Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

DIY: Bolt on Projector Lens

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bdk323
Hey just some questions for fit of rage. I did not get my kit from
the group buy I purchaced them somewhere else my question to you
is when someone asked about where the projectors are from
your answer is a FX45 I'm just wondering because my projector is
the same as your DIY projector and it is by no means a FX45 projector
it may be like it but it did not actually come off that car and my other
question is about the bulb replacement you say it's a normal d2s bulb
but thats not what is in the projector, it's specific to the housing
and if you have to replace it maybe you can put d2s bulbs in and it will
work but thats not what's in there right now the d2s bulb doesn't not
even have the same connection maybe I'm just missing something
Please educate me I'm not trying to step on anyone's toe's just wanting
to find out

Wwll, i can't speak about someone's product so i have no idea what kind of projectors they are using and the bulb type.

As for my product, they are FX45 projectors AND they are D2S bulbs. You can change them very easily. All you have to do is purchase a adapter for the bulb so that they fit the ballasts, which i have in stock.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:17 AM
5 Year Member
I know you cannot speak for other peoples product but please show me what FX45
projector is threaded in the back like your's are or which FX45 projector has a angel
eye in it no stock projector I have ever seen looks like this I just don't know where
you are coming from when you keep saying they are. They are great for what they are
I have done retro's on other cars and know whats involved it's a little more work
than these thats what makes them great is the ease of installation. I have googled
FX45 projectors and they look nothing like the one in the DIY so I ask again how are your
projectors FX45 maybe I'm missing something here are you selling some other kit I have
not seen.Also in your diy you can clearly see the back of the bulb and it is not a stock d2s bulb it is specific to the housing that is not to say a stock d2s bulb will not work can you give me more insight here

Old 05-25-2009, 08:54 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
I know you cannot speak for other peoples product but please show me what FX45
projector is threaded in the back like your's are or which FX45 projector has a angel
eye in it no stock projector I have ever seen looks like this I just don't know where
you are coming from when you keep saying they are. They are great for what they are
I have done retro's on other cars and know whats involved it's a little more work
than these thats what makes them great is the ease of installation. I have googled
FX45 projectors and they look nothing like the one in the DIY so I ask again how are your
projectors FX45 maybe I'm missing something here are you selling some other kit I have
not seen.Also in your diy you can clearly see the back of the bulb and it is not a stock d2s bulb it is specific to the housing that is not to say a stock d2s bulb will not work can you give me more insight here

The Halo's are an add on. No FX45 has halo's, but just because they don't have them, doesn't mean that when the projectors are made, you can't add them on. The bulb at the back of the projector already has a D2S bulb there WITH the special connector that is needed to connect to a aftermarket HID system. That's why they look odd.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member
Are you trying to say that the projector (lens) is from a FX45 if that is the case then that is only one part of the projector the bowl is the other and in my opinion a bit more important than the lens, thats not to say that the lens does nothing but you can't call it a FX45 projector if this is the case. I think it's a little misleading to say you can change the bulbs easily especially when you have to purchase a special adapter to make it work again thats just my opinion

Old 05-26-2009, 08:53 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Are you trying to say that the projector (lens) is from a FX45 if that is the case then that is only one part of the projector the bowl is the other and in my opinion a bit more important than the lens, thats not to say that the lens does nothing but you can't call it a FX45 projector if this is the case. I think it's a little misleading to say you can change the bulbs easily especially when you have to purchase a special adapter to make it work again thats just my opinion
The lens is from a FX45. That's right. As for the projector bowl, it's designed off of the FX45. The reason we couldn't use the FX45 one is becasue of the limited space that we had. We needed something smaller that can be a universal fit in all cars.

As for changing the bulb, It's just like changing any other bulb. Just because you have to get an adapter, it doesn't mean that it goes from "easy" to "difficult" If you hat is a pro-fit, and you buy a golf hat with a buckle, does it mean that the golf hat is more work to put on?

Old 05-26-2009, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
So here we are it is not a FX45 projector this is my point it may be designed similar but in fact it is not and you are selling it as so that is false. Yes as far as physically changing
the bulb it's not that hard obviously if you performed the diy you would be mechanically inclined enough to perform the task. What I'm trying to convey is that I the customer
ask "is it easy to change the bulbs" and you say "ya no problem at all its standard d2s bulbs" so I run out and purchase d2s bulbs and for some reason they don't match up with
my connectors so I contact you and you go OH well you just need to purchase this adapter in my opinion that's what makes it not so easy, not the actual performing the bulb change. This is what people need to know when they purchase this kit and just so you know this would not prevent me from purchasing this kit it is a great product. The fact that I have spent a good amount of money on this kit,and to perform a simple bulb change requires me to spend more money is a little frustrating

Old 05-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Here's the thing,

The PROJECTOR is from an FX45. The bowl is designed off of a FX45. The cut off lines is still an FX45. As i've stated in all my posts, the projector uses a FX45 Projector.

