3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Paint freely peeling off?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
I got my letter in the mail today notifying me that Honda has extended my paint warranty. So far I haven’t had any peeling paint (fingers crossed).

Old 08-10-2019, 08:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I got my letter in the mail today notifying me that Honda has extended my paint warranty. So far I haven’t had any peeling paint (fingers crossed).
Yup got mine yesterday too.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
I'm impressed that in post 31, the chipped away areas look like a squirrel and a badger to me.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Yup got mine yesterday too.
Yesterday I got a separate notice for the used 2013 Odyssey I bought back in March. The Ody does have a part that looks suspect, so going to take that in on Monday when I get the transmission fluid changed out. The Ody one mentions only the roof and tailgate, but the Fit one seems to cover the whole vehicle. White wasn't my first choice on either, but it's what was on the lot. I guess I'll be avoiding white hondas in the future...

Last edited by 2Rismo2; 08-13-2019 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
I guess I'll be avoiding white hondas in the future...
Actually it might be wise to avoid white from any manufacturer. White seems to be more vulnerable to UV damage than other colors and yes Honda put too thin a coat on but who's to say other manufacturers won't make the same mistake.

Old 08-19-2019, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
Tried to take my Odyssey into the Odyssey body shop, but unfortunately the manager was not in for a family emergency. I left my contact info and will follow up on it.

So far nothing on the Fit, but I will definitely be keeping my eye on it.

Also found this video while searching. I just happen to be the lucky guy with two white hondas haha:

Old 08-19-2019, 01:10 PM
2Rismo2 - have you already seen this thread?

https://www.odyclub.com/threads/pain...f-2014.292585/

Old 08-19-2019, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by marmaladedad
2Rismo2 - have you already seen this thread?

https://www.odyclub.com/threads/pain...f-2014.292585/
Yes I have. So I have my letter in hand from Honda that my vehicle is covered in the 19-055 Service Bulletin. It mentions coverage on the roof and hatch, but one of my spots are on the sliding door. I'm sure I'm going to get pushback, and I'll have to push to get that repaired. The 7 year extension is from the when it was first sold. Mine was sold 6/2013 so I should be covered till 2/2020. I still have time, but the longer I wait, the worse the problem will be. I guess I'm lucky that even though I just recently bought this van, this SB came out and I'm still covered.

If I don't get a call back from the Honda body shop, by the end of the week I'll call them to set up an appointment.

Old 08-19-2019, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
For the Fit, this is the Service Bulletin 19-064

Old 08-20-2019, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
non-OEM are not acceptable for tall drivers

Originally Posted by SWVAFit
Why does an OEM windshield matter? I’ve gone through a few due to rocks and vandalism and didn’t think it was that big of a deal.
For tall drivers (like me), it's a big deal. I look out at the road through the top 2-3" of windshield, right where the tinted band is. Safelite brings out windshields with a turquoise tinted band along the top, and their tech told me that's all they stock now. I had to go to local shop, who ignored my directions and also put in the tinted band, non-OEM windshield first time in. I brought it back the next day when I realized yellow lights showed up as green in my field of vision. Plus, the bottom edge of the tint coincided with my view of the horizon. This was horribly distracting. They replaced it with what I had ordered originally.

I'm ok with non-OEM as long as the tinting and edges approximate what comes as OEM. I've lowered my comprehensive deductibles on our Fits because the windshield is huge and expensive, especially on the camera-equipped 2018.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
This issue is definitely not owner neglect. That would look like dirty paint, clear coat turning hazy then dark (impossible to see on white), then finally peeling off. Even then, a clear coat should last a decade or more. Paint should never peel off in sheets from the bottom.

I thought industry standard was to dip the body before assembly. You're saying Honda is painting the cars AFTER putting together?? Well I'm not surprised to see issues then, that was the whole point of the body dip innovation ...

If this were me and there was no tsb, I'd paint it myself. Sure it will not look very good, but it will look better than having the paint come off! And up here in NE that body would rust in a few weeks.

Old 02-13-2020, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
Toyota paint problems. Just thought I'd post this to show that paint problems are not unique to Honda.
Toyota Canada white paint problems

In particular note:
"The letter to affected customers said: "The covered condition may occur when sunlight over time degrades the adhesion between the factory-applied paint primer coat layer and the base metal electrodeposition layer causing the paint to peel from the metal body part.""

Essentially same as what Honda has said. This affects white paint. Moral of the story: Don't buy a car with white paint from any manufacturer.

