Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Unique oil change question/concern...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
Unique oil change question/concern...

Okay, so hey guys... if anyone out there can give me a suggestion, this would be great...

I've come across a weird situation - my oil life is about 25% (it's been on 30% for a little bit so i assume it's actually less now) So I'm going to be due for an oil change soon.
I've got everything ready to go, but I'm leaving for the next two weeks to see family for the holidays. Which means my fit will be parked for two weeks. I've got sta-bil for the gas - even though two weeks isn't terribly long, it's better safe than sorry.
The airport I'm flying out of is about a 60 mile drive for me. So, my main question/concern is should I change my oil before or after I come back? Will it make a difference if older oil will sit for 2 weeks versus fresh oil sitting for 2 weeks?
And also, if anyone else has any suggestions or tips for me for parking my fit for two weeks that will prevent any chance of me coming back to it not starting or anything like that, I'd be much appreciative. This is the first time I'll have to do this, hopefully the last...
I plan on putting a car cover on it in the airport lot, if it's an open lot, versus a parking garage/structure. (I've not been to particular one yet)
Also, for those in the central/northern florida are, I'm flying out of the St. Augustine Airport, so any local tips you may have for parking would also be great...

Anyway, anything anyone can suggest to help me prep, much thanks in advance!!

Old 12-16-2007, 03:59 PM
change it when you're back...it doesn't lubricate moving parts when it sits, so you'll be fine...

Old 12-16-2007, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
Wait until you get back to change oil. Don't waste your time money, and effort using stabil for two weeks.