3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

How to check manual transmission fluid level and change the fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 01:29 AM
Question How to check manual transmission fluid level and change the fluid?

Just wanted to know the process on how to check the transmission fluid level and how to change the fluid... Owners manual is no help. Just tells you to have the dealer do it... Any help is appreciated...

Old 09-15-2016, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
As nobody has responded, I don't own a Gen3 and my Gen2 is an Auto, but most manual gearboxes have a port in the side of the gearcase. With the vehicle off and cool, a bolt is removed and a finger is inserted in the hole. The transmission oil should be either dripping out the hole or be just below it, as sensed with your finger.

If you need to add fluid, it's added through the same hole.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alco RS-1
As nobody has responded, I don't own a Gen3 and my Gen2 is an Auto, but most manual gearboxes have a port in the side of the gearcase. With the vehicle off and cool, a bolt is removed and a finger is inserted in the hole. The transmission oil should be either dripping out the hole or be just below it, as sensed with your finger.

If you need to add fluid, it's added through the same hole.
Yup this is how you do it, you don't stick your whole finger in just up to the first knuckle then point it down. also make sure the car is leveled otherwise you'll get a false reading. Good luck!

Old 09-15-2016, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the reply guys, that sounds manageable. I've only dealt with b series and d series transmissions all my life so yea, guess I'll give this a try...

Old 11-13-2017, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
This video covers how to change the oil for the 2015 manual trans:

I filled with 1.5 liters of Torco mtf and life is good.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by CommanderSlug
This video covers how to change the oil for the 2015 manual trans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiUNGsXXA3Y

I filled with 1.5 liters of Torco mtf and life is good.

Hi guys, this is my first post/question on this forum! Happy I found this resource. On the video above I notice the car is on a scissor jack (with no jackstand? can't really tell if there is one on there) and has the wheel removed. Is taking the wheel off necessary to perform this procedure? If I have the car on ramps will I be able to do this from underneath the car?
I just recently purchased a 2015 EX 6MT with 55K and the shifting is feeling a little notchy. Figured changing the oil will probably be a good thing and help with the notchiness (I hope anyway). Thanks for the replies! Hope to hear back soon.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
Welcome to FF!

I did our GD Fit on ramps without removing the wheel. Should be the same as yours. I didn't watch the video, but I'm guessing he removed the wheel more for filming reasons.

If you have a way, I recommend lifting the rear to make the vehicle level when filling.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Welcome to FF!

I did our GD Fit on ramps without removing the wheel. Should be the same as yours. I didn't watch the video, but I'm guessing he removed the wheel more for filming reasons.

If you have a way, I recommend lifting the rear to make the vehicle level when filling.
Thanks for the reply!!
I’m debating whether to purchase some ramps or a decent floor jack and some jack stands. If I need the car level for the filling then maybe floor jack and stands are the better option?
I’ll be doing some other basic maintenance myself as well so not sure which way to go. Sorry if this is a little off topic!

Old 12-08-2017, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
Well, if it's one or the other...

Jack and stands can do everything while ramps are more limited use. Can't do brakes with ramps, rotate tires, etc.

That being said, I use my ramps quite a bit. Sure are easier and I feel safer.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Well, if it's one or the other...

Jack and stands can do everything while ramps are more limited use. Can't do brakes with ramps, rotate tires, etc.

That being said, I use my ramps quite a bit. Sure are easier and I feel safer.
Yeah... the feeling safer part is what keeps me debating this in my head. I guess I’ll give it some more thought.
Thanks a million for the help!

Old 12-12-2017, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
Go for both.
I built something similar to this (Mustangworld - Build yourself some ramps !) when I had my Supra and am glad I kept them around for everything else. They store nicely under my wifes subaru in the garage too. There is no way for these to fail...ever.
I also have 4 jack stands and a jack though because they are necessary for tire/wheel/suspension related things.