Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

OIL, filter, maintance minder questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 03:31 AM
HID Addict
bump

i need to know >.< im goin out 20 miles and pep boys is in the area, goin today >.< plz respond..

Old 07-03-2009, 01:07 PM
HID Addict
BUUMMPP -wines-

Old 07-03-2009, 04:57 PM
What is it you want to know? What size oil filter you need? Sizing will be specific to individual product lines and companies . . . just look it up in the book @ the auto parts store. Or check Royal Purple's website for applications.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:05 PM
HID Addict
yea i just called pep boys. i didnt think they would have a catalog of part sizes for cars until like 30 min ago lol and your right, its different part numbers for each brand, didnt think it worked liked that, no wonder no one answered part number is 10-2867 for royal purple oil filter gunna see if i can find the right size so i know what oil filter wrench to get.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:21 PM
oil change thoughts

I know that many high dollar Euproean dealers change ALL the oils in their cars at 1000 km. All moving parts give up small particles as the wear into each other and its these little micro peices of metal that cauae initial wear. Its necessary and unavoidable to have this wear, its part of seating and breaking in. However its also good to get that stuff out and replace it with new oil that is free of such particles When my Fit gets to
500 hundred miles I will have the transmission serviced and the oil and filter (assuming there is a filter) replaced with syntetic oil. The engine oil and filter will be changed and replaced with Shell RotellaT synthetic
5w40 . Its a diesel engine oil that still contains all the zinc and phosphates that are now missing from auto oils. Most racing oils contain these as well. Just my two bits here but Ive always done that and have had outstanding tranny and engine life in many rigs. I know its not a Fit engine,, but I have a Chevy V8 that has over 500,000 miles on it and still working great and a Yamaha bike with 62,000. Clean oil rules.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
There are reasons why automotive oils don't have those levels of zinc and phosphorus, however, such as greatly increasing the life of the catalytic converter. There's some great oil info in this thread also...

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...bil-1-oil.html

Old 10-05-2009, 09:19 PM
5w-20/5w30 is cool your motor will be fine either or. 5w-20 is said on the cap so yeah. only difference is the thickness of the oil. its not a big difference.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:48 PM
please advise/help

Hello guys!
I’m new here. Please can you help me with my questions?
We bought a 09’ Fit and I changed oil at Firestones 2 times, and at Valvoline last time.
So, soon I’ll go to my dealer for the next oil change(4th). They sent me a coupon and besides I want to be serviced at a dealer just in case (for future guarantee)
However, I am afraid that dealer can void guarantee because of the oil (on my 2nd oil change Firestone put 5w30 instead of 5w20) and also I’m not sure about their filter (Firestone TF2876). Do you think that dealer can’t void guarantee because of it? I attached all customer service invoices from Firestone and Valvoline to my Honda service history book, because I think the dealer will ask for them.

I’ll appreciate your help.

P.S. Also, do you think the dealer will try to offer me some extra service, besides the oil change, for extra money? What I should tell them, how to behave correctly to not be fooled or anything? I really want to change oil and filter only. (my milage is now 14.700)

Last edited by Dushash; 10-06-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dushash
Hello guys!
I’m new here. Please can you help me with my questions?
We bought a 09’ Fit and I changed oil at Firestones 2 times, and at Valvoline last time.
So, soon I’ll go to my dealer for the next oil change(4th). They sent me a coupon and besides I want to be serviced at a dealer just in case (for future guarantee)
However, I am afraid that dealer can void guarantee because of the oil (on my 2nd oil change Firestone put 5w30 instead of 5w20) and also I’m not sure about their filter (Firestone TF2876). Do you think that dealer can’t void guarantee because of it? I attached all customer service invoices from Firestone and Valvoline to my Honda service history book, because I think the dealer will ask for them.

I’ll appreciate your help.

P.S. Also, do you think the dealer will try to offer me some extra service, besides the oil change, for extra money? What I should tell them, how to behave correctly to not be fooled or anything? I really want to change oil and filter only. (my milage is now 14.700)
You do not have to have your car serviced by a dealer. You do not have to use honda filters (they are crap anyway, made by fram, the worst). As long as the oil has the A.P.I. rating & the filter meets manufacturer's specs & most do, you are protected by law. You owe the dealer nothing. Just keep all receipts & or invoices from the store you purchased your parts from. They can not void your warranty over the grade of the oil and it won't hurt a thing. Please don't fear the dealer there are laws protecting you from the past practices they were so well known for.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ArdentAzn
I apologize ahead if this is redundant...

I understand that the recommended viscosity is 5-20W or 5-30W. I have some a few 10-30s/10-40s Mobil-1s left overs from my old Honda... I was wondering if I can mix in 1 qt of the 10-30W or 10-40W each oil change. Will that make any difference??? Any negative effect???

Thanks!
No negative effects.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spreadhead
What I did was to get a Fomoto Valve (to reduce wear and tear to the delicate threads of the aluminum oil pan) and then not worry about the damn washer.
I have been changing oil on motorcycle and automobile engines with aluminum cases/pans (mostly Hondas) for more than 40 years, and I have never damaged the threads. They are not delicate. You have to be really clutzy to damage them.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Selden
I have been changing oil on motorcycle and automobile engines with aluminum cases/pans (mostly Hondas) for more than 40 years
Do you want a cookie?

P.S. HOLY DELAYED REPLY BATMAN!!

Old 10-16-2009, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rubba Burna
yea i just called pep boys. i didnt think they would have a catalog of part sizes for cars until like 30 min ago lol and your right, its different part numbers for each brand, didnt think it worked liked that, no wonder no one answered part number is 10-2867 for royal purple oil filter gunna see if i can find the right size so i know what oil filter wrench to get.
Nothing better than your hands