3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Weirdness With CVT 2016 LX

Old 06-29-2018, 05:01 AM
Weirdness With CVT 2016 LX

I had the CVT fluid changed at my dealer yesterday about 5K miles early since I had an intermittent issue with slow engagement lag when backing uf out of my parking space,

When taking the car home, it felt like 2 more cylinders were just added to the engine.

No way to check the fluid by looking at the fluid or smelling it. No leakage seen.

Has anyone else experienced this?

My FIT is almost totally driven conservatively in the city.

Thanks

Old 06-29-2018, 01:51 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
sounds like a great deal.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
Nope, can't say I've had that experience.

But given this binary truth...
Either having work done and things getting worse.
OR
Having work done and things getting better.

I'll take better.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
So you changed it at 55k miles? Did you own the car since new? How did it fare when you first got it?

Or let me guess ........ the dealer tech pushed the ECON button... thus disabling the slow growing plant on your dash... thus removing the "slow" from the cvt. Problem solved!

Old 06-29-2018, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator
yeah yeah econ button is off!

Old 06-30-2018, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
If ya ask me, there's weirdness with all CVTs.....just sayin' …. y'all can have 'em

Old 06-30-2018, 11:22 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
true... but dat econ button does slow down (dampen) the throttle response considerably and it is SUPER annoying.

Old 06-30-2018, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
If ya ask me, there's weirdness with all CVTs.....just sayin' …. y'all can have 'em
I don't think I will ever get used to how the power gets delivered. I miss the 6MT. But I am getting better fuel economy with the CVT... probably because I don't visit the redline. CVT = rehab. 6MT is like a dope fix for me ... once in my hands ... to the redline she goes.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:22 AM
5 Year Member
It is nice to have that choice. I understand that my Fit is no Corvette: saves $$ not having to buy racing togs!

Old 07-01-2018, 10:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CommanderSlug
I don't think I will ever get used to how the power gets delivered. I miss the 6MT. But I am getting better fuel economy with the CVT... probably because I don't visit the redline. CVT = rehab. 6MT is like a dope fix for me ... once in my hands ... to the redline she goes.
LOL....totally agreed....but I guess it's the future, as we now know it. I understand the mpg thing and how cvts operate, it's just too weird for this old man....driving, to me, is an immersive, tactile experience, and cvts do nothing for me - had experience with cvt in a couple of rentals, my wife loved how they "shifted".....LOL Hell, when I was kid, the year 2000 was some mythical "the future" milestone.....where is my damn flying car? I'll be keeping my manual '15 LX for a long time, as something tells me this likely was my last chance to purchase a new/somewhat new car with a manual. It is what it is, I guess...…….

Old 07-01-2018, 10:53 AM
5 Year Member
As stated, It is nice to have that choice. Even old men can handle new experiences: I have ridden in a '33 Hupmobile, a Ford 'A' and 'B', and have driven 50-year-old tractors. My first car was a '40 Pontiac! It is nice to have choice.
My current '16 CVT is OK.

Old 12-22-2021, 02:26 AM
I want to add my own experience with changing the CVT fluid and getting the "small" (so far!) issues with the tranny after that. I own a Fit 2017, and I got 35K miles when I decided that it's time to change the CVT fluid. I did the transmission fluid change with the filters on my own, one inside (strainer, OEM part#25420-5T0-003) with removing the pan and cleaning magnets. Another one is on the radiator side (warmer, OEM part#25450-P4V-013). I used HCF-2 fluid (used an OEM Part#08200_HCF2), all these parts were purchased at official Honda Parts retail (dealership and hondapartsconnection.com) with the VIN verification before purchasing. Fluid was drained into the drain pan and then measured, and I added the same amount as drained - approx. 4 Liters. I believe something happened right after or during the CVT oil change. I’m assuming the ECU just got an unknown glitch and changed the modes how it should move the pulleys and belt inside the tranny.
After the fluid was changed I noticed some changes which are not making me happy anymore with the driving experience of my Honda:
1) It jerks or even stall out when start driving, no matter, warm or cold, moving backward or forward. However, this is an intermittent issue. It happens once in approximately 6-10 engine starts-stops. Most of the time it starts just normal.

2) CVT slips/shifts to neutral when decelerating on D mode, RPM drops from higher revs to 1000-1100RPM. I know for sure that it’s been keeping the gear engaged while decelerating before, RPM was dropping just slightly, by 200-300RPM. However, if you drive above 65-68 mph on the freeway and then decelerate, it keeps the revs and tranny engaged, how it should. Below that speed, it shifts to neutral, making cruising on neutral, which is not only uncomfortable but also unsafe under certain conditions. On S mode everything works as it should.

3) I am getting increased fuel consumption. Before it was 38-40mpg on mixt(city25%-HWY70%), now I am barely making 33-35mpg on the same driving routine. I have a feeling that the engine is dealing with a bigger strand/load while accelerating. I was able to start the car and accelerate it on 1500-1700RPM smoothly before, but now it requires higher revs (1700-2000RPM) to get it moving from the stoplight smoothly.

I bring these questions to the dealership and they said smth like: " No codes, no problem". Their tech test drove it and said - this is how CVT should actually act, which is BS (sorry for my French). Long story short: they did flush the fluid after all and I see no improvements at all. They said they can't reprogram it as this one is not reprogrammable. (another BS I believe)

Does anyone know what could have happened? This vehicle is the only vehicle in my family, so no racing, no extremal driving modes, most mileage was made on the HWYs with speeds no more the 70-75mph. I love the vehicle, not abusing it. Before flushing the fluid - I've sent the sample of the original fluid to the Blackstone laboratories to inspect the fluid condition and it was absolutely fine.

Would anyone describe how the tranny on 3rd gen Fit acts if you decelerate from let's say 45mph? Do the revs drop to 1000rpm like you switch to neutral or somehow differently?