3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
Bought our '15 used with a little over 40,00 miles on it, previous owner had recently replaced whatever oem tire were on it with Cooper CS3's ....am satisfied with them, for now, will go a little fatter a few years down the road when these wear out. But, yeah, in my lifetime experience, oem tires are never anywhere near great on a more entry level car. Back in the day, 20,000 miles was a good time to replace.....so I guess crappy oem tires are "better than they used to be" Worst oem tires I've had the displeasure to drive on were the Goodyear Integrity's (iirc...Goodyear something, am sure it was Integrity, they were the stock Goodyears on our '05 Corolla) Marginal dry performance, terrible in the rain, stay-at-home in the snow.....just shitty tires. IMHO, of course

Old 09-16-2016, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by fujisawa
It's discouraging that over half the people on the thread are running their tires down to the wear bars or "completely flat", don't you think? Sure, OEM tires are cheap on subcompacts ... makes sense, right?

Don't be a dumb, replace your tires when they get low. The tires are the only bit that contacts the ground, so they're pretty key to anything you want the car to do. And a set of decent tires is way below a $500 insurance deductible. To say nothing of your safety ... or the person you hit going sideways ...
The wear bars are there for a reason, to show when the grooves are no longer deep enough to clear water in the rain.

Did you know that worn tires have better traction than new tires? Racers in "street tire" classes routinely shave most of the tread rubber off of their tires to get the last bit of grip.

If you live in a very rainy place it might make some sense to replace the tires before they are down to 1/16" Here in the southwest it makes no sense at all and indeed will slightly reduce the level of safety.

Replacements? I like Goodyear FuelMax. Not a tire for Ricky Racer, but otherwise quiet, long wearing, and low rolling resistance.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Shadow Smith
What's the common replacement tire that may not be as loud?
Consumer Reports rates the Michelin Defender in the all season tire category as the tire with the least noise. It is also rated for 90,000 miles. When the Firestones on my 2016 LX wear out these will be what I select as replacements. They also had the highest overall rating out of the 15 tires in this category that they tested. The other tire they liked was the Pirelli P4 Four Seasons Plus. It is rated for 100,000 miles but not quite as good for noise.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wdoney
Consumer Reports rates the Michelin Defender in the all season tire category as the tire with the least noise. It is also rated for 90,000 miles. When the Firestones on my 2016 LX wear out these will be what I select as replacements. They also had the highest overall rating out of the 15 tires in this category that they tested. The other tire they liked was the Pirelli P4 Four Seasons Plus. It is rated for 100,000 miles but not quite as good for noise.
Almost anything decent is not as noisy as the OEM tires.

And you truly believe that the tires will last 90k miles?

Here are some reviews on people who actually experienced having the tires on their cars. Michelin Defender

Old 09-16-2016, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by fibrepunk
Almost anything decent is not as noisy as the OEM tires.

And you truly believe that the tires will last 90k miles?

Here are some reviews on people who actually experienced having the tires on their cars. Michelin*Defender
Well one reviewer got 98,000 miles on them so I guess 90,000 is possible. Tire life is not a constant. It varies based on the car they are on, how it is driven, the road temperatures and type of road surface. Everyone on this forum could put the same tires on their Fit and they would all get different results. That's one reason for reading reviews by Consumers Reports as they review all the tires under the same conditions.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by Wdoney
All depends on your driving.

On my two Corollas, the Defenders only delivered about 40 K in almost total city use.

The Defenders have great grip and low noise, but the 90 K advertised life really depends on your driving pattern.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:29 AM
5 Year Member
In my area, with all the construction and pot holes you'd never see 90k on a set of tires.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
Yep...
I think if you get 30,000-35,000 miles on whatever set of OEM tires you've done pretty well.

That's about as well as I've done with any new vehicle I've owned.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member
Yokohama Avid's have given me quiet, no hydroplaning and good life. If you expect 60-80,000 miles go elsewhere. Rock hard long lasting tires may be the cheapest in the long run, but no fun driving in the wet or snow.

The OE Dunlops had such poor grip in the wet, I got rid of them after one year with very little wear. I'll put them back on when I sell the car.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:41 AM
On my 2010 Fit Sport I couldn't wait to wear out the Dunlops. Replaced them around 30k with the Yokohamas and was very happy for the next 50k miles. Just sold the car yesterday and the tires looked fine.

