Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Water spots

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
Water spots

So these sprinklers at my work always go off in the middle of the day. Which i think is stupid, they should set the timers to like 6AM or something. But anyway, I got waterspots that dont come off when i wash the car. Have they been burned into the paint from the sun? And would claybar help? Thanks!

Old 01-20-2009, 11:12 PM
i would suggested claying the car then waxing it. That way when the sprinklers go off, the water will just slide off the car

Old 01-20-2009, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member
f'sheezy. Yeah I wax everytime i wash. So the spots just turn really white(because of wax probably?) I'm not sure. LOL.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:36 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
its probably the oxygen in the water that oxidizes the wax and leaves those white spots.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kylerwho
its probably the oxygen in the water that oxidizes the wax and leaves those white spots.
yeah you're probably right. But i washed my car this weekend. And the spots left previously by the sprinklers did not come off completely. I can still see an outline of those water spots. Will they ever come off or am i out of luck?

Old 01-20-2009, 11:46 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
as long as the paint doesnt oxidize then it will come out. it takes a while for water to oxidize paint. it would take a pool of water sitting in one spot for a while. strip the wax off then wash and was it and everything should look good.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kylerwho
as long as the paint doesnt oxidize then it will come out. it takes a while for water to oxidize paint. it would take a pool of water sitting in one spot for a while. strip the wax off then wash and was it and everything should look good.
haha. i see. cool dude, thanks. Ill probably claybar it the next time i decide to wash. Hopefully it will help out.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
yeah claying and re waxing should have it nice and "spotless" haha

Old 01-21-2009, 03:55 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Unfortunately you may have etching. Normally called rain etching but this isnt rain. This happens when waterspots are left on too long and the minerals just eat the clear cloat away. If theyre not too deep a claybar might remove them. But if that wont get it off you will need to get it polished. Try to park away from the sprinklers. They have very hard unfiltered water which leaves some really hard waterspots.

Also waxing at every wash is a horrible idea. Not only does it waste money, but wax removes wax. That is why its also a bad idea to put more than 2 layers of wax, and thats only to ensure youve covered everything. Look up the law of diminishing returns for car waxes. You shouldnt have to re-wax more than every 3 months assuming your using a decent quality wax.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
the alkaline water spots are the result of the calcium and magnesium salts from the water droplets being left behind when the water evaporates. these don't disolve back into water, so washing won't make them go away. you should wash your car with dawn dish detergent to remove all of the wax on your car. then try claybaring. if the clay bar doesn't work, you can try a mild 1 part distilled white vinegar to 3 parts water solution applied directly to the spots with a soft terry towel or microfiber towel. that should take care of minor water marks. wash the area again with soap to remove any vinegar residue left behind, then of course re-apply polish and wax to the entire vehicle.

hope this helps, good luck!

Old 01-21-2009, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Unfortunately you may have etching. Normally called rain etching but this isnt rain. This happens when waterspots are left on too long and the minerals just eat the clear cloat away. If theyre not too deep a claybar might remove them. But if that wont get it off you will need to get it polished. Try to park away from the sprinklers. They have very hard unfiltered water which leaves some really hard waterspots.

Also waxing at every wash is a horrible idea. Not only does it waste money, but wax removes wax. That is why its also a bad idea to put more than 2 layers of wax, and thats only to ensure youve covered everything. Look up the law of diminishing returns for car waxes. You shouldnt have to re-wax more than every 3 months assuming your using a decent quality wax.
Yeah, but the spots where on for no more than a week. But I am aware of the hard water from the hose/sprinklers. But hopefully a claybar will help. And the wax I use, I don't know if it would be called wax. I use the Turtle Wax ice liquid polish. I know its got polymers and what not but the stuff is so liquidy that I dont know how effective it is compared to traditional wax. But thanks dude! +1

Old 01-21-2009, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tofuman
the alkaline water spots are the result of the calcium and magnesium salts from the water droplets being left behind when the water evaporates. these don't disolve back into water, so washing won't make them go away. you should wash your car with dawn dish detergent to remove all of the wax on your car. then try claybaring. if the clay bar doesn't work, you can try a mild 1 part distilled white vinegar to 3 parts water solution applied directly to the spots with a soft terry towel or microfiber towel. that should take care of minor water marks. wash the area again with soap to remove any vinegar residue left behind, then of course re-apply polish and wax to the entire vehicle.

hope this helps, good luck!
Cool, yeah I think i might wash the car with dish detergent to remove everything and just start over with a claybar and wax. Thanks dude! +1

Old 01-31-2009, 12:44 PM
i think dish washing soap is dangerous

Old 01-31-2009, 01:35 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Dish washing soap isnt necessarily dangerous, but it will strip your car of any wax. Many pro detailers use it pre-detail to remove whatever protection was on there before. Although many other pro detailers are against it since it is not made for automobiles and doesnt provide good lubricity and doesnt encapsulate the dirt the ways car soap does.

I personally prefer using a strong car soap that is intended to remove wax and sealant pre-detail. I use chemical guys citrus wash and clear Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Clear | Detailed Image

Cleans the paint extremely well and has good lubricity with plenty of suds to prevent any further swirling or marring.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:05 AM
I realize this thread is over a year old but thought my question would fit here.

I own a new 2010 fit and I am having trouble removing stuborn water spots from the black plastic thats in front of the front cozy window. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what can I do to get rid of them??

Thanks in advance
Unfit

Old 10-11-2010, 03:34 AM
5 Year Member
Spots

Whatever approach you take, I think with some attention and dilligence the water spots should fade. Worst case, you'd need a good detailer.....

But the real problem is parking next to the sprinklers...you need to break the cycle. Random Sprinkler dousings followed by hours of unattended "drying" in the sunlight is simply not good.

It will negate any washing, waxing, polishing you do. Park Elsewhere or talk work into reprogramming the sprinkler timers. ...Usually Noonday is about the worst time to water anyway...