Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

foglights aren't working - what do i check?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 09:23 AM
foglights aren't working - what do i check?

before i picked up my '08 fit from the dealership (i got it used) i had them perform the recall work regarding the headlight wiring harness on the steering column. now, after nearly a month of ownership (doh!), we finally had some fog and i went to turn on the foglights and they don't come on when i turn the switch. could they have messed up my foglights when they did the recall work?

and if it's not the wiring harness, what else could it be? couldn't be the bulbs themselves, right? what are the odds of both burning out at the same time? is there a fuse somewhere i can check? anything else i can look at?

i'd much rather a diy fix for this than to take it into the dealer and have my wallet raped.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:38 PM
They worked before you had the recall done? Did you check it when you did the test drive? I'm going to the dealership before I even touch my toolbox. The worst they can say is "no"

Probably not the bulbs, you are correct in assuming low chances of them blowing at the same time.

Could be a fuse, but fuses don't blow for no reason, so that points to another problem.

Don't have a GD so can't give specific advice about locations and such, just sharing that i'd be pissed at the dealership used car or not.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:34 PM
the sad truth is, i completely forgot to check them to make sure they worked before i drove off the lot. i don't really use fog lights all that often. i know some people use them all the time, but i only use them in fog (go figure!) and if there's heavy rain at night.

it just so happens that today i finally had a reason to use them.

i probably don't have a leg to stand on if i take the car back to the dealer, so that's why i'm hoping another fit freak can guide me through some DIY diagnostics and repair. if i have to resort to the dealer, i'm gonna get taken for wayyy too much money. :/

i took a look at the bulbs themselves and they definitely don't look blown. there's absolutely no damage to either of the lenses either. i'm not sure which fuses i should be looking at, but really i should get a meter to check those instead of relying on a visual inspection. don't have a meter of my own, but i'll have access to one come thanksgiving.

if anyone out there has a gd and can help me out, please reply or hit me with a pm. i'd be much obliged!

Old 11-14-2012, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
Did you turn on the headlights first? Since they won't come on unless the headlights are on the low beam setting.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
Did you turn on the headlights first? Since they won't come on unless the headlights are on the low beam setting.
X2 on this. Not completely presuming you didn't do this but can't rule anything out when trouble shooting any issues.

I should have the lighting section from the 2008 Fit service manual somewhere on my hard drive. PM me your e-mail and I'll send you the .pdf file tomorrow.

I'd start by removing both fog light housings from the bumper (should be one 8 or 10mm per side), disconnect the connectors, check the fog light bulbs condition as well as the resistance in the wiring to the fog lights.

I would advise NOT to remove the top cover for the steering column since its pretty easy to break a clip on the cover AND you don't need any reason for the dealer to claim that you messed with the vehicle's wiring after said recall was done since the replacement wire that was soldered in is located directly under said cover.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:14 PM
i was stupid for not double checking all the lights before driving off the lot, but not so stupid as to try turning on the fog lights without first turning on the headlights.

i'll have to try your suggestion this weekend, hootie. sounds like a good place to start. check your pm's for my e-mail, and thank you!