I've driven my 2016 EX only the distance home from the dealership but some of that was highway driving. Had no opinion on the tires so I guess I can live with them. I'm getting a real spare so I'll be including 5 tires in the rotation. With the new type of TPMS that's easier to do vs. the prior Fit.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
With my GD3, I had close to 80K on my Michelin Defenders and they were still going strong...until my GD3 got totaled by a red light runner at high speed earlier this year. Yes, they can go 90K. I rotated them regularly to get them to last that long.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:08 PM
My 2015 came with Firestones, still had tread on them when I replaced them at 47.5k miles. I rotate every 8k to get max life. I am running on Yokohamas now, which should get me at least 60k or more.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:55 AM
5 Year Member
We drove our factory 'stones to 36000 and they should have been replaced
at 30000. 'Stones are never a good choice.

Replaced them with Kumhos WOW it was like we beefed up the suspension.
The FIT rides and handles much much better. I am too old and deaf to speak
about noise. The Kumhos may have caused a decrease in MPG though. No
more than 2MPG and the better handling is worth that.

Michelin Defenders on our 03 Civic. Great tire worth every penny.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:20 AM
5 Year Member
I replaced the OEM Firestone tires at about 16,000 miles, since one tire was completely worn out due to a misaligned rear axle from the factory. I wasn't about to buy another Firestone tire to replace it, so I replaced all four with Cooper CS3s. Very happy with the Cooper tires.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:56 AM
On my 2010 Fit Sport I hated the stock Dunlops. I was thrilled when they wore out because I replaced them with Yokohama Avid Ascends. Better handling, quieter (I think) and mileage went up by 3%. And they lasted a lot longer. Put about 50k on them and they still looked great when I sold the car.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
I ended up getting Falken Ziex at a slightly different offset and they look way better and feel amazing. Took the car through the canyon and the difference is awesome.

Thanks for everyone's input. I had a civic before and I didn't have to change the tires until 55k, which is why I was so surprised. That's the first new car I had that I hadn't modified prior to driving that I could compare it with.

But I also live in the high desert and have no clear understanding of what rain is or wet road are, so having bald tires also wasn't a huge deal (they didn't have any holes), they were just loud as all nonsense.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member
Love Talking Tires....Recent Research/Experience

My 2015 FIT Firestones have 25K on them and could probably go another 10K BUT, they keep spinning sideways on acceleration from a wet street stop! It's disconcerting.

On the plus side, I just got back from a 2000 mile R/T 1 week haul and back from LA to Denver via Utah and the famous I-70 11,000 foot elevation climbs--up and down. On the way back, I drove non-stop in the FIT from Denver to Las Vegas only stopping for fuel including 3 hours of torrential downpours on I-70. The Firestones did not fail--in fact, they never failed since new, even on the poor Los Angeles potholed streets. They held 80 MPH Utah Speed Limit straight without my hands on the wheel.

So I have to give Firestone some credit there. Coyotes would have got me if they punctured in those parts. (100+ miles between exits, limited cell phone reception.)

If you go with 205 50 R16 on the replacement--lot's of options I was weighing:

1.) BF Goodrich has an inexpensive G-Force Comp 2 All Season <$85.00
2.) Pirelli has a P7 Cinturato All Season Plus >110.00
3.) Michelin has the Premier All Season >$120.00 (Also available in the OEM 185 size)
4.) Michelin has a Pilot Sport All Season >$130

ANYONE have any input on these tires for the FIT?

I did read in everyones posts here that the following have been purchased for the 3rd gen FIT:

1.) Falken Ziex
2.) Falken Pro 4G
3.) Cooper CS3
4.) Someone mentioned a Yokohama but with no model.
5.) Someone mentioned Michelin Defender, but not sure there is a fitment for the FIT.

ANYONE that has these tires want to give an updated review since you had them? Would you still recommend? How have they changed the FIT ride over the Firestones?

Thank you for taking the time.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:25 AM
5 Year Member
I'm just over 19,000 and my factory Bridgestones are pretty close to shot. All are between 2/32 and 3/32.

I fully expect by spring, it'll be time.

Normally, I'd replace them now before winter but I've decided to get the Civic hatch in the spring so I'm going to hold out. No point in dumping more money into the Fit...

Old 11-06-2016, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
in the spring we will replacing ours. 31k miles and they were done thousands of miles ago.

I will agree with others saying they suck in the wet. Glad I never had to try them in the snow. Dedicated snow tires/wheels FTW.

Spring time = swift springs and some nice summer tires. Will go with my go to S.Drvies.