3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Disable the Daytime Running Lights

Old 12-05-2016, 05:14 PM
There are several large trucking companies that now hard wire the headlights to turn on if the truck is not in neutral. One of the big ones simply did it because they thought it would help safety with almost no dat ago back it up, their rate of crossing accidents dropped 90% the first year. So now its just standard with many companies..

The bulbs for the older GMM rigs are 2x12 watts.. the LED's are 2x2 watts.. (power draw not output light level) 12 watts=.016 horsepower.. Probably about the same impact as a dirty car.. LOL

I like them but I wish they would put a simple easy switch in to turn them off, because sometimes I want to park or work on my car without any lights on..

Old 12-05-2016, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx View Post
There are several large trucking companies that now hard wire the headlights to turn on if the truck is not in neutral. One of the big ones simply did it because they thought it would help safety with almost no dat ago back it up, their rate of crossing accidents dropped 90% the first year. So now its just standard with many companies..

The bulbs for the older GMM rigs are 2x12 watts.. the LED's are 2x2 watts.. (power draw not output light level) 12 watts=.016 horsepower.. Probably about the same impact as a dirty car.. LOL

I like them but I wish they would put a simple easy switch in to turn them off, because sometimes I want to park or work on my car without any lights on..
You could wrap a string around the #25 fuse (red circled) for quick release.

Last edited by wasserball; 12-05-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:31 AM
The owner's manual lists 2 fuses for the daytime running lights. 7.5 amp fuse (fuse #17) in engine compartment box A (near the brake fluid reservoir) and 7.5 amp fuse (fuse #25) in the cabin box A (the non-covered box behind the instrument panel). It says the fuse puller is located on the "back of the engine compartment fuse box cover" but doesn't say which box. OK I found it in box A. However the space in engine compartment box A, space 17, is empty. I wonder if the engine compartment DRL fuse is for an non-US model Fit or Jazz, that has LED headlights that are lens-focused (projector beams), and separate lamps for the DRL's, and if the fuse in the cabin box A, are for models with DRL's that work by sending lower voltage to the 12v halogen headlights that are reflector-focused.

Last edited by nomenclator; 10-12-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:59 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
lol .. wut?

Old 07-14-2018, 01:38 PM
Cars

made sense to me.

Old 07-14-2018, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by siguy View Post
One thing no one has mentioned is that it is harder in daylight to see a car that is painted black or gray or any color that "blends in" with the road. My Fit is gray so I'm glad that I have day time lights. I have had several occasions that I was going to make a turn and saw nothing, and suddenly there is a car with dark paint. Those cars didn't have day time lights, thus harder to see. You'd think that in daylight you'd see those cars, but...

A zillion years ago a car magazine (I think Car & Driver) reviewed a Nissan that was gray- they said for some reason people kept cutting it off. Then I bought a gray car and noticed the same thing. I agree- it blends into the road and is less noticeable.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
nnnn, i think its the shape of the GK. people perceive dese cars as slow and want dem out of their way. mine is white and people cut me off all da time..or speed up when i want to change lanes. and its not like im driving slow either, just following traffic. fully disrespected. without power cant really dig into the lane next to me either..

Old 07-14-2018, 02:05 PM
I went from a gray Infiniti G-20 to a blue 2010 Fit and the cutting off went way down.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
nnnn, i think its the shape of the GK. people perceive dese cars as slow and want dem out of their way. mine is white and people cut me off all da time..or speed up when i want to change lanes. and its not like im driving slow either, just following traffic. fully disrespected. without power cant really dig into the lane next to me either..
I agree with this. I be cruising 75-80 and people still want to go around me.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Carbuff2 View Post
I read something back in the '90s, that the GM DRLs took half a HP to run.

And, because of that, GM got the OK to do EPA gas mileage ratings WITH THE DRLs OFF.

It's not as much as an issue these days with LED DRLs.
Energy being equal, and assuming 55w headlamp bulbs being run at half-power, alternator and battery in good shape, fortunately the parasitic power loss at the crankshaft would be .07 hp. Or seven one-hundredths of a HP, less than the mechanical tolerance to even measure it, much less have any effect.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hairymonkey019 View Post
I agree with this. I be cruising 75-80 and people still want to go around me.
yah, yesterday i took the GK out to run an errand in da pm and sure enough, some faker in a charger behind me passed me only to cut me off while i was going 50 in a 45mph with everyone else.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:42 PM
Here in the dark and rainy canadian north-west DRLs are both a blessing and a curse.
They help during poor visibility conditions (which is most of the time) but at the same time they confuse many drivers at night, as they see a faint glow ahead of their car and drive in the dark without turning their actual driving lights on...
I see dozens of cars at dawn/dusk/night with no taillights... I wish automatic driving lights were mandatory just as DRLs are.