Amp placement

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 07:28 PM
Amp placement

I have been looking over my GK for a good spot to mount my amp and have narrowed it down to under a front seat or on one of the rear seat supports. Has anyone got pics of their amp installations up yet?

I am leaning towards under the back seat as it will just fit with the seats down and mounting a bracket for it on that support will likely be easier than trying to get it under a front seat. I will need to allow enough cabling for it to move up and down with the seats for tall mode but I think this can be done neatly.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:10 PM
Another possibility might be underneath the cover for the spare tire; at least on the GD/GE Fits, there's enough space there for an amp if it's not too chunky. There isn't much space at all underneath the seats, as I'm sure you've noted; I'd suggest triple-checking that things will fit and the seats will move and fold as they should before mounting stuff there. (Bear in mind that the gas tank is under the front seats, so you probably want to avoid drilling into the floor pan or anything along those lines there.)

Old 09-17-2014, 10:07 PM
Thanks, I did consider carving out some of the foam block above the spare but given I am keeping my steelies for now, I would prefer to get a full size spare as we regularly drive on rough unsealed roads with a 100km (55-60mph?) limit.

The file tank and the difficulty of attaching to the under of the seats has me leaning towards the back seat option. I will dust off my amp and test fit in the next few days as I am recycling an old MTX amp to put more into the speakers.

I will post pics as I go.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:04 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by nicco
.....did consider carving out some of the foam block above the spare.......leaning towards the back seat option......will post pics.......
Will be tackling the stereo components this weekend (once I'm done with sound-deadening - this is taking more time than I thought).

Will keep the steelie spare and the idea of putting a component there is perfect. Will be checking out the needed materials in the next couple of days. Damn, foam blocks, never thought of that!!! Thanks mate!!!

Under the passenger's seat there is a metal seat frame (close to the floor) that can mount a component with a small footprint. Most probably will install the amp there (so it can breathe). The spare tire will be for the Audison sound processor (will keep the OEM HU). Am thinking that the small sized powered sub can go underneath one of the rear seats.

Will be watching your progress with great interest.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:56 AM
Originally Posted by ROTTBOY
(once I'm done with sound-deadening - this is taking more time than I thought).
I know your pain, has taken me the afternoon just to swap the rear speakers and do the sound deadening in the rear doors. Did the old knuckle on the doors tap test and it seems to have worked. The second door was much quicker to do both the speaker and the deadening but no matter how hard I tried, I still got some smudges of that sealing gunk on me that takes ages to get off (yes I was wearing gloves).

Hoping to get the fronts done tomorrow. All speakers are being swapped for Rockford Fosgate Power 6.5 two ways. The adapter plates that came with them came in handy.

Got a 10inch shallow mount sub that I will be building a box for that will be fit into one side of the trunk so that the panel for the spare can still lift up. This is primarily because I want to play with doing a fibreglass sub box and also to maximise space in the rear in tall mode.

The sub and speakers have blown my current budget so will be recycling my old MTX amp. It won't fit under a front seat but will just squeeze in under the back seat. While I was at the hardware store, I grabbed a few 20mm pvc saddles to mound the base for the amp under the seats.
https://www.masters.com.au/product/9...vc-saddle-20mm

Amps are getting so small now that when funds permit, I will get one for the speakers and one for the sub which might then give me an excuse to get another sub for the other side of the trunk

Old 10-17-2014, 12:05 AM
Took some pics of the front door install. You can undo the honda plugs and remove the terminals to hook up the speakers.

Name:  789B8800-DBB2-46C3-B437-B9968C060331.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  47.4 KB

Name:  E9D79E1B-25C1-4FC4-9591-1780EBD894FB.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  50.8 KB

Gently lift the tabs on either side of the T shape in the middle. The one on the right has been lifted. As you are doing this put gentle tension on the plug and the terminals will slide out as they are released.

Name:  FD4F14A0-3092-47A6-9665-9E88EA695BF0.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  45.3 KB

Name:  F2BFA425-3A10-470F-BAA1-877E0EDC8418.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  46.4 KB

I just rigged this up as an interim solution until I eventually rewire the speakers from the amp. They were then wrapped in electrical tape. The existing negative terminal just slipped onto my speaker's terminal.
Name:  01903FAD-A2E8-4813-91DA-FB000C95B9B1.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  43.3 KB

done.
Name:  78D36E22-559D-44AE-B1A7-983F9F5CF9CB.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  79.6 KB

Old 10-19-2014, 08:46 AM
Nice job Nicco!

What's the quality of the factory speaker wire with the fosgats 6.5's? I too am going to rewire when when the time comes, but if the wire is 8 gauge and half decent I might tap in to it instead.

good taste in speakers by the way!

Old 10-19-2014, 04:33 PM
Thanks, I was considering going for splits but decided to go with the simplicity of co-ax and was able to get the Power series co-ax speakers for less that the Punch series splits.

The difference of just swapping all four speakers is amazing and if I hadn't already bought the sub I would be tempted to just stop here. The speaker wire is only thin but I can take the factory head unit to max volume with no distortion in the speakers.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:56 PM
Thanks, I was considering going for splits but decided to go with the simplicity of co-ax and was able to get the Power series co-ax speakers for less that the Punch series splits.

The difference of just swapping all four speakers is amazing and if I hadn't already bought the sub I would be tempted to just stop here. The speaker wire is only thin but I can take the factory head unit to max volume with no distortion in the speakers.
Good to know. I think i will go with the power coax in the rear and splits in the front, assuming the tweeter placement isn't a nightmare.

also glad the stock wiring isn't terrible. This saves a bunch of time and money!

Old 10-19-2014, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
Took some pics of the front door install. You can undo the honda plugs and remove the terminals to hook up the speakers.

Gently lift the tabs on either side of the T shape in the middle. The one on the right has been lifted. As you are doing this put gentle tension on the plug and the terminals will slide out as they are released.

I just rigged this up as an interim solution until I eventually rewire the speakers from the amp. They were then wrapped in electrical tape. The existing negative terminal just slipped onto my speaker's terminal.

done.
Question for you, are you currently powering the speakers you installed with the factory HU? I know you mentioned you have an MTX amp and plan on buying another amp but was curious how the speakers currently sound being run by the factory HU

Last edited by NoVAFit; 10-19-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:03 PM
sorry for slow reply, to answer your question they sound great to the point where I lost momentum and am yet to install the amp and sub.

I am going to get back on the horse soon and will post more picks as I go.