3rd Generation GK Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the third generation Honda Fit (GK)

What are you guys running for offset?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 03:23 PM
A few better photos. Seems 15x6.5 +45 offset with a 205/50/15 were the magic numbers for me.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:53 AM
jhn
Looks good.

As a Chicago area native, I can tell you the taller profile tire and lower off-set will be better for the crappy Illinois streets.

Here's what mine looks like. No rubbing at all:

Last edited by jhn; 04-05-2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:11 AM
Looks good, I'm contemplating putting my factory tires on the circuit 10's. I hate the road noise associated with the dunlop direzza's that came with the wheels.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:47 PM
jhn
Originally Posted by mahout
if your offset is 45 mm you can easily mount 185/55x16 tires on appropriate rims. if its 40 mm not so good. why not 6mm spacers on 53mm OEM bringing offset to 47mm?you can't tell the difference between 45 and 47 mm offset wheels/tires and that surely works.

the width of the wheel rim has no effect on the placement of the tire; the offset moves the centerline of the tire out (or in) from the hub. Since the tire splits evenly on each side of the centerline only the width of the wire tread itself will rub if the offset is pushed out enough and/or the width of the tire tread is wide enough. If you don't want to alter the fenderwell stick with 45 mm offset. You can also get about 47 mm offset with 6 mm (1/4")spacers on the hubs behind the wheels if you want a lesser cost item
be forewarned than modifying your fenders can easily result in a no trade-in situation because dealers have been bitten enough that mods are verbotten. .If your fit can't be returned to OEM its not advisable.
ps spacers with thicknesses greater than 6 mm will result in lugnuts on too short lugbolts until you replace the lugnuts with longer ones. the engineering rule is the nut must fully engage the bolt for at least the diameter of the bolt. for 12 mm lugs that's 8 full turns after the nut fully grabs the 12x1.5 bolt. the nut screws 1.5 mm per revolution so to get 12 mm it takes 8 fully engaged revolutions.
as a side note if you dosomething like that and your insurance company finds out you may have just defeated your insurance coverage.
Modifying a vehicle has lots of caveats nowdays so make sure you do it right. that includes making sure your lugnuts match the wheels you have.
The main reason I don't use the OEM wheels is because I don't like the way they look and I want something lighter. However, I will use them without a doubt before I'll use an undesirably fitting aftermarket wheel. I wish there was a wider selection of +45 or more off-set (but not more than +63, that's the limit on this car); there just aren't out there for some reason.

I understand how rim width isn't as important as off-set, but it can still be a factor, yes? If a 7" rim of the same off-set (let say +40 just as an example even though I know it clears) makes contact with a suspension component (wheel contact, not tire) or if the wheel/tire inserts into the fender well pretty deep, a wider rim could cause sidewall contact with the fender. Couldn't a 6" width w/ same + 40 off-set alleviate the issue?

This is what I suspect was happening with my car-- the fender liner push pin was contacting the sidewall (between the scrub line and rim bead). In this instance, can't a narrower rim clear inner workings, as well as pull the sidewall in a bit?

Rim width can effect the footprint profile at operating inflation as well, but that's another thread.

Last edited by jhn; 04-10-2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by jhn
The main reason I don't use the OEM wheels is because I don't like the way they look and I want something lighter. However, I will use them without a doubt before I'll use an undesirably fitting aftermarket wheel. I wish there was a wider selection of +45 or more off-set (but not more than +63, that's the limit on this car); there just aren't out there for some reason.

I understand how rim width isn't as important as off-set, but it can still be a factor, yes? If a 7" rim of the same off-set (let say +40 just as an example even though I know it clears) makes contact with a suspension component (wheel contact, not tire) or if the wheel/tire inserts into the fender well pretty deep, a wider rim could cause sidewall contact with the fender. Couldn't a 6" width w/ same + 40 off-set alleviate the issue?

This is what I suspect was happening with my car-- the fender liner push pin was contacting the sidewall (between the scrub line and rim bead). In this instance, can't a narrower rim clear inner workings, as well as pull the sidewall in a bit?

