Car Shows, Events, and Racing Announcements, discussions, news reports, and pictures for Car Shows, Race Events, Media Events, and Group Drive Events. Please post Event Location in the Thread Title since this is an International Forum!

2011 Fall Dragon Run...Oct 6th-9th

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 09:33 AM
Tressel is crooked and should go to the SEC with his methods, he'd "FIT" right in down there. One of the guys meeting us down there is just about done with Factory 5 Daytona coupe' and he's a HUGE Vols fan, actually, just about every car down there has an orange T on it somewhere. College football is really, really big down there. Michigan hasn't held up their end of the rivalry recently, hopefully the new coach fixes that....QUICKLY!

Old 05-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Rumor has it there's only 4 cabins left as of today, so if you wanna go out with us in the fall, call now and reserve the cabin. If need be, there are other cabins only 3 miles away from us and we pass them on our way into town, so you'll not be out of the loop, trust me.

BTW, Jim here is only staying one night, so you could possibly get his cabin for Saturday night but like I said, you've gotta call.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Lightbulb

*Bump for important info for those looking to go*

Old 05-08-2011, 01:44 AM
5 Year Member
always wanted to do a dragon run. Me and some friends are thinking about heading down there this sumer.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
Two nights for me

I just added a second night to my Dragon weekend. I should get to Caney Creek Village late Friday afternoon. Since I plan to have fun driving all day Saturday, I figured it would be better to get a night of rest and take it easy driving home on Sunday.

I'm assuming that a stocked cooler is in order for Friday/Saturday night? Since I'll be miles from home and sans family, I'll be able to bring along a few cigars. REALLY looking forward to this getaway.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:48 PM
EVERY night after the Dragon runs is about hangin' out around the campfire and crackin' open your beverage of choice....and lighting up the stoggie The cabins are fully furnished, so you'll be able to put your brew in there and keep in cold while your out doing some hot driving!

The rest of you guys looking to go, don't wait too much longer, we'd like to keep our entire group in one area (Caney Creek) but if need be, the cabins down by the Tellico River (3 miles away) is another option for you. This is why I'm saying to book your cabin now, you don't need to pre-pay as I've got great repore with the owner, Dixie. Just tell her your with "Roger from Deeetroit" and your in, no problem

ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY DAYS TO GO!

Old 05-10-2011, 01:49 AM
I've been meaning to tell you, I reserved a cabin. And you're right, Dixie is about as awesome as you can possibly imagine. I can't wait to meet her in person!

I think there's just one more big cabin and a couple of the "no-commode" cabins left.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:17 AM
etf
5 Year Member
The wife & I took our fits to the Dragon on Mother's day. Great weather, great fun!

The mountains are calling us:

FEB110508_094342.jpg?t=1305025362

a scenic overlook:

FEB110508_125400.jpg?t=1305025610FEB110508_130230.jpg?t=1305025649

Driving the Dragon:

129_photo_1_5-8-11.jpg?t=1305025760
129_photo_2_5-8-11.jpg?t=1305025760
kboy5811-1.jpg?t=1305025901

See you guys in October!

Old 05-10-2011, 05:27 PM
EFT, your wheels are awesome, black chrome FTW! Do you have a profile shot of the car(s) with them on? BTW, call Dixie and reserve your cabin ASAP, OK! No money and/or payment is needed, just tell Dixie your with "Roger from Deeetroit" and your all set. Caney Creek Village in Tellico Plains, Tennessee BTW, will you guys be bringing the pair of Fits again in Oct? The more the merrier!

149 days to go!

Old 05-10-2011, 05:44 PM
I wish my Fit really looked like this!

Name:  honda-1.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  163.2 KB

We will be a colorful group, we will be fun group and we will be a "tightFit" group

Old 05-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Gorgeous pics, and gorgeous cars! How did you get those 3rd-person shots, did you hire a photographer?

Old 05-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Question

Originally Posted by Tauwolf
I've been meaning to tell you, I reserved a cabin. And you're right, Dixie is about as awesome as you can possibly imagine. I can't wait to meet her in person!

I think there's just one more big cabin and a couple of the "no-commode" cabins left.
Good job Tauwolf, I will add you to our list, what's your actual name?

