3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Spray kick-up

  #1  
Old 02-06-2018, 05:12 PM
New Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: toronto
Posts: 15
Spray kick-up

Anyone notice the Fit kicks up a lot of spray in rain or slush conditions?

I've got rear mud guards and still the back of my Fit is completely covered in a slush and salt mix.

I guess it's the small rear over hang and flat back. Brutal to keep clean.
 
  #2  
Old 02-06-2018, 07:43 PM
kenchan's Avatar
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
iTrader: (4)
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OG Club
Posts: 20,283
its the shape of the car due to the vortex. my GTI and Golf-R also do the same.
 
  #3  
Old 02-06-2018, 08:02 PM
Uncle Gary's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 2,353
Such is life with a hatchback. Thatís why they put window wipers on the back windows.
 
  #4  
Old 02-06-2018, 10:01 PM
SHAG's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bradford, Pa
Posts: 50
Worst car ever with this problem. The spoiler is useless keeping up spray off the rear window compared to my old Yaris and the gunk gets blown up where the hatch release and lock buttons are.
 
  #5  
Old 02-06-2018, 10:27 PM
ashchuckton's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Here & now
Posts: 681
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
its the shape of the car due to the vortex. my GTI and Golf-R also do the same.
+1 Big turbulence at the rear of hatch backs. Love having a rear wiper.
 
  #6  
Old 02-06-2018, 10:43 PM
bach's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: metro chicago
Posts: 536
Not my first car with a rear wiper, but my first car with a rear wiper that clears the wrong side of the rear window. Ever notice that? It definitely favors the passenger side. Other cars I've had rotated from the center. I figure it's because it was designed for right hand drive.
 
  #7  
Old 02-07-2018, 07:23 AM
Member
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NOVAnistan
Posts: 2,405
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary View Post
Such is life with a hatchback. Thatís why they put window wipers on the back windows.
Agreed, my 4Runner has the same problem. The back hatch area is the dirtiest part of the vehicle.

Plus my Fit is white so it looks extra filthy haha
 
  #8  
Old 02-07-2018, 08:56 AM
TorontoBoy's Avatar
Member
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 932
Toronto! Yes, there's nothing that will keep your car clean. I, too, have rear mud guards, but there's splash and salt stains right up to the top of the car in the rear. There's nothing you can do.
 
  #9  
Old 02-07-2018, 06:00 PM
Uncle Gary's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 2,353
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2 View Post
Agreed, my 4Runner has the same problem. The back hatch area is the dirtiest part of the vehicle.

Plus my Fit is white so it looks extra filthy haha
Mine, too.
 
  #10  
Old 02-07-2018, 06:02 PM
Uncle Gary's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 2,353
Originally Posted by bach View Post
Not my first car with a rear wiper, but my first car with a rear wiper that clears the wrong side of the rear window. Ever notice that? It definitely favors the passenger side. Other cars I've had rotated from the center. I figure it's because it was designed for right hand drive.
Yeah, it's most likely because the Fit is designed for Japan, where they drive on the wrong side of the road. It was probably too much trouble to reverse the wiper location for the rest of the world.
 
  #11  
Old 02-11-2018, 08:52 AM
fitchet's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,839
Originally Posted by SHAG View Post
Worst car ever with this problem. The spoiler is useless keeping up spray off the rear window compared to my old Yaris and the gunk gets blown up where the hatch release and lock buttons are.
Yeah, I think the spoiler is useless in this regard because most of the spray is coming up from the bottom to the top. So the spoiler actually just becomes a lip that catches and forces more dirt and spray down on the hatch.

But hey?
It's a hatchback, not a sedan where the back window is protected by being set back behind a trunk.
Nor is it a bigger SUV which is placing the rear window higher up.

The reality of how much spray get's on the back hatch...is exactly why I have no interest in deleting my rear wiper.
 
  #12  
Old 02-11-2018, 09:49 AM
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Edmonton, AB. Canada
Posts: 919
Over the couple of days, we've had enough snow come down, that I've noticed the entire rear hatch and ALL of the lights (brakes, turn signals, high mounted brakes, licence plate and my pillar lights) were completely covered.

The only way someone knew that I wanted to turn was from the mirror signals.

On my trip to Montreal I had to stop and clean the entire rear end a few times.
 
  #13  
Old 02-11-2018, 10:01 AM
TorontoBoy's Avatar
Member
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 932
Related, road snot has accumulated on both front wheels. This is slush that the wheels have kicked up, which then solidifies between the wheel and the mud guards. Usually some vibration/tapping on the mud guard is all that is needed to loosen it, which then falls off, but this morning it would not budge. Frozen solid, I could not remove it, even with well placed kicks.

The rear wheels have more give to the bodywork and shed the snot much easier.
 
  #14  
Old 02-11-2018, 12:07 PM
bach's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: metro chicago
Posts: 536
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy View Post
Related, road snot has accumulated on both front wheels. This is slush that the wheels have kicked up, which then solidifies between the wheel and the mud guards. Usually some vibration/tapping on the mud guard is all that is needed to loosen it, which then falls off, but this morning it would not budge. Frozen solid, I could not remove it, even with well placed kicks.
I had a little scare this morning ... my little corner of the world has seen maybe 20 inches of snow since Thur night and I took the Fit out this morning for the first time all week. After a few miles my steering wheel starting violently shaking at 35 mph. A quick check found a bunch of frozen snow stuck all inside my pass side wheels that threw the balance all to hell. I had to pull it out by hand; no fun but it stopped the shaking.
 

Last edited by bach; 02-11-2018 at 03:25 PM. Reason: I can't leave a first draft to save my life ...
  #15  
Old 02-11-2018, 12:55 PM
kenchan's Avatar
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
iTrader: (4)
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OG Club
Posts: 20,283
yah, happens on my cars too if i dont remove the snow out of the barrels..
 
  #16  
Old 02-11-2018, 02:01 PM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 511
Originally Posted by bach View Post
I had a little scare this morning ... my little corner of the world has seen maybe 20 inches of snow since Thur night and I took the Fit out this morning for the first time all week. After a few miles my steering wheel starting violently shaking at 35 mph. A quick check found a bunch of frozen snow stuck all inside my pass side wheels that threw the balance all to hell. I had to pull out by hand; no fun but it stopped the shaking.

I just go to the hand car wash and remove the snow with the hot soapy water sprayer. Much faster, easier and only costs a couple bucks. Besides your wheels are then clean
 
  #17  
Old 02-11-2018, 09:53 PM
SHAG's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bradford, Pa
Posts: 50
I see that the 2018 Fit build has an optional spoiler but I doubt that it directs air down over the rear window to keep debris off it like the older SUV's did years ago. That would probably hinder fuel mileage ...
 
  #18  
Old 02-22-2018, 03:05 PM
Member
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 276
I'm daydreaming of the day when fits come with dual rear wiper set-ups.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
HarleyBadger
3rd Generation (2015+)
2
01-21-2018 12:42 PM
SilverEX15
3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum
2
06-22-2017 09:54 AM
GeorgeL
3rd Generation (2015+)
9
11-05-2016 09:13 PM
emelex
Fit Interior Modifications
3
10-25-2016 09:15 AM
BMCBoid
2nd Generation (GE 08-13)
0
03-05-2016 10:25 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spray kick-up


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.