3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 Fit EX - Adding Navi?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 08:17 AM
2015 Fit EX - Adding Navi?

Hey friends,
We just bought a 2015 Honda Fit EX without Navi and I was wondering if you can add it afterwards? I've read that it still has the GPS sensor built in. Can you upgrade after the fact at the dealership?

I was looking at the different trim levels and she has the lane watch and proximity key functionality but not navi so it must just be the EX not the EX-L.

To head off any questions, yes we could just use a smart phone with google maps or apple maps or whatever but in places without cell reception we'd be hosed and without an unlimited data plan we'd have to download the maps in advance or risk running into our caps.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sharpiemarker
To head off any questions, yes we could just use a smart phone with google maps or apple maps or whatever but in places without cell reception we'd be hosed and without an unlimited data plan we'd have to download the maps in advance or risk running into our caps.
Have no idea if that upgrade is possible ...We have a '15 LX, I typically use my phone and have a backup Garmin (with free lifetime updates) as needed. I'm a simple man

Old 05-01-2018, 08:53 AM
5 Year Member
Upgrading to navi at a dealership would probably cost a boatload (think several thousand $) assuming it could be done at all.

You can always install an aftermarket head unit with navi, but unless you take special precautions, you lose the lanewatch and backup cameras.

I had aftermarket navi on my '08 Sport and loved it, but there was no backup or lanewatch camera to worry about then.

My current solution is to run a Garmin standalone navi unit, tucked into the left corner of my dash just under the A-pillar. I have an aftermarket Sony head unit, and if I need anything else, can use my smartphone as an alternate rather than as a primary navi source.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
Have no idea if that upgrade is possible ...We have a '15 LX, I typically use my phone and have a backup Garmin (with free lifetime updates) as needed. I'm a simple man
Some like the integrated look, but I'm with you here. That's why I have a garmin mounted on top of the dash. It is a refurbished unit with free updates. I also like to keep my cars 100% stock, especially when it comes to sell.

Last edited by wasserball; 05-01-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by bargainguy
Upgrading to navi at a dealership would probably cost a boatload (think several thousand $) assuming it could be done at all.

You can always install an aftermarket head unit with navi, but unless you take special precautions, you lose the lanewatch and backup cameras.

I had aftermarket navi on my '08 Sport and loved it, but there was no backup or lanewatch camera to worry about then.

My current solution is to run a Garmin standalone navi unit, tucked into the left corner of my dash just under the A-pillar. I have an aftermarket Sony head unit, and if I need anything else, can use my smartphone as an alternate rather than as a primary navi source.
It might not if it's just a firmware update. I had read on a forum after some googling that it seems to be the same unit as in the navi models but crippled.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:44 AM
i have 2015 ex-l and no navi package, so i bought the cables $$$$ (hdmi etc.) and with my gas station bonus points got the apple honda navigation app $60, really poor app, does not announce the street names (turn right.... turn left), graphics are less impressive, rarely gets used.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:14 AM
5 Year Member
You would need to call the dealership and hope they really know, or give a sincere answer. But I doubt upgrading after purchase is possible or happens. I've never read a thread where anyone claims to have done it, or had it done.
I mean the reason Honda makes differences in trim levels, and extra's IS to get you to upgrade. If you could easily or economically add factory navigation, it would kind of defeat the purpose of designation.
I could be wrong, but I doubt it's really supported or possible, at least officially.

I own a 2016 EX, and I use a Garmin that is at least 10 years old. I keep updating the maps (free) and the software, and it still works great.

I suppose having navigation built into the head unit would be nice, but I've never really missed it. This is the 3rd vehicle I've been able to use the Garmin in, and with what was less than a $150 dollar original purchase, that's a pretty good value for a decade of automobile navigation, and being able to NOT pay for Navigation in 3 different vehicle choices. Assuming I could of paid for built in Navigation on my last 3 vehicles, using a Garmin has probably saved me literally thousands of dollars. Not to mention, once familiar with the Garmin, ease of use is a plus.

Ultimately in automotive forums, I've learned nearly NOTHING is impossible. But IMO adding official OEM, navigation to a Fit not originally equipped, would at least be very difficult, and even if you could find a way to make it happen, it wouldn't be worth it to me.

The latest generation of Garmins, have a LOT of really cool features, whether you need them or not.
I'd check them out then decide if you really want to go to the trouble and potential expense of upgrading 'built in".

Old 05-06-2018, 12:09 AM
It's kind of a hassle to do every time so it might not be worth doing every time you get in the car but on a long trip when you want to use google maps to nav off your phone or something you can use this trick

Old 05-06-2018, 08:05 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
^ lol.. just use your phone. or at least find the ebrake wire and use a e-brake bypass relay sold on ebay for aftermarket HU's.