3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fit and Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jpm
You may find this to be crazy, but I bought a Moto E4 Android phone for $39.99 at Target, bought an unlock code on eBay for $3 (this isn't required I just figured I'd do it while I could). I use it as a GPS so I can keep my music on the CarPlay screen.

Google Maps now allows offline maps so I use the Moto E4 basically as a GPS device only. I download all the maps I need for a trip at home via WiFi (they are good for 30 days before they need refreshing), then I mount the phone in the car and use it as a Google Maps stand alone GPS device, and for $40 it's great. Not the largest or most detailed screen, but it's a nice little device. You could technically hotspot your main cell phone in the car to the E4 so you get live traffic data as well, but I don't.

I'm happy with this solution so far, but I may buy a better Android phone in the future if I can get a good deal. The E4 works but a larger/better screen would be nice, and I'd imagine higher end phones probably have more sensitive GPS modules as well.
I'm pretty much running Waze all the time on my Moto X mounted near the dash. Moto X is a 5.7" screen so plenty big. I had tried Android Auto app on it, but like was mentioned then you are pretty much stuck with AA and can only run Google Maps. I prefer to use Waze with it's alerting function. It's also very light on data usage? Moto X

Old 02-27-2018, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
jpm, that's an interesting solution. It's a way to get better maps for sure!

For me, I've just decided that I like built in navigation and then have the phone connected through bluetooth and not use android auto/carplay. This is NOT the cheapest solution, but it keeps the car able to actually play satellite radio, regular radio, etc while providing navigation without the phone trying to take over the car.

I have full control of podcasts, streaming music, phone functions and navigation at the same time without the annoyance of the phone trying to take over the car.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Wife's car has car play and mine just connects through blue tooth. The only difference I can tell is the ability to have on screen navigation. Which is awesome, but as others have said, it's too bad it doesn't work with Google Maps. Apple maps is awful.

In some ways, I prefer mine with simple blue tooth connection because the phone isn't constantly trying to take over the screen. With car play, it wants to use the phone as the primary source and is constantly switching from the radio to the phone as the source any time you touch the phone for anything.

Through my blue tooth connection I can still control pandora, amazon audio, podcasts, etc on screen.

Granted, mine is a Ford with the sync system that actually works. Modern Honda systems (outside of the '18 Accord) are downright horrible.
mine hasn't been too bad syncing to Bluetooth but couldn't agree more with CarPlay taking over my phone. Annoying as shit.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:31 AM
jpm
Originally Posted by GAFIT
jpm, that's an interesting solution. It's a way to get better maps for sure!

For me, I've just decided that I like built in navigation and then have the phone connected through bluetooth and not use android auto/carplay. This is NOT the cheapest solution, but it keeps the car able to actually play satellite radio, regular radio, etc while providing navigation without the phone trying to take over the car.

I have full control of podcasts, streaming music, phone functions and navigation at the same time without the annoyance of the phone trying to take over the car.
I have a friend with a Ford with the sync system and he likes it as well. His only issue is Ford wants like $200 a year for a new SD card with updated maps. That's a rip in my opinion, part of why I love Google Maps (or any app based solution, like Waze) is the free updated maps.

Are you in the same situation, do you have to pay for maps updates?

Old 02-28-2018, 08:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jpm
I have a friend with a Ford with the sync system and he likes it as well. His only issue is Ford wants like $200 a year for a new SD card with updated maps. That's a rip in my opinion, part of why I love Google Maps (or any app based solution, like Waze) is the free updated maps.

Are you in the same situation, do you have to pay for maps updates?
Same situation. I think that's true for almost any built in GPS. On the bright side, Ford, unlike Honda releases free updates for the system itself. For example, my car didn't come with Siri hands free, but it was added free of charge later.

If you search Honda forums, you can find a lot of Honda owners downright pissed that features that come out months after they purchase a car are never added to the older vehicles. These days it seems Honda ships a car and then just tries to avoid any further expense. I'm hard on Honda because they used to be just do darn good about owner care and maintaining loyalty. IMHO, it's been a slow downhill ride ever since Mr. Honda passed away.

As for the updated maps, it's really up to the user for how often they want to buy new maps. I've traveled a lot of the East coast of the US and it's not like the highways, interstates, or building locations change often. Minor changes here and there, but the old maps will get you where you need to go. My vehicle is a 2013 and I've updated the maps once. Probably won't do it again during my ownership period.

Last edited by GAFIT; 02-28-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member
I do have to add that Google maps is still the most accurate maps. Almost makes it worth switching to an Android phone if they don't integrate google maps into car play.

I also have a Garmin GPS with lifetime maps and live traffic. It's by far the worst of the 4 that I use. Garmin probably won't be in the auto GPS game much longer if they don't greatly improve.

Last edited by GAFIT; 02-28-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:09 PM
sjd
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jpm
It has it's limitations but it's better than most systems that come with a car, especially when it comes to controlling music. However, if you listen to mostly the radio I guess it doesn't matter, but I have a ton of music on my phone and controlling through CarPlay is much better than anything else. I just wish CarPlay allowed the use of Google Maps. Apple Maps are getting better but still not near Google Maps.
Smae here. I listen to a lot of music and love that I can use the Spotify app in my car. Apple Maps isn’t as good as Google Maps but I only use it 2-3 times a month. It’s just nice to have since my Sport didn’t come with factory navigation. The texting and phone interfaces work seamlessly as well.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Agrajag
So our beloved 2009 Fit most likely will be totaled in a day or two here. A valet lost control of it and drove it into a wall. Bummer.

