"The NEXT" Bay Area Fit Meet

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 06:41 AM
5 Year Member
we're all from the bay area...

Alex-n-Co are from San Francisco, I'm from San Carlos, across from the Hayward/San Mateo bridge.

And we seem to go to Meets where we can actually drive our cars (i mean I went all out at the last meet, I had so much fun.) If we are in a city/town, we can't do crazy stuff like we can do out in themiddle of nowhere, which is quite hard to find here in the Bay Area, cause some places are too dead, or too alive (too many rangers for instance)

Old 10-15-2007, 11:59 AM
I see what you are saying. I have been to a few M3 meets where drivers are able to drive how they want on open roads and even then there are alot of people who drive to fast b/c of all the excitement and get into accidents, forexample I saw an M3 took a corner too fast and understeered into the side of a mountian and an S2000, driven by an older man you would think is more responsible then use yonger adults, fell over a small cliff and his car was hanging from some trees upsidedown, he was lucky he came out alive and not hurt. Hope FIT owners are safe drivers.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:06 PM
Retired Moderator
You have a M3^?

Old 10-15-2007, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
that would be fun! my friend tracks his bike there every so often. he says it's expensive though..
This sounds fun! I've run at thunderhill a couple times and it's a safe place to go all out. Lots of run offs and minimal walls. I'd be totally down for something like this if we could organize it.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by bernardio
This sounds fun! I've run at thunderhill a couple times and it's a safe place to go all out. Lots of run offs and minimal walls. I'd be totally down for something like this if we could organize it.
I am TOTALLY down and would LOVE to do a track day for our Fits! Thunderhill seems like a great place to do it aswell, what do you guys think?
You cant go to Thunderhills website by searching "Thunderhill raceway"..Sorry i dont have the URL at the moment

Old 10-15-2007, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by TOOL
You have a M3^?

My friend has an M3 and I was really considering getting an E36 (1995-1999) M3 but then it would be used, alot of miles, and alot of money to maintain so I started to look at WRX, MR2, Supra, Matrix XRS, Corolla XRS, Integra GSR, Prelude SH, Civic SI, but they would be used. So I looked into the YARIS since I had driven it and liked it but then finally decided to get the FIT because it has more room and has more stuff that is standard that isnt on the Yaris...ie body kit and rims.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:12 PM
Retired Moderator
Ohh i seee..Nice choice with the Fit, although a used Si wouldnt be bad!

Old 10-17-2007, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
yeah. i'd like to go to this meet, but it seems TOO far.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:25 PM
Retired Moderator
yeah. i'd like to go to this meet, but it seems TOO far.
What location is to far for you?

Old 10-17-2007, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
the mount hamilton place is just too far for me lol.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Retired Moderator
Hmmmmmm, where are you located?

Old 10-18-2007, 11:40 AM
Banned
Set up a meet yourself in Vallejo or Benicia or Pleasant Hill and I will come!

Old 10-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by manxman
Set up a meet yourself in Vallejo or Benicia or Pleasant Hill and I will come!
Ill probaly go too!

But solbothers, to be honest these meets we have are worth the drive! They are sooo much fun and all the guys/gals that go are soo down to earth and cool! They are pretty much all day events anyway so the drive really isnt that bad if you think about how long you will be at the meet!

Old 10-19-2007, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member
yeah. you guys are probably right!

Old 10-19-2007, 12:17 PM
fit meet

I think we should set up a mini meet in the east bay or somewhere between oakland and vallejo and SF since there would be atleast 5-6 of us. We should be more familiar with each other so that when we do go to these bigger meets we can go as a small group and we will atleast know each other instead of going there and not knowing anyone.

There is another guy on the honda-tech forum that just bought a FIT that also wants to meet up as well. This will also give me a chance to see what you guys have done to your FIT, whether it would be a big or small mod.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
I don't know any locations worth going to where we can have 'fun', but if you can set one up, like pick the location for at least 15 Honda Fits, then I'm sure everyone would show up =D

Old 10-19-2007, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
where is mount hamilton? san jose?

