3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fit Totaled

Old 12-07-2018, 05:25 PM
Give them nothing. Tell them that if a Fit comes in on Dec 19 they can give you a call and if you haven't bought a car at another dealership by then you might be willing to come down and look at it.

Sure, you're giving up on any chance of getting a loaner from them but honestly they just seem to be trying to set the hook in you and don't have any credibility.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
I remember waiting almost a year to get my ‘15 Fit as Honda Mexico experienced delay after delay after delay. I never expected to see this repeated only four years later.

Oh well, every day I read another article telling me that in the next 2-5 years we’re all going to give up our cars in favor of being trundled about in self-driving taxis. Supposedly this will usher in a new urban utopia. Or dystopia, depending on your point of view.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof View Post
The car and everything on it belongs to the insurance company now.
What about things "In it"?
I luckily haven't been forced to test the situation, BUT I always assumed that if my vehicle was in a wreck, and towed, while perhaps I was taken to the hospital to be checked out, I'd later be allowed to remove any personal items. For example my portable Garmin GPS Navigation Unit.

Since I think in most cases the Insurance Company doesn't reimburse you for the value of accessories you add, then it's a bummer deal they don't allow you to remove them. If I planned to get a Honda Fit of similar year or model? I'd surely want my Cargo Cover. No need to buy that twice.
If I had a custom set of mats or Clazzio Seat covers, I'd want those too....

Guess I never gave it much thought. I've been lucky enough to never be in an accident so bad, the vehicle was towed or removed from my sight.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:54 PM
"I assume I'm allowed to remove any accessories that I added to the car. "
The car and everything on it belongs to the insurance company now. If they allow you to strip things off it diminishes their scrap value. let us know what happens.
I don't think that's true unless you signed off any paperwork accepting a payout for the car. If it's in a wrecking yard, it's technically still your vehicle titled in your name etc.

My buddy's car got wrecked and we coordinate with the yard to go in and pull off the exhaust he had recently installed. We also pulled the sub, amp and some other interior bits.
​​​​
How's the Civic drive compared to the fit?

Old 12-07-2018, 09:39 PM
Personal items lying loosely around of course are yours to take. Things that are bolted on I think would be a different matter. Then there's some things in a gray area but you can just try them and see if they say anything. Might depend on the insurance company policies.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:04 PM
Glad your son is ok!

My Fit was just totaled a month ago. My insurance allowed me to remove anything that I wanted. Now that they have the title and it has been towed to the salvage yard it might be different but they never told me I couldn't.

My Fit was a 2009 Sport 5MT w/ Nav 93,000 miles and they gave me $7100.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:21 AM
Give them nothing. Tell them that if a Fit comes in on Dec 19 they can give you a call and if you haven't bought a car at another dealership by then you might be willing to come down and look at it.

Sure, you're giving up on any chance of getting a loaner from them but honestly they just seem to be trying to set the hook in you and don't have any credibility.
They apologized for "the confusion" and offered me a brand new Civic as a loaner - 13 miles on it. No more money to pay and no contract to sign. We should have a car in about a week, but we keep the Civic till the new Fit arrives.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2 View Post
I don't think that's true unless you signed off any paperwork accepting a payout for the car. If it's in a wrecking yard, it's technically still your vehicle titled in your name etc.

My buddy's car got wrecked and we coordinate with the yard to go in and pull off the exhaust he had recently installed. We also pulled the sub, amp and some other interior bits.
​​​​
How's the Civic drive compared to the fit?
The Civic feels a lot bigger, has more power, is quieter, but if has a digital speedometer that show a number as the speed - "36," "47," "65." Neither of us likes that. The parking brake is push-button, which is weird. The main reason I wouldn't buy one is the lack of keyless entry and LaneWatch. Maybe a more expensive model has those features. We also have to find a way to get the interior lights to turn on when the door is opened.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:16 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15 View Post
My son was stuck in traffic at a construction site coming home from work yesterday evening when a car slammed into him from the right, rear. The car was pushed into a barrier, and the air bag went off. I haven't seen the car, but I'm sure it will be totaled. Now, I have to drive him to work and shop around for a new Fit. Until we got the Fits, we always had "extra" cars in the family, but now we have two people and one car. I want to get to the towing company and remove personal items and take pictures, but the guy says he's "in and out." When I get pictures, I'll post them.

The car is four years old with about 89,000 miles, so I don't mind replacing it. If you remember my previous posts, this is the car that cost $650 in guesswork repairs to get the Check Engine light turned off. That took two months, and the lights came back on just after it passed the state inspection. It's also the car that has a brand new $353 right side view mirror. : (

I assume I'm allowed to remove any accessories that I added to the car.
wow sorry to hear and hope your son's okay. u know when my wife was hit in a parking lot at moderate speed while my son (at the time a todder) was not riding along, it was the bestest reason to fix the faking corolla i absolutely hated and traded the moment it came out of the body shop. still smelled like paint and i got pretty much zero loss on the value of the car when traded. lol

hope u find the car u can enjoy without these stupid GK repairs. i will never buy another honda made in mexico.