Rim width can effect the footprint profile at operating inflation as well, but that's another thread.
I suspect the limited availability of +45 and over offset is because very few people like the look of a wheel that's more inside the wheel well than out. The wider stance looks better in almost all applications. Most wheels that I have seen of the same offset as stock or close (+50, +53) are OEM wheels/ new old stock for the Honda Civic, Fit, Accord, etc. My tires are chosen but I've been looking at wheels for weeks now and so far, about 95% of what I have seen is either +38, +40 or +42. Also the fact that the bolt pattern is 4 X 100 does not help. 4 bolts are not as common as 5 it seems.

16 X 6 or 6.5 vs 16 X 7 should logically help with rubbing issues as well. I've searched for a few narrower rims and the choice is rather slim if you want a 45 offset as well. Some of them are really light which is cool but the cost is prohibitive (Gram Lights namely). There are many things to consider besides rubbing issues... Weight, handling (in direct relation to wheel width), price, looks, etc.

I find it bizarre that Honda didn't allow for much clearance in the front. The fender liner could be less obtrusive than it is.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:25 PM
jhn
There are a number of other makes/models of cars that share the 4-100 BCD; without researching it I'm guessing the lesser off-sets might fit them better?

It's possible the wheel well liner interference is deliberate. I wouldn't doubt it if Honda deliberately makes it difficult. Reducing the off-set drastically, like I have seen on some Fits, can cause some negative handling traits, like bump steer issues. Front wheel drive can even make this worse.

Seriously, I've seen some of these cars with 8" + width wheels with +30 or less off-set (spacers added too) and I suspect there has to be some serious handling issues, especially under braking and acceleration. With these little under powered cars there's no practical reason to have a rim over 7" width if you ask me.

There's good reason the engineers select the things they do and it's not some arbitrary numbers. It's thoroughly thought out and tested.

Last edited by jhn; 04-11-2015 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by jhn

There's good reason the engineers select the things they do and it's not some arbitrary numbers. It's thoroughly thought out and tested.
That's true. People will still find a way to do whatever they want with what they have though. Trying to force people who buy cars to stick to what the engineers thought was perfect is an exercise in futility and worse, it can make enthusiasts like ourselves look elsewhere.

Personally, I don't think the car is underpowered. People get carried away by horse power numbers and engine size. People who have this car appreciate it for what it is. It's a subcompact that is technologically advanced with a solid level of comfort, roominess and low fuel consumption.

What I like about this car is that if you push it, it can provide very decent acceleration and if you want to be a gas miser, it will provide that as well. Few cars do these 2 things so well.

In any case, I find my original steel wheels ugly as hell. There is no way they are going to stay on. The 16" OEM mags are not much better IMHO.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:41 PM
5 Year Member
Im running 17x7.5+35 with 205 tires. it only rub a little when i hit a dip in the front.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:53 PM
jhn
Is it lowered with stock camber?

Old 05-19-2015, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jhn
Is it lowered with stock camber?
lowered with swift springs, stock camber.
Name:  image1%208_zpsr5qbvscr.jpg
Views: 7044
Size:  113.6 KB

Name:  image2%205_zpssegvpikn.jpg
Views: 7302
Size:  71.2 KB

Old 05-20-2015, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mtsui
lowered with swift springs, stock camber.

Ones for old gen or the new ones for gk?

Running 205x40x17 on 17x7.5 38ET, no rubbing though fronts stick out a bit.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:59 PM
CN Fit, as far as I know the newer Swift springs for the GK5 model are not out yet. They say mid summer. I'm waiting for them.

There is a good reason why the specs have changed on the new model. It's logical that if the suspension is different on the GK5, the springs specifications would be as well. It appears some people just couldn't wait.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:01 PM
mtsui, the wheels look really good. The white on blue works.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:13 PM
Here's my setup for now

Enkei EDR 9's 16 X 7 and 45 offset in hyper silver with 195/55R16 tires, not lowered. As expected there is no rubbing whatsoever even on hard speed bumps, potholes, whatever. Yes it could use a drop and it might be next.

