Backup cameras depth Perception seems way off?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
Backup cameras depth Perception seems way off?!

Sorry, if this is a double post for some of you who are members of the Fit Facebook Group. I'm trying to see if everybody else is experiencing the same problem...

Iv noticed that my backup cameras depth perception is WAY off. I can be maybe 6inches from hitting something, yet in the camera it looks have about 2-4ft of clearance?

Im using the middle 45degree mode and it took me a couple of days to actually notice how off the perception really is. I scared the crap out of myself because I was looking and the camera and had PLENTY of room..looked out the side mirror and I was RIGHT on a car...was pretty close hitting it!

I honestly feel its more of a safety concern than actual safety "feature". It's really deceiving! Wonder if I software update could be a easy fix?

Old 10-14-2014, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
I guess I've never investigated the different lines. I was told by my dealer that the dotted line was the closest I could be and still open the hatch. It's actually come in really useful. It does require a proper guess when backing up to something. Imagine backing up to a wall and putting the dotted line on the base of the wall versus backing up and imagining the line is touching the wall at a height equivalent to the bumper height.

I'm sharing this tidbit as a note to how mine is calibrated. If I back up to a wall and put the dotted line on the base. I have maybe three inches between the hatch and the wall as it's opened.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
adigital - that's just how fisheye lenses work - the center appears to stay further away and the edges are distorted. The reason why they use fisheye lenses (or focal lengths close to fisheye, anyways) in backup and dash cams is so that they can capture action around the edges of the camera. If they weren't that short, you could easily back over a pedestrian if you're using the camera for 100% of your view (which you should definitely not be doing anyhow).

The info from Cyclingfit is awesomely useful. I'll be glad to know that when my car comes so I can test that out. Follow their advice and you should be good to go.

Edit - I was poking through the tech reference guide and you can actually switch it to a normal view using icons on the screen when the backup camera is on.

Last edited by mightyack; 10-15-2014 at 03:31 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:46 AM
5 Year Member
This car has amazing rear view... I don't get why you would need to use the back up cam. I'm so used to cars without it and don't even realize I have it lol. I always turn around. It should be used more of a crutch when you are trying to parallel park in tight spaces.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by JN2k108
This car has amazing rear view... I don't get why you would need to use the back up cam. I'm so used to cars without it and don't even realize I have it lol. I always turn around. It should be used more of a crutch when you are trying to parallel park in tight spaces.
Real easy JN2K. Have seen stories of small kids playing near the back of a parked car getting hit. Duh, real nice to see them before backing up don't you think ? And no, you cannot see a small child behind the rear bumper by turning your head.

Read this if you care about children

http://www.kidsandcars.org/back-overs.html

Last edited by SR45; 10-15-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
In that case... I always back into a parking spot to avoid things like that. It's a lot easier to pull forward especially where small and short children are around and you can't see them while backing up.

I personally do not have children and always look out for them.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:47 PM
The reason that the Fit has a backup camera is that they are mandated for all vehicles by 2018. Since this is within the production life of the GK platform Honda included the feature now.

The NHTSA estimates that backup cameras will prevent 0.23% of automotive fatalities (70 out of 31,000).

Nobody has estimated how many will be killed by distracted drivers operating the new complex touch-screen displays for other functions while driving.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
This is more of a valid reason that they chose to do this. Do you had a source for this?

Old 10-15-2014, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
NHTSA backup cameras required

Last edited by Fitmo; 10-15-2014 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by JN2k108
I don't get why you wouldn't use it if you have it, unless your eyes are on long stalks.

It saved me from running over my gardener's dog the other day. The dog had parked itself right behind my car and I couldn't see it until I used the backup cam. Small dogs, small children, various objects I don't want to backup over.

I love that darn backup cam.

Last edited by Zute; 10-16-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:26 AM
Originally Posted by adigitalcure
Sorry, if this is a double post for some of you who are members of the Fit Facebook Group. I'm trying to see if everybody else is experiencing the same problem...

Iv noticed that my backup cameras depth perception is WAY off. I can be maybe 6inches from hitting something, yet in the camera it looks have about 2-4ft of clearance?

Im using the middle 45degree mode and it took me a couple of days to actually notice how off the perception really is. I scared the crap out of myself because I was looking and the camera and had PLENTY of room..looked out the side mirror and I was RIGHT on a car...was pretty close hitting it!

I honestly feel its more of a safety concern than actual safety "feature". It's really deceiving! Wonder if I software update could be a easy fix?

I agree with ALL of Adigitalcure's observations regarding the backup cameras.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:14 PM
The backup camera is actually the most useful thing of the new Fit - much better than that radio.

I for one used to mock people who relied solely on backup cameras and I still do, since ... I like using my side mirrors and rear view mirror. Never in my mind did I ever think to own a car that would have backup camera as standard.

But having one in this Fit, despite how small the car is, made me change my perspective on them. See ... I realized that when sandwiched in between two large cars (Vans and SUVs) in a parking spot, the backup camera is wide enough to show any vehicles coming down from my left or right. This is something that I would not be able to see if I turned my head to check my rear. It's really neat!

I've showed people the "fisheye" wide viewing angle of this thing and they all agree it's something they never realized. But man has it saved me some headaches in regards to people suddenly walking into my behind or a car driving pass it.

I can flip my car into Reverse, look at the screen, see no car or pedestrian coming down, and start backing up without having to second guess if a car was coming down the road just because I was sandwiched in between two big cars. And do understand ... some places don't let cars park backing in.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by noripwr
The backup camera is actually the most useful thing of the new Fit - much better than that radio.

I for one used to mock people who relied solely on backup cameras and I still do, since ... I like using my side mirrors and rear view mirror. Never in my mind did I ever think to own a car that would have backup camera as standard.

But having one in this Fit, despite how small the car is, made me change my perspective on them. See ... I realized that when sandwiched in between two large cars (Vans and SUVs) in a parking spot, the backup camera is wide enough to show any vehicles coming down from my left or right. This is something that I would not be able to see if I turned my head to check my rear. It's really neat!

I've showed people the "fisheye" wide viewing angle of this thing and they all agree it's something they never realized. But man has it saved me some headaches in regards to people suddenly walking into my behind or a car driving pass it.

I can flip my car into Reverse, look at the screen, see no car or pedestrian coming down, and start backing up without having to second guess if a car was coming down the road just because I was sandwiched in between two big cars. And do understand ... some places don't let cars park backing in.
I've couldn't have said it better. What a HUGE difference the backup cam has made.

When I got a Civic to use while my Fit was getting the front bumper upgrade, oh how I learned how nice the Fit's right camera is too. I hated using that small Civic right side mirror for lane changing. I'm spoiled sick already on those cameras.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:40 AM
5 Year Member
Here's another rear-camera convert. I've got my mirrors full out such that I have to move my head a foot or so in either direction to see my own car--and I still see more to the rear with the backup camera. Once I found what the lines represent (1, 2, and 3 meters), it's become even more useful. I REALLY like the dynamic lines on the EX up models. The Fit tracks exactly where they go. The LaneWatch is also great--it really helps parallel parking on that side. I still use the mirrors though.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:02 PM
Move camera?

I'm looking for a way to mount my backup camera up around the top of th window or under the spoiler, looking down so as to see the car's surroundings better.

Wondering where all the wiring is to move the camera.

BTW - I only get 2 B/U camera views: with lines and without lines.

-Oly