Last edited by woof; 02-13-2020 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
Just an update on my odyssey, I have an appointment in April to repaint the rear hatch covered under warranty. The paint is getting worse as more paint flakes off. They are not covering the sliding driver side door where paint is coming off I told them it's the last Honda I buy.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
Just an update on my odyssey, I have an appointment in April to repaint the rear hatch covered under warranty. The paint is getting worse as more paint flakes off. They are not covering the sliding driver side door where paint is coming off I told them it's the last Honda I buy.
Just had to replace the injectors for cylinder misfire. American Honda would not offer goodwill repairs for these defective parts.

I purchased Honda to avoid mechanical issues based on their reputation. Instead we have VTC actuator and injector manufacturing defects (and paint failure).

First and last Honda.

Old 03-18-2021, 05:03 PM
Angry Fit Paint

My 2015 Fit has the same issue as some posts. The paint peels off easily on the topside of of the doors just beside the base of the window. It would be my guess that some type of contaminant got on these surfaces prior to painting. It is quit clear that the initial paint layer is not adhering to the metal.

Old 03-18-2021, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
What color paint?

Old 05-04-2023, 11:54 AM
pmk
5 Year Member
I didn't receive such a letter for my 2016, but I have confirmed it has the NH-788P and started peeling along the driver door along the ledge at the window slot. Sounds like description in post #75. Initially I was hopeful because of the service bulletin: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...64453-0001.pdf

Any suggestions on approaching the dealer on the issue with minimal pushback? I, myself, can't confirm by VIN--just going by the paint code (White Orchard Pearl), the year, and the condition. If its warranty was extended, that will be through October 2023.

Last edited by pmk; 05-04-2023 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-04-2023, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
i just called my dealer up and explained the issue and that it should be covered under warranty... they will most likely take photos and submit for approval... hopefully your experience is as smooth as mine was... i had to go through this twice so far :/

Old 11-10-2023, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
2023 service on 2018 Orchid White

Our paint started peeling the first year. A small piece broke free at the leading edge of the roof, and for a long time I thought it was a rock chip. Then that area started spreading and larger pieces starting flaking off, mostly between the windshield and the sunroof (it's an EX).

The Honda extended warranty letter made clear I needed any covered work done by a Honda Pro body shop. There are only four locally, so I picked the one with the best reviews on Yelp! & Reddit. They prepared a six page, $4000 estimate that will include replacing the windshield and re-calibrating the camera. Then they told me I needed a dealer to get the work authorized.

I contacted the service manager of a dealer close to me (my purchase was originally from a dealer three states away, partly because I really wanted the white color). The service manager told me he'd ask Honda for the authorization. That was over a month ago. I've emailed and called the dealer with no response. I will have to take the car over there and buttonhole the guy, and if that doesn't work try another dealer. And if that doesn't work, I''ll start pestering Honda directly. The body shop told me that Honda's regional reps won't talk directly to customers, that I had to go through a dealer.

I have owned eight Hondas and have been mostly happy, but this paint saga is, uhm, wearing thin (pardon the pun). May switch to Toyota or Subaru if and when I get another car. The three Hondas I currently have collectively have over a half million miles among them, so hopefully it will be awhile before I need to buy another car.

My car in foreground, much more has flaked off since I took this photo. The Fit in the distance pulled in just as I was leaving. I ran over and asked the driver if she was aware of the extended warranty. She was not. My good deed for the day.

Old 11-15-2023, 10:42 PM
pmk
5 Year Member
My experience was initially as frustrating. My first interaction was with David McDavid in Irving Texas. After visiting the dealer, I was told I needed to visit their body shop--made an appointment to schedule the 20 minute review. The body shop took photos of the three doors with the paint issues, checked my VINs, and used a gadget to check the paint depth to verify it was the original paint (I guess). During the process he "checked" one of the initially unpeeling doors with his fingernail and was able to scrape off some paint (which has since grown much larger). I was surprised he did this.

I don't necessarily fault them, but when they started looking at my service history going back to other states, it started to feel like they were searching for reasons to deny any claim. Ultimately I was told it was still being reviewed 6 months later.

Although the car hasn't been fixed, I did take it to another dealer in California. I felt much less hassled there. Just some photos. I did, however, ask for proof we had the conversation. It was a little different in California--I only needed to talk to the service manger. He has since called me back and I'll take the car in January.

But I was of the same mind about (not) getting another Honda. I hope to get it fixed soon and will probably get rid of that vehicle soon after. I like the car, but the last thing I want is to have paint peeling on the other panels.