I wanted to make sure the ride would be as stock before lowering it (no handling issues, no rubbing). It's a little less comfy then the stock 15" on higher profile Firestone's but that was expected.

Name:  car001_zpsl06kqtwk.jpg
Views: 8003
Size:  203.5 KB

Old 05-21-2015, 04:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mikeDF
CN Fit, as far as I know the newer Swift springs for the GK5 model are not out yet. They say mid summer. I'm waiting for them.

There is a good reason why the specs have changed on the new model. It's logical that if the suspension is different on the GK5, the springs specifications would be as well. It appears some people just couldn't wait.
I have the new one for GK, Swift used my car to test it, I installed them personally, and they are very nice, good ride height, but just a little stiff IMO.

I was reading the forum and seeing people using the old gen springs, so i asked them when i was picking up the springs from them, and they said its different springs.

Last edited by mtsui; 05-21-2015 at 04:20 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CN_Fit
Ones for old gen or the new ones for gk?

Running 205x40x17 on 17x7.5 38ET, no rubbing though fronts stick out a bit.
they are for the GK.

yeah, the front stick out a little bit, but i think they looks super nice. now i'm thinking to use spacer in the rear to match the front as you can see the rear still have a lot of room.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member
they are for the GK.

yeah, the front stick out a little bit, but i think they looks super nice. now i'm thinking to use spacer in the rear to match the front as you can see the rear still have a lot of room.
I'm slightly confused about your fronts rubbing, mine are sticking out more than yours and there's no rubbing at all. What have you done with front stops?

Not sure about the spacer. You could use something like 3 mm shim spacer, don't think it needs more.

Do you have part No. available of the springs you bought?

Also, could you please measure distance from the center of the rear wheel to the fender edge?

Last edited by CN_Fit; 05-21-2015 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Added question
Old 05-21-2015, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CN_Fit
I'm slightly confused about your fronts rubbing, mine are sticking out more than yours and there's no rubbing at all. What have you done with front stops?

Not sure about the spacer. You could use something like 3 mm shim spacer, don't think it needs more.

Do you have part No. available of the springs you bought?

Also, could you please measure distance from the center of the rear wheel to the fender edge?
I can hear the rubbing noise when i hit a bump, but its just slightly. is your car lowered? if not, maybe thats why because mine compress more than you did, so it rub the top part of the fender liner.

what do you mean by front stops?

I don't have the part number and i didn't buy those, swift gave them to me to install it and test it. I told them i think its a little stiff, they might lower the springs rate, who knows, thats why its still not on the market yet.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:47 PM
jhn
Originally Posted by mikeDF

What is it that you think is so different about the new Swift springs that prevent rubbing? The only thing it can be is less drop and a stiffer rate. Dimensionally, the geometry is identical and the aftermarket springs designed for the 2nd gen struts fit the third gen as well. The issue is the E.T. Of the wheels, period. Keep the back spacing good and there's no issues. Here's the 2nd gen Konis with H and R springs. They work great. I've got almost 5000 miles on them now. I'm sure glad I didn't wait:

No rubbing here:

Old 05-21-2015, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
I can hear the rubbing noise when i hit a bump, but its just slightly. is your car lowered? if not, maybe thats why because mine compress more than you did, so it rub the top part of the fender liner.

what do you mean by front stops?

I don't have the part number and i didn't buy those, swift gave them to me to install it and test it. I told them i think its a little stiff, they might lower the springs rate, who knows, thats why its still not on the market yet.
Mine is lowered on teins but I'm having different issues.

You might be able to avoid rubbing with some negative camber if you want to get rid of it but I find it strange it rubs at all.

Front stops, rubber bump stops mounted on the upper hub assy. Did you cut those?

Could you please measure the distance between center of the rear wheel and the edge of the rear fender?

Quick Reply: What are you guys running for offset?