Now we're looking to replace it and my two big things that I wanted in any new car included Sirius XM and Android Auto. I'm assuming any product that does Android Auto can do Sirius XM.

The real question that I don't get is that Honda seems to charge $4,000 for any model with Android Auto.

Is that the case with the Honda Fit? We'd want a Sport or up (and not the base level).
Maybe I'm confused with the question, you're saying they charge $4000 extra for a head unit?? I just got a Sport, came with Android Auto/Apple Whatever, did not pay any extra.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:57 PM
jpm
Originally Posted by datkoops
Maybe I'm confused with the question, you're saying they charge $4000 extra for a head unit?? I just got a Sport, came with Android Auto/Apple Whatever, did not pay any extra.
The way I read it was the cheapest model with Android auto was $4,000 more than base. I'm sure there are other things included for that $4,000 since there are usually "packages", but I could be wrong. So maybe Sport is $4,000 more than base? Something like that.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jpm
The way I read it was the cheapest model with Android auto was $4,000 more than base. I'm sure there are other things included for that $4,000 since there are usually "packages", but I could be wrong. So maybe Sport is $4,000 more than base? Something like that.
Doesn't seem that way, Sport only has a $1300~ higher MSRP.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:17 PM
jpm
Originally Posted by datkoops
Doesn't seem that way, Sport only has a $1300~ higher MSRP.
Hmmm, not sure what he meant then, maybe OP will chime in later.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
I'm pretty much running Waze all the time on my Moto X mounted near the dash. Moto X is a 5.7" screen so plenty big. I had tried Android Auto app on it, but like was mentioned then you are pretty much stuck with AA and can only run Google Maps. I prefer to use Waze with it's alerting function. It's also very light on data usage? Moto X
Waze is supported, mostly seamlessly, on AA. I use it regularly.

However, I seem to prefer having my phone mounted on my dash, and using it via bluetooth. It allows me to use Waze's full functionality, including voice commands. It also allows me to have my navigation screen separate from my now playing/lane watch and backup cameras/phone call and text display. I've had a couple times where I've had my right signal on, and needed to double check the GPS, but couldn't see it because the lane watch was on the screen. Or, when I've been in a phone call and needed to look at the GPS, but the phone call was on the display. It essentially turns my phone into a GPS unit for the drive, with everything else being operated from the head unit.

The one feature I don't like in this setting, is the inability to use AA voice call. The car's built in voice command system is garbage. So, when I do need to make a call, I need to dial with my phone, which isn't the safest option while driving.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by QuiGonQuinn
Waze is supported, mostly seamlessly, on AA. I use it regularly.

However, I seem to prefer having my phone mounted on my dash, and using it via bluetooth. It allows me to use Waze's full functionality, including voice commands. It also allows me to have my navigation screen separate from my now playing/lane watch and backup cameras/phone call and text display. I've had a couple times where I've had my right signal on, and needed to double check the GPS, but couldn't see it because the lane watch was on the screen. Or, when I've been in a phone call and needed to look at the GPS, but the phone call was on the display. It essentially turns my phone into a GPS unit for the drive, with everything else being operated from the head unit.

The one feature I don't like in this setting, is the inability to use AA voice call. The car's built in voice command system is garbage. So, when I do need to make a call, I need to dial with my phone, which isn't the safest option while driving.
Waze isn't supported in the app version of AA on a cell phone, while it is in the integrated head units had been my experience.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
I can't figure out how Waze works. I'll try again, but it to me is anti-intuitive. Clearly I'm in the minority.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Waze isn't supported in the app version of AA on a cell phone, while it is in the integrated head units had been my experience.
So just tried Android Auto after getting a new phone, and now Waze is supported! The first time I clicked navigation, it asked if I wanted to use Google Maps or Waze

Old 08-02-2018, 12:22 PM
I just got my new 2018 EX-L, and I'm still getting used to all the Android Auto features. Right now, though, I'm thoroughly enjoying the free trial of Sirius XM, so I haven't explored Android Auto's audio settings. When the XM trial ends, I'll experiment with using my TuneInRadio Pro app to listen to comedy stations and old-school punk/new wave.

I do love that whether I'm using the Android Auto feature or not (or whether my phone is plugged in or not), I can still get text messages and calls. That's cool.

And I definitely like using the Android Auto feature for navigation.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MoonTzu
I just got my new 2018 EX-L, and I'm still getting used to all the Android Auto features. Right now, though, I'm thoroughly enjoying the free trial of Sirius XM, so I haven't explored Android Auto's audio settings. When the XM trial ends, I'll experiment with using my TuneInRadio Pro app to listen to comedy stations and old-school punk/new wave.

I do love that whether I'm using the Android Auto feature or not (or whether my phone is plugged in or not), I can still get text messages and calls. That's cool.

And I definitely like using the Android Auto feature for navigation.
I use Android Auto daily on my 40 minute each way commute for phone calls, texts, Waze (love Waze, it helps keep me out of trouble...), Amazon Music, and XM.

Android Auto does support the XM App if you were interested in an online XM subscription; it's not free... but nice to be able to stream at home, work, in the car, wherever...

Old 08-02-2018, 08:12 PM
My lx model plays aux and bluetooth .. My phone is an android, ergo: Android auto. :P