3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Add tweeters to LX 4 speaker system

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 09:08 PM
Add tweeters to LX 4 speaker system

Hello,

I'm looking at replacing the front speakers in my 2015 LX and noticed the holes/covers where the tweets would be with the 6 speaker system are present, just empty... Anyone have an idea what it would require to add surface mount tweeters there and run/connect wires? For someone who has never taken a dash out would this be a major project?

Old 12-27-2017, 03:05 AM
Those tweeters normally, are simply connected to some wiring from the door speakers. You don't need to take apart the dash, as there's lots of room to run wiring.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:49 AM
the tweeter run in parallel with the from door speakers. Just need to splice them into the wiring harness heading out to them. There are two connectors in the housing, I dont know where they are located on them though.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:55 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
you do realize you cant just add tweeters and expect good sound. if you're going to take it apart, id just get new components (component speakers) and start fresh.

ive had good luck with polks on my previous cars. cheap and yet good sound, usually the magnets arent that huge so you can fit into factory mount or just make new spacers. so glad my current car stereos sound very good. no need to mod anything.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:01 PM
Thanks everyone...

So say I'm debating between these:
JBL Club 6520 (2 way speakers) (https://www.crutchfield.com/p_109CL6...20.html?tp=105)

JBL GT7-6C (Separate woofer and tweeter) (https://www.crutchfield.com/p_109CL6...20.html?tp=105)

Compared to having 2ways in the doors, do you think I would experience noticeably better sound from putting the tweeters in the OEM location on the dash and then just having woofers in the doors?

Old 12-27-2017, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
Noticeably better sound? Nope.

Think about a comparison to your home stereo. If you were able to separate the tweeters from the midrange and bass units, do you get noticeably better sound? Probably not, because the signal would all have to arrive in phase at your ears, and if it didn't, it would sound discombobulated.

Now a car interior and a home stereo don't exactly have the same soundfield, because the home is a lot more spacious, and the car more confined with early reflective surfaces. But the principle is the same.

Much more important than the placement of the tweeters in relation to the midrange/bass is the quality of the speakers, and the quality of the system as a whole.

I replaced my entire LX system with a Sony aftermarket head unit, Hybrid Audio Technology Imagine speakers front and Mirus rear.

On the Imagines, I had the option of separating the tweeters from the main units and running them in a different location. In the end, I chose not to, for two reasons: different phasing from the different locations, and more work involved since I was doing the installation. HATs are limited distribution speakers and very high quality, so I could have gone either way, but in the end, I'm perfectly happy with the way it all turned out.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:21 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fizz
Compared to having 2ways in the doors, do you think I would experience noticeably better sound from putting the tweeters in the OEM location on the dash and then just having woofers in the doors?
yah, considerably better imaging yes. but if you're just wanting better sound, i think you'll be fine with coaxials..

Old 12-27-2017, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the responses, this was all very helpful.