows about the problem, but has no solution.
We purchased our 2015 Fit in July 2014. Even on the way home from the dealer (2 hour drive from home), the lane watch did not work. Sometimes it would show rear view rather than right side view, other times it was black.

I mentioned it on an earlier thread about this problem and the Honda Customer Service rep sent me a private message, and later arranged for the unit to be replaced. We did not need to do anything but show up at the dealer. Everything was arranged by Honda.

Since the exchange, the problems have not resurfaced. I would contact Honda Customer Service and ask for an exchange while still under warranty. Does this problem also exist in your son's car, or just yours?

Old 02-21-2016, 03:22 PM
this could be rather dangerous if what you thought was a lanewatch was actually a clear rear view

Old 02-24-2016, 01:22 PM
My dealer replaced my infotainment head unit after I showed them a video I recorded of LaneWatch showing the rear camera. I haven't had any LaneWatch issues since.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanguard
We purchased our 2015 Fit in July 2014. Even on the way home from the dealer (2 hour drive from home), the lane watch did not work. Sometimes it would show rear view rather than right side view, other times it was black.

I mentioned it on an earlier thread about this problem and the Honda Customer Service rep sent me a private message, and later arranged for the unit to be replaced. We did not need to do anything but show up at the dealer. Everything was arranged by Honda.

Since the exchange, the problems have not resurfaced. I would contact Honda Customer Service and ask for an exchange while still under warranty. Does this problem also exist in your son's car, or just yours?
Sorry for the delayed reply. All the Fit email was sent to Spam.

No, only my car has this problem.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
I just called Honda Customer Service, 800-999-1009, and he said that the dealer has to see the problem before he can do anything about it. I wish they had told me that 18 months ago. He said to go straight to a dealer the next time it happens. Sure. That's practical. I think I'll try to get video of it, instead. Good old cell phone.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
As I left the house today, the LaneWatch wasn't working, so I drove to the dealer. He verified it. I called Customer Service again, and he said I have to work with the dealer. The problem is that I never know when it's going to malfunction, and I can't just bring it in when it goes bad and leave it running for a day or so till they can get to it.

EDIT: I'll bring it Wednesday, March 2, get a loaner car, and hope for the best.

Last edited by SilverEX15; 02-26-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
As I left the house today, the LaneWatch wasn't working, so I drove to the dealer. He verified it. I called Customer Service again, and he said I have to work with the dealer. The problem is that I never know when it's going to malfunction, and I can't just bring it in when it goes bad and leave it running for a day or so till they can get to it.

EDIT: I'll bring it Wednesday, March 2, get a loaner car, and hope for the best.
As I recall, before the dealer replaced our unit, we needed to bring the car in so they could document some information from the original unit (hardware or software version perhaps)?

Once we did that, they could order the replacement from some special engineering department within Honda. At the time I really did not pay that much attention to what they were doing, or why they said they needed to do it that way.

Since your dealer has already verified it was defective, I would think all they need to do now is order the replacement. I seem to recall it took about 4 or 5 hours to make the switch, which is why we dropped the car off and came back that night to get it.

Supposedly, the defective unit was sent back to that "special" department to be torn down and studied. I did get the impression Honda wanted to determine and solve the issue quickly, since it could represent a considerable safety issue (which is true of course).

Good luck!

Old 02-27-2016, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanguard
As I recall, before the dealer replaced our unit, we needed to bring the car in so they could document some information from the original unit (hardware or software version perhaps)?
Good luck!
Thanks. I'll post a follow-up message when I get it back, Wed or Thurs. On the phone, they gave no indication what they were going to do with it. They mentioned "evaluating and checking." I just hope they don't keep starting and stopping the engine, waiting for the fault to appear.