3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Buying a new 2016 Fit LX. Anything I should now?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 10:03 AM
Buying a new 2016 Fit LX. Anything I should now?

Hi all,

Been lurking here while I've been deciding what car to get and have finally settled on the Fit LX. Have test driven a few and they really stuck out compared to the other cars we were looking at.

So tonight if all goes well at the dealer I plan to be driving a way in a new Yellow 2016 fit. Talking to the dealer I made sure the one we are buying was a made in Japan one.

This is my first time buying a new car off the lot. Is there anything I should look for or know before I buy?

Old 03-14-2016, 10:50 AM
I'm also considering a Fit. The positive attributes of the Fit are obvious, but there are many threads in this forum reflecting ills associated with this generation of the Fit. Generally, I think many forums tend to shed more light on problems associated with a particular vehicle. Of course, this isn't always the case. Some issues Fit owners have experienced include the following: water leaks taillights, gap between the dashboard and A-pillar; gap between the front bumper and fender; sagging front bumper; flimsy fitment of the front license plate bracket, splash guard in the undercarriage section and crossbar on the hatch; squeaks and rattles; alignment and tire wear issues; strut issues; warped brakes; battery issues; weak A/C; easily scratched/chipped paint; CVT recall; door handle recall; grab handle recall.

To the contrary, some Fit owners will share that they haven't experienced any issues with their Fit. Like you, I walked away impressed after test driving a 2016 Fit LX. However, I'm in the process of weighing the pros and cons before I decide whether to purchase.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
Not a single issue with my 2016 Mexican assembled FIT. Delivered December 29, 2015. Manual transmission and even in cold weather running with four snow tires, I'm getting about 37-38 MPG.

My only con is that on a long trip (3.5+ hours), the seat isn't all that comfortable. But a good cushion will cure that, once I find one.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by KayakPaddler
Not a single issue with my 2016 Mexican assembled FIT. Delivered December 29, 2015. Manual transmission and even in cold weather running with four snow tires, I'm getting about 37-38 MPG.

My only con is that on a long trip (3.5+ hours), the seat isn't all that comfortable. But a good cushion will cure that, once I find one.
Sounds good. I sure would like to hear from others like you with positive experiences.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
2016 LX exe car.

I don,t think the 2016 LX suffers most of the minor issues of the first 2015s ,Like any new generation there are a few problems to work out, rest assured this generation is a great car and like all fits will be a very desirable little car to own for many years.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
The other comment I'll make is that some have complained that the roof dents easily. I had a Thule roof rack and Hullavator installed over the weekend by a professional installer.

He did an excellent job; the roof looks exactly the same as when I took delivery: perfectly smooth. During the installation process he commented that all new vehicle roofs are made of thinner metal because it's a cost saver for the manufacturer, so they take extra care when doing the installations.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by MyFirstHonda
Sounds good. I sure would like to hear from others like you with positive experiences.
Positive here also. Not a single problem so far. 2016 LX with manual transmission, assembled in Mexico. Purchased new on December 30, 2015.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by KayakPaddler
The other comment I'll make is that some have complained that the roof dents easily. I had a Thule roof rack and Hullavator installed over the weekend by a professional installer.

He did an excellent job; the roof looks exactly the same as when I took delivery: perfectly smooth. During the installation process he commented that all new vehicle roofs are made of thinner metal because it's a cost saver for the manufacturer, so they take extra care when doing the installations.
Prior to test driving the Fit, I pressed down on the roof in a few spots. I found the roof to be thin, but comparable to the roof on my 2016 Honda Civic EX-T. I usually feel the roof of my Civic give slightly when I wash it. Considering the Fit's subcompact makeup and light weight, the thinness of the roof doesn't surprise or bother me.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:48 PM
My yellow 2016 LX (CVT and so with a J-VIN) has been problem free for the past two months and 3000+ miles. Small sample size, but that's the nature of the beast when talking about a brand new car. Drove it 600 miles in two days on a road trip to Salt Lake City two weekends ago and was comfortable the whole time.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
I scratched the paint on my 2016 LX manual, hecho en Mexico, on a cardboard box in my garage. The paint is thin. I'll fix it with a paint marker I bought from the dealer.