Old 05-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Brian Sobb. Hopefully my girlfriend Lisa will be able to join me, too!

Old 05-10-2011, 06:05 PM
etf
5 Year Member
Klasse Cat:

Here's the profile shot:

FEB110508_131614.jpg?t=1305064534

The wheels are actually painted gloss black and they have machined details on the edges of all the spokes. They really look like they're black chrome but they're not. Here's a close-up:

Wheelclose-up.jpg?t=1305064428

Roger, click here:
Did you Know?

Old 05-10-2011, 06:12 PM
etf
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tauwolf
Gorgeous pics, and gorgeous cars! How did you get those 3rd-person shots, did you hire a photographer?
There are a number of photographers stationed along the Dragon. They have websites where they display their digital images for a given day and you can buy them on a CD or whatever they offer. The premier photography site for the Dragon is killboy.com They have done very well with their business. What a great way to make a good living and dwell in some of the most beautiful country in the USA.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:54 AM
5 Year Member
This might be possible for me... So much could change before October but it could happen. I wonder if there's anywhere I can get leaded race fuel down there. For some reason if I commit, I'm sure my fit would decide to blow another headgasket a week before hand .

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 05-12-2011 at 01:57 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
No, I changed my mind, I am absolutely positively going. How do I join up / make a reservation?

Old 05-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
No, I changed my mind, I am absolutely positively going. How do I join up / make a reservation?
Caney Creek Village in Tellico Plains, Tennessee Ask for Dixie and tell her your with the group with "Roger from Deeeetroit". Also, check the very first post here in this thread and you'll get all the info you need. BTW there's a new gas station in Robinsville that has leaded race gas, how do you do that with O2 sensors?

When you get your cabin, post here and/or drop me a PM and I'll add you to our master list over at our homebase The Contour Enthusiasts Group. This is where we started doing this run and many of us have stayed friends throught the years. I've been organizing this run since 2003 and all the people that go have ALWAYS had a great time, how could you not! Our location is perfect too because its 3.5 miles from the beginning of the Cherahola Skyway, a 57 mile drive through the mountains to get to the Dragon! Some say they like this road more than the Dragon, and I guess its your call on that but I will say this about the Skyway, your suspension gets a workout up there, you can carry some serious speed if your not careful. More people have died on the Skyway than the Dragon, just sayin', not trying to scare you but inform you. Speaking of that, ASSHAT-ERY is NOT tolerated on our run, not saying you will do anything but to all noobs I must always bring this up. We had an incident last year and they guy just went back to his hotel, got his things and went home, seriously....all the way to Michigan! He had an Alero w/a big turbo and it was basically a drag car w/ some suspension work and him and everyone was told to take it easy your first time out and he didn't listen and almost took out a bike.

Now, there was only 1 regular cabin left earlier this week and the rest of them are stripped down ones, some w/o a shower or bathroom but no worries there, you can use one our cabins for that, just bring your own towels, we did this last year for some of the guys because they couldn't get a cabin with them or wanted to save some money because those cabins are dirt cheap! Speaking of dirt cheap, one guy even brought a tent, that was only $10.00 a night for the spot! This particular guy was so impressed by the Dragon that he went out and bought a Miata for the run this year, this is just one of those stories that will always be remembered by us. The make up of our group is pretty diverse too, from Dillon, the guy with the Miata who's 20 to myself who's 41 and my step Dad who's gone with us the past 2 years who's 61 years young. He just laughs when he's out there because its so much fun. We've got white collar guys and blue collar as well, like myself and the nice thing about it is, we're all out there for the same thing....TO SLAY THE DRAGON! After each nights fun everyone gathers around the campfire to drink, if you like to do that and exchange stories about the days events. Then, come the morning, you get ready to do it all over again. Because of the size of our group last year, 26, we've broke things up a bit because its impossible to keep everyone together and besides, with all the noobs going we need to stop and take pics along the way, no problem. Its ok though because we've got a main meeting spot at the end of the Dragon (we call it the end because the road begins to straighten out a bit)

Then there's the night run, this is really for those vets but sometimes a noob steps up and wants to do it and to that I say this....THINK ABOUT IT! There's NO lights out there, nothing because there's no homes or business, nothing but Mother Nature and the moon and stars to guide you. The moon is so bright on a clear night that it acts as light on the road, a little bit. Last year was my first night run and I ran the hell out of the Fit, I even scarred the shoulders of the tires while doing this and had the brakes smoking when we stopped in Deal's Gap to "get ourselves together"

147 days to go!