As for the bulb, the bulb is very easy to replace. just because you have to get an adaptor, it is still the same dificulty.

Now, this is the info from MY kit. NOT the kit that you purchased. Anyone who has purchased this kit from me has asked me many questions because they needed to know what they're getting themselves into. I'm sorry, but if you didn't do your research on the product that you purchsed, i'm nbot to blame. Talk to "Fitster" He purchased one from me. He's had no issues. He loves the kit. He asked me lots of questions. He did his research. He has no complaints.

Again, the info i'm giving you is for MY kit, NOT the kit you purchased from someone else. If you've got issues with your kit, ask them instead of saying that i'm falsely advertising my product.

So here we are it is not a FX45 projector this is my point it may be designed similar but in fact it is not and you are selling it as so that is false. Yes as far as physically changing
the bulb it's not that hard obviously if you performed the diy you would be mechanically inclined enough to perform the task. What I'm trying to convey is that I the customer
ask "is it easy to change the bulbs" and you say "ya no problem at all its standard d2s bulbs" so I run out and purchase d2s bulbs and for some reason they don't match up with
my connectors so I contact you and you go OH well you just need to purchase this adapter in my opinion that's what makes it not so easy, not the actual performing the bulb change. This is what people need to know when they purchase this kit and just so you know this would not prevent me from purchasing this kit it is a great product. The fact that I have spent a good amount of money on this kit,and to perform a simple bulb change requires me to spend more money is a little frustrating

Old 05-26-2009, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member
At the risk of provoking yet another riot over this product, Is there some info on the adapter? what is it called, where is it purchased, how much... etc.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
Once again let me state it is NOT I repeat NOT a FX45 projector you can design all you want and it will still never be a FX45 projector it may be close even though I have seen cutoff pics of both projectors and FX45 is much improved.Let me also state again the lens is only part of the equation and the shield inside is part of what gives you the cutoff.Again if you read my post I said the difficulty is not the problem in changing the bulb but the fact that you have to purchase an adapter which you conveniently leave out until I asked about it. Just remember you don't have my kit but what I have is detailed pics of yours and rest assured they are the same with possibly a different lens. I am totally happy with my kit why are acting as if I'm not. Through this whole conversation I still always said it's a great kit I would purchase it again but I feel the information you are giving is not totally correct. Lets just say the FIT is designed around a Ferrari it doen not make it a Ferrari.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:46 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nekret
At the risk of provoking yet another riot over this product, Is there some info on the adapter? what is it called, where is it purchased, how much... etc.
I just call it a "D2S to Aftermarket" connector. It's about $30

Old 05-26-2009, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit of RAGE
I just call it a "D2S to Aftermarket" connector. It's about $30
do you have pictures of it?

or is this it->
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-pai...19193007r14831

Last edited by nekret; 05-26-2009 at 11:46 PM. Reason: did some research
Old 05-27-2009, 03:14 AM
5 Year Member
Yes those are the adapters that are required

Old 05-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member

Yes those are it. and as usual, Ebay is cheaper. :P

Old 05-29-2009, 01:42 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
if anyone wants them just do a search.

Last edited by niko3257; 05-29-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
Talking where do i get the supplies from

where can i get the bolt on projector lens and the halo ring and the cover and all from where????!!???

Old 06-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by chivo_fit
where can i get the bolt on projector lens and the halo ring and the cover and all from where????!!???
you've been PM-ed

Old 06-23-2009, 02:36 AM
Hi,

are those projectors with HID?

Thanx

Old 06-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitKnight
Hi,

are those projectors with HID?

Thanx

Yes they are. The HID's are available in 6000k, 8000k and 10,000K. 4000K is available upon special request for an additional $100

Old 06-23-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Fit of RAGE
Yes they are. The HID's are available in 6000k, 8000k and 10,000K. 4000K is available upon special request for an additional $100
Thanx for the information man.

Your DIY works does inspired me to retrofit the headlight. Unfortunately, u are kinda too far outta my land.

mine now kinda shinning too low...is there anyway we can tilt up the lights?
I am driving with Hi Beam all the while...

Old 01-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Where you buy this at??? i saw some chinese new paper so i suppose u live in LA?