3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Best OBD device/app for the Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 06:15 PM
Best OBD device/app for the Fit?

I'm interested in using something like the Dash app to get a look at the data for the car. They have a few different apple-compatible devices listed on their website (and there are a bunch more on the market).

Any recommendations? Also open to something other than the Dash app that performs a similar function.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
I have an UltraGauge Blue for android ... versatile and very customizable. A lot of people use it to micromanage their MPG; I got it more to give me an idea of what my car does: torque, brake distance, acceleration, etc. At one point I was obsessively monitoring coolant temp because Honda in its infinite wisdom neglected to put a temp gauge in the cluster and I wanted to see how hot it gets.

There are some threads about this if you look back a bit. IIRC ScanGauge was a popular choice.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by amongmany
I'm interested in using something like the Dash app to get a look at the data for the car. They have a few different apple-compatible devices listed on their website (and there are a bunch more on the market).

Any recommendations? Also open to something other than the Dash app that performs a similar function.
I've used the ScanGa uge II and it does have live readings
Another App I am using with Iphone is Go Point Technologies. I am not promoting it, just saying that it has live fuel trims, O2 voltages, MAF values, catalytic converter temperatures and a bunch more. I like to see what the short and long term fuel trims are reading and compare to the 02 voltages, which gives you a understanding of how the ECM is adjusting. Good to know the norms, so when you have an issue, you can get a better understanding if it is a vacuum leak, injector problem, etc before the ECM throws a code. My reasoning it to avoid having catalytic converter failure that I could have avoided.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
amongmany :

If you have an Android phone try TORQUE from google play. Uses cheap adapter

James

Old 02-13-2017, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by James Butler
amongmany :

If you have an Android phone try TORQUE from google play. Uses cheap adapter

James

I highly recommend this as well! Easy to use, avoid the cheap ebay blue colored adapters, they are spotty at working, the one I use is BAFX. About 25 dollars.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member
I have used a couple and can offer my two cents. I originally bought an Ultra-Gage EM Plus and it worked great. You can set it up to monitor any engine related data, and even display your speed. I then decided to try the obd2 wifi route so I could display Dash Command from my iPhone onto my pioneer 4000NEX head unit. I use a OBDLink MX WiFI dongle to connect it and it works, but is flawed. It could just be mine (being first gen wifi model), but it loses connection to my iPhone CONSTANTLY! When it is connected, it works amazingly well and everything is displayed on my touchscreen head unit. It does have an "auto reconnect" function which keeps it going, but I read it's more on apples side of things that causes connection drops. If you have an android, get the Bluetooth dongle. Being that I am an iPhone sheep, I had to get the wifi one because it's the only one which currently works with crapple.. I hope that was informative 😬

Old 02-14-2017, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
The bluetooth OBDII units seem to be the best bang for the buck, work with anything.

I have a Bosche one I bought on sale at Oreillys that talks to an app on my iphone and give most of the info I care about and it can reset codes.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
The bluetooth OBDII units seem to be the best bang for the buck, work with anything.

I have a Bosche one I bought on sale at Oreillys that talks to an app on my iphone and give most of the info I care about and it can reset codes.
Whhaaaaaat?! I thought apple wouldn't work with Bluetooth dongles. I guess that has changed!!! If that's the case I would definitely recommend going Bluetooth over wifi! (Unless the connection stability has been fixed on revised wifi models)

When I purchased my OBDLink MX WiFi, I was told that it was the only obd2 interface that could communicate with iPhones (at that time).

Old 02-16-2017, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Corsair
I highly recommend this as well! Easy to use, avoid the cheap ebay blue colored adapters, they are spotty at working, the one I use is BAFX. About 25 dollars.
Yeah I got burned on one of those a few years ago ... worked for a few weeks then just stopped.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JackMan
Whhaaaaaat?! I thought apple wouldn't work with Bluetooth dongles. I guess that has changed!!! If that's the case I would definitely recommend going Bluetooth over wifi! (Unless the connection stability has been fixed on revised wifi models)

When I purchased my OBDLink MX WiFi, I was told that it was the only obd2 interface that could communicate with iPhones (at that time).
Yep you download the bosche app that goes with it off the apple store..

Old 02-19-2017, 05:03 AM
If it's anything like the CR-V it'll use CANBUS so unless you have the magic Honda codes, you won't get anything like the data you think you'll get on a OBD II

Old 02-20-2017, 04:01 AM
5 Year Member
Yea for the record I have a 07 fit so its the early OBDII not the newer version..

Old 09-12-2017, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
Of course I'd like to have a product that reads the air bag and ABS codes, and transmission codes, but for now i'm using an inexpensive little ELM327 v2.1 (supposedly) bluetooth scanner (Thing costs less than $10) with a windows 7 laptop and the included ScanMaster software. After I bought it i learned that probably both the scanner embedded elm327 software and the scanmaster software have probably been pirated. It is working well though. I learned that the blue water temperature light goes off at about 130 deg F, and that the water temp is normally maintained at about 185 deg.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:25 PM
sjd
5 Year Member
I just bought a Tactrix Openport 2.0 for my MX-5 as I have the ECU reflashed in that car and was looking for a way to play with the ECU even further.

It's not really the right product if you're just looking to read data or codes though. Also vehicle support relies on the open source community.

Tactrix

Old 09-16-2017, 07:35 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
as long as it can log data like AFR and u can see it later it is good. real-time passive obd meters are honestly pretty useless.. i mean it's fun at first but after a while..zzzz u dont even look at it.

if it can clear dtc's thats cool...but pretty much any basic cheepo obd2 scanner can do that.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:15 AM
I use the first gen Automatic. It’s not perfect but I use it as a makeshift OnStar of sorts. Also it decodes CELs but I am not sure if it clears them. I don’t need it for mpg etc.

Originally Posted by kenchan
as long as it can log data like AFR and u can see it later it is good. real-time passive obd meters are honestly pretty useless.. i mean it's fun at first but after a while..zzzz u dont even look at it.

if it can clear dtc's thats cool...but pretty much any basic cheepo obd2 scanner can do that.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:07 PM
I have an iPhone but I use an old Android phone that does not have cell service as an OBD guage. I posted a bunch of pictures in this thread.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/othe...tried-one.html

Now I use an OBD splitter to plug in an Automatic Gen 2 and my auto insurance tracker. Both the Automatic and my auto insurance shows me a dashboard of my driving stats but the Automatic interface is way nicer. Also Automatic has an iPhone app. The auto insurance tracker gives me a discount.