3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 MT Fit LX 2nd/3rd gear issue(s)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 10:25 AM
2015 MT Fit LX 2nd/3rd gear issue(s)

I bought my fit about 3 months ago. I noticed some a possible issue but thought maybe despite driving manuals most my life, I just wasn't used to the clutch and needed to drive it for awhile and get the feel right. I'm pretty confident its an issue with the clutch/gearbox and wanted to see if anyone else has noticed this or if it's just 'as it goes' with this small engine.

My first issue is mostly with 2nd gear and occasionally with 3rd. When accelerating in 2nd gear and applying steady gas (not flooring it I accelerate like I have nowhere important to be), the car gives me a wobble/wave feel, almost as if it's hitting some flat spots. I have not felt this at all in 1st or 4th/6th. I change gears around 3k RPMs so shifting at the right time shouldn't be the issue. The wave feel happens at around 2.2k-2.8k RPMs in 2nd. I don't always feel it in 3rd, but its usually hitting at around 2k-2.5k when I notice it. A former mechanic friend of mine suggested I take the battery off the terminal for a couple hours, hook it back up, then drive it around for an hour going back and forth on my normal commute so the computer can get accustomed to my driving style. Haven't tried this yet, but is this something that can actually work? Seems a bit off to me, but this is by far the newest car I've driven so I have no idea how the chips work on it.

My second issue is a weird sound when accelerating. This sound usually happens closer to 3k RPMs and only happens with my foot on the gas or when cruise control is accelerating to match speed like when going uphill. The best way I have thought of to describe it is like there's someone 10 feet away from my car shaking an empty soda can with a single staple inside of it. I can't pin it down to any issue happening with the car. I thought possible wheel bearing at first but it isn't tied in at all to turning. The car doesn't shake or do anything out of the normal when I hear the sound. I can say it seems to happen more when the temperature is sub 50° F.

I'm bringing my baby in on Wednesday to address its open recall for the rear handle grab brackets and outer door handle bracket corrosion. I'd like to know if I'm just being paranoid or if I should bring this up to the techs and have them check it out when I drop it off. I'm only at 32k miles, so I still have my 36k warranty intact until September(10mile round trip commute so I won't come close to 36k by then). My only fear with that is I'll tell them the issue, they'll fix it, and if its something not covered by the limited warranty I'll get slapped with a bill for something I could most likely fix myself.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Old 04-20-2018, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
My advice is to have them check out all your concerns before the warranty runs out. Thereafter, if the problems continues, then you would be covered because the issues were identified but not fixed in the first place.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
I drove my 2015 6MT 'till 81k miles. I had the same hesitation issue in 2nd gear and so did others on this forum. Techs will likely "not be able to replicate". But after dealer replaced the injectors (16k miles), it basically went away ... but I would still get it occasionally.
[dealer replaced injectors due to check engine light + service bulletin recommending injector + fuel line parts replacement].

Old 04-20-2018, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
Old 04-20-2018, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
Old 04-20-2018, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
As for the noise, I have no idea...as for the slight hesitation in 2nd at about 2200 rpm, yeah, it's pretty common, it seems. I just take 1st gear up high enough that when I shift to 2nd, I'm at 2500+ rpm..
shouldn't have to be that way, but it works for me 😁

Old 04-21-2018, 04:29 AM
5 Year Member
Got a 15 with 85k on the clock. Since new it'll do the jerky hesitation thing under certain throttle conditions in both 1st and 2nd. For me, fully engage clutch under 2k rpm and then too quickly apply throttle at the same time almost makes it do it every time around 2.5k rpm