Other than this small cosmetic issue, the car has been great, and is really nice to drive. The transmission is very smooth. While it is a 6MT, I really use it as a 5MT, either skipping from 3d to 5th, or 4th to 6th. The 6th gear is not much of an overdrive.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
My June bought 2014 Mexican EX has exceeded my expectations. Yes, I had the voluntary bumper upgrade and the coil recall, but I've had nothing go wrong and everything fits right. It's a fun and reliable -and comfortable - car.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
LX-CVT, 1500 miles, 36-37 mpg. Only complaint is reflection from the dashboard onto the window, and some glare from silver dash trim onto side windows.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:45 PM
Another small sample size - bought 2 months ago and 5000 miles driven. So far, no issues whatsoever. Made in Japan. No rattles, strange sounds or leaks. Smooth drive and high mpg. Has a solid feel and look to it. The seats are comfortable for me, even on long trips. I really like the height adjustment for the drivers seat. Lots of interior room for such a small car. I like it a lot.

It is a small sample size but that's pretty much all you'll get from us 2016 owners.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:34 PM
Know your financing leverage. Honda will try to get the most of what they can in interest. It happened to me and when I told them my area of interest based on my credit, suddenly my rate dropped. Review, review your contract. DO NOT PAY FOR ADD-ON OR EXTRA WARRANTY!

Old 03-15-2016, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
I wanted to change my fit most becuase seats are unconfotable in medoum long trips. It makes my back in pain and legs numb. Other than that the car is great with fuel economy 40 city 50 highwy (my mom says I drive like an old lady but I do not care, gas prices here are way to expensive).

If it where me I would also see the mazda 2 I think in the usa has other name(scion ia) or I would wait. Honda fit it is in its third year so next year it will come up with upgrades such as led headlamps, and some other little features. But the car is pretty good for the price.

I leave you with some Consumer Reports says about the fit. (last issue).

I would say buy the last auto issue if you want to consider other cars or what to know more. I realy like the magazine for what is worth it.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
Wheel alignment should be paid close attention to. I bought a '15. I quickly noticed bad alignment and rear axle is non adjustable. I just went to buy a '16 (so I could give the '15 to my son), paid close attention to alignment on test drive. It pulled to the right. I had them out it on the alignment machine before I would buy and again the rear axle was out of spec. I did not buy because they could not promise to fix and tried to say it drives straight.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:51 AM
Thanks for all the comments everyone. After a long drawn-out process I got a pretty good deal after everything was said and done. Interest is a little higher than I would have liked but being a recent college grad with a couple student loans I wasn't expecting much.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:58 PM
I differ with the CR statement about interior noise. It may be loud compared to the Lexus and Mercedes they just drove, but it is remarkably quiet compared to subcompacts of just a few years before. I can comfortably make hands-free phone calls at highway speeds which is quiet enough for me.

Also, the CVT only revs past 3500 when you put your foot in it. Even on SoCal freeway hills revs generally stay at 3000. On the flat, it's 2300RPM at 70MPH and I hear wind more than engine.

Last edited by GeorgeL; 03-15-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SteveSatch
Wheel alignment should be paid close attention to. I bought a '15. I quickly noticed bad alignment and rear axle is non adjustable. I just went to buy a '16 (so I could give the '15 to my son), paid close attention to alignment on test drive. It pulled to the right. I had them out it on the alignment machine before I would buy and again the rear axle was out of spec. I did not buy because they could not promise to fix and tried to say it drives straight.
My '15 wore out the right rear tire in 10,000 miles due to a bad rear axle (out of spec and non-adjustable). You couldn't feel it on the road, but I noticed the right rear tire was wearing much faster than the other three. Dealer replaced the axle under warranty and alignment is now good, but I'm stuck with a worn out tire. This means I'll have to buy four new tires for a year old car, because I won't buy another one of the mediocre, overpriced OEM tires.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 03-17-2016 at 10:45 AM.