Old 10-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Banned
where is mount hamilton? san jose?
Yes- From Vallejo,
Hwy. 680 South to the last off ramp (Alum Rock Ave.) before 680 becomes Hwy. 101. Go East on Alum Rock about 1 mile to the sign indicating a right turn to Mt. Hamilton/Lick Observatory. It's about 90 minutes for you to the base of the mountain. If you are good at mountain driving and like spirited driving, you'll love this road. If you are not good at this, this road will scare you to death. Regardless of your skills, don't go in bad weather.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
Yes- From Vallejo,
Hwy. 680 South to the last off ramp (Alum Rock Ave.) before 680 becomes Hwy. 101. Go East on Alum Rock about 1 mile to the sign indicating a right turn to Mt. Hamilton/Lick Observatory. It's about 90 minutes for you to the base of the mountain. If you are good at mountain driving and like spirited driving, you'll love this road. If you are not good at this, this road will scare you to death. Regardless of your skills, don't go in bad weather.
wow! doesn't seem bad at all! lol. i thought it was more like 2.5 hours. i'd definately be interested in going. im free on the weekends. so pick a day, and i'll go!

Old 10-20-2007, 10:47 PM
Banned
wow! doesn't seem bad at all! lol. i thought it was more like 2.5 hours. i'd definately be interested in going. im free on the weekends. so pick a day, and i'll go!
solbrothers, and any other interested Bay Area fitfreaks---

I had intended to go up to the top of Mt. Hamilton to check it out as a destination for a Fit Meet, but have not had the time yet. Here is what I know, and my suggestions for a meet in the near future:

The Lick Observatory is at the top of the mountain at 4290 feet elevation. The road to the observatory is 20 miles long from the base of the mountain on Alum Rock Ave. This coming week, the temperature will be in the mid-80's, but when it starts to get cold, it is VERY cold on the mountain. Snow is common during the winter months.

There is a BIG park about 1/2 way up to the observatory, with huge parking lots, water faucets, restrooms and BBQ grills. All of those features will be useful in spring or summer weather, but there are no shelters to keep the rain off your head if the weather suddenly changes.

Rather than spend months organizing a big meet, I suggest that we pick a weekend soon that works for as many people as possible, but just bring a sandwich lunch that would be quick with no fuss. That way we don't have to spend hours with fires and elaborate food prep. There will be plenty of time for pictures at the park and/or at the observatory, but the DRIVE would be the main purpose of this destination during the months where the weather may have a negative effect.

As a staging area for us to meet and form a caravan, there is a large sporting goods store on Alum Rock Ave.- this is Reed's Sport Shop at 3020 Alum Rock on the right (South) side of the street about 1 1/2 miles East of where you got off the 680 South freeway.

Weekends will bring out a lot of people who can't drive and will get in our way for a fast trip up, and most of this road will have absolutely no place to safely pass. But the views of the valley from the observatory are spectacular, and the buildings on the mountain top would make a great backdrop for your cars.

For the Mt. Diablo meet, it took me about 90 minutes to get there from the Santa Cruz mountains. My guess is that for everyone who was there, as well as for "solbrothers" from Vallejo, this would be a 90 minute trip or less to Reed's Sport Shop. I don't remember the time it takes from there to the top of the mountain, but I am guessing at 40 minutes without traffic. The last time I was there, it was for a night time concert in the observatory itself. My wife and I worked as ushers leading people up narrow little stairs to chairs set up on the circular platform where the astronomers move from telescope to telescope during their normal work activities. The builder of the observatory, James Lick, is buried in a tomb under the platform.

So, anyone who is interested in this trip, pick a weekend after this one and start a list. I will come and lead the parade as long as I am not putting on my Skunk2 rear disc brakes whenever this comes together.

Dave

Last edited by manxman; 10-20-2007 at 10:50 PM.

Quick Reply: "The NEXT" Bay Area Fit Meet