3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What will 2018 Fit (mid-model change) be like?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 08:25 AM
5 Year Member
What will 2018 Fit (mid-model change) be like?

I believe that one year from now, Honda will have unveiled the mid-model change (MMC) for the current Honda Fit.

Here's what I think Honda will do with the MMC:

1. Slightly redesigned nose and taillights.
2. Slightly redesigned front dash, with car stereo on the EX and EX-L models now getting Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility.
3. Changes in the power steering to improve "road feel."
4. Revisions to the front and rear suspension to improve handling and ride quality.
5. Most significant of all, a possible replacement of the L15B 1.5-liter engine with a new 1.0-liter I-3 turbocharged engine, probably with a different turbo design than was shown last year to improve low RPM performance.

Comments?

Old 08-19-2016, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
1.-very likely.
2.-possible
3.-5.-not going to happen. Honda doesn't consider steering "feel" or "lack of power" to be issues that need "correcting" unless they begin to see these "issues" affecting sales.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
Agreed.

The GK already has a new, more powerful engine relative to the GE; they won't toss it after three years.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:35 PM
Some of the updates you mentioned seem likely, especially the updated infotainment system. I doubt we'll see a turbo, although I would welcome it.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
The reason why I mention the 1.0-liter I-3 turbo engine--which was rated at circa 125 bhp at the time journalists were allowed to try it on a modified European Honda Civic hatchback back in the fall of 2015--is that Honda, like all automakers, are interested in going to smaller-displacement turbocharged engines as a means to improve fuel economy. That's why Honda developed the 1.5-liter I-4 turbocharged engine for the Civic, and why Porsche switched to a turbocharged flat-four engine on the latest Boxster and Cayman models.

It's possible that by the fall of 2017 (when the MMC Fit arrives), Honda would have re-engineered the this new engine to run smoother throughout its rev range and changed the turbo design for faster throttle response. Being only a 1.0-liter I-3, it may mean a potentially lighter engine than the naturally-aspirated L15B I-4, which means possibly much better fuel economy, too.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by MtViewGuy188
The reason why I mention the 1.0-liter I-3 turbo engine--which was rated at circa 125 bhp at the time journalists were allowed to try it on a modified European Honda Civic hatchback back in the fall of 2015--is that Honda, like all automakers, are interested in going to smaller-displacement turbocharged engines as a means to improve fuel economy. That's why Honda developed the 1.5-liter I-4 turbocharged engine for the Civic, and why Porsche switched to a turbocharged flat-four engine on the latest Boxster and Cayman models.

It's possible that by the fall of 2017 (when the MMC Fit arrives), Honda would have re-engineered the this new engine to run smoother throughout its rev range and changed the turbo design for faster throttle response. Being only a 1.0-liter I-3, it may mean a potentially lighter engine than the naturally-aspirated L15B I-4, which means possibly much better fuel economy, too.
Undoubtedly, turbocharged engines are the trend.

Old 08-20-2016, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MyFirstHonda
Undoubtedly, turbocharged engines are the trend.
As is touchscreen BS and the trend towards autonomy....count me out, I'll keep my '15 LX 6 spd MT as long as feasable....

Old 08-20-2016, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member

MMCs don't usually employee major engineering changes like turbocharging and 3 cylinder engines. Tweaks and trim, paint colors, wheel designs, yes. Revolutions, no.

You want new technology? Try the Clarity. Not exactly new, but newly available, and beta tested by Jamie Lee Curtis.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
While I agree that technically Honda MMC's usually don't have significant drivetrain changes in the past, remember look at what happened with the ninth-generation Civic. The original 2012 model year car was NOT well-liked, and Honda made significant changes with suspension tuning, front dash design changes, and even a (more or less) completely new drivetrain with the highly-modified Earth Dreams Technology R18 variant with CVT automatic starting the 2014 model year.

As such, it's not far-fetched the 2018 Honda Fit is being seriously considered for the 1.0-liter I-3 turbocharged engine, particularly if Honda can make it run smoothly through its rev range and put in a better turbocharger design for improved throttle response.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
While I agree that technically Honda MMC's usually don't have significant drivetrain changes in the past, remember look at what happened with the ninth-generation Civic. The original 2012 model year car was NOT well-liked, and Honda made significant changes with suspension tuning, front dash design changes, and even a (more or less) completely new drivetrain with the highly-modified Earth Dreams Technology R18 variant with CVT automatic starting the 2014 model year.

As such, it's not far-fetched the 2018 Honda Fit is being seriously considered for the 1.0-liter I-3 turbocharged engine, particularly if Honda can make it run smoothly through its rev range and put in a better turbocharger design for improved throttle response.
You're right about the 2012 Civic not being well liked for many reasons and causing many significant changes ahead of schedule. But where is the rationale for such changes in the 3rd generation Fit. Outside of some anal retentive fan boys on the early Mexican production (prior to Nov. 2014), where has there been the rejection of Fit/Jazz around the world?

I expect an MMC in 2018 and maybe a 4th Gen. in 2020, at which point I'll be 80 and such a change will be moot AFAIC.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
There is no reason whatsoever to touch the engine. If they do anything at all with the power train it might be to fix that manual transmission 6th speed issue but even that's doubtful. As KentFinn said "Tweaks and trim, paint colors, wheel designs, yes. Revolutions, no.". More sound deadening would be nice to see but because of cost is questionable.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
There is no reason whatsoever to touch the engine. If they do anything at all with the power train it might be to fix that manual transmission 6th speed issue but even that's doubtful. As KentFinn said "Tweaks and trim, paint colors, wheel designs, yes. Revolutions, no.". More sound deadening would be nice to see but because of cost is questionable.
Remember when Chevy (and most other GM cars) made radical changes 1957 (subtle but noticeable changes from 1955-56) to the 1958 tank-like over chromed butt uglies? Another change 1959, were not exactly pretty, but an improvement.

From outside the country, Honda noticed that change for change sake was not a good thing. Planned obsolesce wastes time, money and loses customers eventually.