Old 05-12-2011, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Klasse Act
Caney Creek Village in Tellico Plains, Tennessee Ask for Dixie and tell her your with the group with "Roger from Deeeetroit". Also, check the very first post here in this thread and you'll get all the info you need. BTW there's a new gas station in Robinsville that has leaded race gas, how do you do that with O2 sensors?

When you get your cabin, post here and/or drop me a PM and I'll add you to our master list over at our homebase The Contour Enthusiasts Group. This is where we started doing this run and many of us have stayed friends throught the years. I've been organizing this run since 2003 and all the people that go have ALWAYS had a great time, how could you not! Our location is perfect too because its 3.5 miles from the beginning of the Cherahola Skyway, a 57 mile drive through the mountains to get to the Dragon! Some say they like this road more than the Dragon, and I guess its your call on that but I will say this about the Skyway, your suspension gets a workout up there, you can carry some serious speed if your not careful. More people have died on the Skyway than the Dragon, just sayin', not trying to scare you but inform you. Speaking of that, ASSHAT-ERY is NOT tolerated on our run, not saying you will do anything but to all noobs I must always bring this up. We had an incident last year and they guy just went back to his hotel, got his things and went home, seriously....all the way to Michigan! He had an Alero w/a big turbo and it was basically a drag car w/ some suspension work and him and everyone was told to take it easy your first time out and he didn't listen and almost took out a bike.

Now, there was only 1 regular cabin left earlier this week and the rest of them are stripped down ones, some w/o a shower or bathroom but no worries there, you can use one our cabins for that, just bring your own towels, we did this last year for some of the guys because they couldn't get a cabin with them or wanted to save some money because those cabins are dirt cheap! Speaking of dirt cheap, one guy even brought a tent, that was only $10.00 a night for the spot! This particular guy was so impressed by the Dragon that he went out and bought a Miata for the run this year, this is just one of those stories that will always be remembered by us. The make up of our group is pretty diverse too, from Dillon, the guy with the Miata who's 20 to myself who's 41 and my step Dad who's gone with us the past 2 years who's 61 years young. He just laughs when he's out there because its so much fun. We've got white collar guys and blue collar as well, like myself and the nice thing about it is, we're all out there for the same thing....TO SLAY THE DRAGON! After each nights fun everyone gathers around the campfire to drink, if you like to do that and exchange stories about the days events. Then, come the morning, you get ready to do it all over again. Because of the size of our group last year, 26, we've broke things up a bit because its impossible to keep everyone together and besides, with all the noobs going we need to stop and take pics along the way, no problem. Its ok though because we've got a main meeting spot at the end of the Dragon (we call it the end because the road begins to straighten out a bit)

Then there's the night run, this is really for those vets but sometimes a noob steps up and wants to do it and to that I say this....THINK ABOUT IT! There's NO lights out there, nothing because there's no homes or business, nothing but Mother Nature and the moon and stars to guide you. The moon is so bright on a clear night that it acts as light on the road, a little bit. Last year was my first night run and I ran the hell out of the Fit, I even scarred the shoulders of the tires while doing this and had the brakes smoking when we stopped in Deal's Gap to "get ourselves together"

147 days to go!
This is so exciting. No worries, I might come across as hostile or douchey, on the forums, but irl I couldn't be more easy going. Just because I have the turbo, doesn't mean I have something to prove. I can see how an asshat could quickly spoil an entire day but it seems like you do a good job of keeping everyone's expectations in order.

Anyway, It sounds like it'll be a great time. It'll be great to enjoy the company of fellow gearheads. I also happen to be something of a beer snob, so I wouldn't be showing up with a 30 pack of keystone...

I could probably even bring my 'kickass' tent.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 05-12-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Hey Lyon, that's not a tent that's a mansion! Did you call Dixie to reserve a tent spot with us yet

147 days to go everyone!

Quick Reply: 2011 Fall Dragon Run...Oct 6th-9th