3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Solution for Splash Pan/Shield

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hasdrubal
At least my wife's CX-5 has a small access hatch for the oil filter, wish Honda had thought that far ahead.
Sounds like a DIY with a box cutter and duct tape. : )

Old 10-17-2017, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member
Honestly I think it's inattentive techs that are at fault if the splashshield comes down. The only time I lost a screw was after getting the first free oil change done by the dealership. Since then I've done the oil changes myself and I haven't had an issue. I've even re-used the plastic push-pins 3 times and they've held up. You just have to ensure the "legs" enter in equally, otherwise you can bend them up.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
Duct tape probably won't hold up to the dust and water too well, but now you have me thinking. I've got a bending brake and some Lexan sitting around, might not be too hard to make an access panel with a z bend flange to hold it in, and another speed screw for retention. I'll add it to the project list.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:45 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i think he was just kidding about the duct tape.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hasdrubal
Sealing the bottom of the engine bay can reduce turbulence under the car, and thereby reduce drag and wind noise. I don't know how much you'd notice the noise, or the change in fuel economy from the drag, but when I was on the NSX forum there were people spending quite a bit of money for undertray panels from the Type R.

Probably doesn't make such a difference at freeway cruising speed compared to autobahn speed, but I've taken enough of a hit in economy with my tire choice that I'm going to keep mine on. At least my wife's CX-5 has a small access hatch for the oil filter, wish Honda had thought that far ahead.
I should consider attaching an aftermarket nose cone in front. It won't look pretty, but it will definitely reduce air drag. I have been getting 45-46 mpg at 62 mph without any special considerations, and that's with the under cover off. Do you think I would get 47 mpg if I had left it on?

Old 10-17-2017, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
Congratulations, you're getting better economy than I am. A lot of tone doesn't come across so well in text, so I don't know if you're implying that I'm an idiot for pointing out that the underbody shape can reduce drag, or just making a friendly joke about the nose cone. I hope it's the second one, but in case it's the first one, I feel I should point out how I already said it probably doesn't make such a difference at freeway speed.

Part of the reason the Fit and other similar shaped cars get good economy is that the engineers put a lot of effort into reducing drag. Whether it be minimizing the size of the radiator opening, smoothing the roof transition to reduce flow separation, or yes, even putting a plastic tray under the engine. If you got 47mpg by putting it back on, would you do it?

If you want to see some amusing nose cone shapes though, do a google image search for "dustbin fairing."

Edit- as for tone not coming across so well, I'm not trying to start a fight. I think I actually would sound like an idiot if I was trying to tell people they _had_ to put the cover back on, or that their economy would be ruined if they didn't.

Last edited by hasdrubal; 10-17-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
wasserball is like dat all the time. don't take it personal he's the official arsehole of fit freak.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
i think he was just kidding about the duct tape.
And the box cutter. : )

It would be possible to make a little door, but it would need good hinges and a good locking mechanism. Draining the oil with the shield in place would be interesting. : )

Old 10-17-2017, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
I use a vacuum oil removal pump through the dipstick tube, so the only reason to go under the car is for the filter. Only thing I miss about having a Jetta, the oil filter was in a metal housing at the top of the engine bay.

This has some potential, but might be a while before I actually try and do anything about it.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Honestly I think it's inattentive techs that are at fault if the splashshield comes down. The only time I lost a screw was after getting the first free oil change done by the dealership. Since then I've done the oil changes myself and I haven't had an issue. I've even re-used the plastic push-pins 3 times and they've held up. You just have to ensure the "legs" enter in equally, otherwise you can bend them up.
I have no doubt whatsoever that the fault lies with inattentive techs. And I've seen how they neglected to place some the screws into the captive nuts, and for the screws that went into the captive nuts, they neglected to tighten them down sufficiently. Every single screw was loose.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15

It would be possible to make a little door, but it would need good hinges and a good locking mechanism. Draining the oil with the shield in place would be interesting. : )
That's how the Kia Soul is configured. There is a little door in the splash shield to access the plug and the filter, so you don't have to remove the shield.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15

yah, you know on my previous cars aftermarket shops sold these metal shrouds with little hatches for the plug and filter, but most people ended up removing it anyway cause the opening was too small.

id just remove the shroud each time cause it gives good visibility, plus if one wants to really clean the underside of the engine bay, that cover needs to come off.

autowash undercarriage wash does little to NOTHING as i found after seeing how crusted with salt the GK's engine bay bottom was after winter.