3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

ECU Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 08:14 PM
ECU Problem?

Today when I started up to go to lunch, the following warning lights came on: tire pressure, traction control, VSC, engine warning, power steering. The temperature outside has been below zero for the last week, but the car has been running fine. No prior problems at all. Car ran fine with all those lights on. I took it to my local shop and they "reset" the ECU. All the lights are now off and the car continues to run fine. I'm debating about whether to take it in to the dealer and get the ECU replaced as I have been told that the warranty on these units is 80,000 miles. What do you guys think?
Nedpoins
2015 EX w/CVT

Old 01-07-2017, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
take it in to the dealer and get the ECU replaced
Your dealer will not replace the PCM (ecu) under the warranty just because you walk in saying you want one.

There's about a 0.02% chance that would fix anything anyway.

Could have been something as minor as battery voltage dipped a little too low during cranking because someone was talking on the phone or playing the radio too long with the key on.

Instead of your local shop doing some "reset", all fault codes should have been retrieved and documented from each of the many systems in the car---if they could access the systems.

Then we might have some definitive evidence as to why all those idiot lights came on, and can decide what to do next.

If your car is within the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty, I think you should have taken it to the dealer, at the very least there would be some documentation.

IMO, very few independent shops are going to have equipment that can access all of the computer systems on the cars these days, or at least this new.
Engine and trans? Pretty standard so probably.
ABS? Maybe.
Key fobs, EPS, immobilizer, SRS, gauges, body controllers, pushbutton start, and the rest? Doubt it.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
Did it happened during Christmas holiday? OK, sarcasm aside. The mechanic could have printed out all issues from the ECU, if any.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:38 PM
The car is just out of bumper-to-bumper warranty with 36500, so that's why I took it to the local shop. They said they ran a diagnostic and everything looked fine. Whether the reset solved anything, I don't know. The lights are off now, but I still think I'll take in in to the dealer and tell them what happened.
Nedpoins

Old 01-07-2017, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
but I still think I'll take in in to the dealer and tell them what happened
36,500 is still real close, if you've been a good and regular customer at the dealer they might do a favor but they certainly are not obligated to do so.

Out of warranty---because they will normally charge a lot of money just to drive through their doors, I wouldn't bother unless or until the problem happens again. I'd want to make sure there's a problem for them to find.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:54 PM
Short Block Replacement

I took my car into the dealer and they ran a diagnostic. This revealed a problem with cylinder #1 leaking coolant into the chamber and the chamber leaking combustion into the coolant. After removing the head, it was determined that he top of the block was not machine finished at all and that there was a scratch or crack all the way across the top of the block that was allowing the leakage and causing the problem. The short block was replaced with under warranty and I pick the car up yesterday. So far, it's running fine. As I said it was covered under warranty; the cost for the factory was just under $7,000 all in.

This episode was quite a surprise, to say the least. The car ran great up until 2 weeks ago.
Nedpoins
2015 EX
Black Crystal Pearl

Old 01-29-2017, 06:47 PM
That is very concerning to hear. Glad something was worked out.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ezone
36,500 is still real close, if you've been a good and regular customer at the dealer they might do a favor but they certainly are not obligated to do so.

Out of warranty---because they will normally charge a lot of money just to drive through their doors, I wouldn't bother unless or until the problem happens again. I'd want to make sure there's a problem for them to find.
Do you know if Honda will secretly give consideration if the mileage is slightly out of 3 yr/36K miles warranty, and that they will cover the repair? I can't imagine the dealer is willing to cover the cost or repairs if the car is out of warranty.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
Do you know if Honda will secretly give consideration if the mileage is slightly out of 3 yr/36K miles warranty, and that they will cover the repair? I can't imagine the dealer is willing to cover the cost or repairs if the car is out of warranty.
The block was covered by the 5/60 powertrain warranty.

Assuming the repair is correct and done well, OP need to get the name of the smart person who figured this out and ask for that person by name whenever you have real problems.

Last edited by ezone; 01-31-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:36 PM
You are right and that's why it was covered. And yes, I have the name of the guy that made the diagnosis.
Originally Posted by ezone
Your block is covered by the 5/60 powertrain warranty.

Assuming the repair is correct and done well, you need to get the name of the smart person who figured this out and ask for that person by name whenever you have real problems.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Nedpoins
I took my car into the dealer and they ran a diagnostic. This revealed a problem with cylinder #1 leaking coolant into the chamber and the chamber leaking combustion into the coolant. After removing the head, it was determined that he top of the block was not machine finished at all and that there was a scratch or crack all the way across the top of the block that was allowing the leakage and causing the problem. The short block was replaced with under warranty and I pick the car up yesterday. So far, it's running fine. As I said it was covered under warranty; the cost for the factory was just under $7,000 all in.

This episode was quite a surprise, to say the least. The car ran great up until 2 weeks ago.
Nedpoins
2015 EX
Black Crystal Pearl

SO awesome ot hear that factory stepped up and took care of it.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Westie
SO awesome ot hear that factory stepped up and took care of it.
I think it's most awesome that a rookie mechanic didn't just throw a coil at it (because they all need coils, amiright?) and ship it out the door at the owners expense.

Someone with brains had to take some time to figure out the real problem (from the repair description it sounded like it would have coolant entering a cylinder causing a miss upon startup) and once they dive into the engine and prove the fault...... the 5/60 powertrain warranty covers the internal engine repair ---no problem.

As a dealer tech who takes pride in what I do, I'm certainly happy to hear this experience turned out well for the cars owner.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
I guess you didnt notice the coolant level dropped (if it did?) Did you EVER add any coolant ? Looking back...was it using it for a while ?

Old 01-31-2017, 07:24 AM
I only noticed coolant missing after the warning lights all went on about 2 weeks ago. Prior to that, no problems at all really with anything.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
I'm glad you got it fixed. Cross that shop off the list that told you everything was fine after running a diagnostic... ahaha

Old 01-31-2017, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
You're such a cynic, but that's your right. I tend to be an optimist, easier on the blood pressure.

Old 01-31-2017, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
You're such a cynic, but that's your right. I tend to be an optimist, easier on the blood pressure.
Sorry you found something wrong with that. Just a thought if Honda would give consideration even though it's out of warranty slightly. Now, how is that being cynical? I was hoping that is the case. How is that not being optimistic? What are you thinking anyway? What does that have to do with blood pressure?

Old 01-31-2017, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
even though it's out of warranty slightly.
It was out of bumper-to-bumper warranty, but not out of powertrain warranty.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry you found something wrong with that. Just a thought if Honda would give consideration even though it's out of warranty slightly. Now, how is that being cynical? I was hoping that is the case. How is that not being optimistic? What are you thinking anyway? What does that have to do with blood pressure?
Sorry, must have read it the wrong way. But you tend to be down on dealership service. Some are good, some are bad, most tend to be in the middle. That goes for mechanics too.

Had an old Buick Century that broke down in Northern Georgia on a Sunday. Only place open was a Pep Boys and it was near a by the hour flea trap motel. The PB order the part needed but the part wasn't in stock, ordered from supplier. Came on Monday, wouldn't fit. Ordered from different supplier, That one wouldn't fit, according to the 2nd mechanic at PB. Third ordered from yet another supplier. Same results. Tuesday, third mechanic, old and grizzled, looked at the part ... said it would fit, he had done the replacement dozens of times, GM had changed the part number. PB gave me a small discount for the delay. Nonetheless, Pep Boys is on my S List.